Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2018, 07:59 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: California
THOR #10948
Advise please on buying Thor Fourwind 22 ft

I just joined yesterday. Hope I am using this forum correctly. I have found a 2017 Four Wind for sale. 22', one bedroom slide out. It was a rental in LA. Mileage around 30,000. I'm a first time buyer. What problems is it likely to have? What should I be aware to look at when I go see it? Can anyone give me a heads up or warning? Anyone own one?

Old 03-12-2018, 10:46 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Congratulations on the start of a new adventure, and for finding us!
I.m no expert; but I'd start with pondering these items:
But the mileage would make seeing some service records pretty smart
Use a trained nose, and check for mustiness in the storage areas, and around all of the plumbing.
Make sure that EVERYTHING works as it should
I'd take a close look at the awning...

Good luck, and Happy Hunting!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:21 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
No to rentals. The opportunity for abuse of the systems, drivetrain, etc. are too much on a rental. Often some clod rents it and is clueless as to how to care for it let alone even give abuse a second thought.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:32 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I'm guessing you're talking about the 22B Model?
This floorplan:

I agree with Bob: ask for service records (especially since its a rental they should have some knowledge). Make sure both the engine and generator has had enough oil changes (check the generator hours as well).

All those miles will shake things around a bit make sure all the cabinet doors open/close smoothly (also make sure when closed they stay closed). Same thing with the drawers: open/close smoothly and when closed they stay closed.

Look for leaks under the sinks, shower, toilet (e.g. in cabinets under the sinks, if there is an access panel below the shower ask for that to be opened and look in there, etc.). Also look in the outside storage for leaks (door leaks, leaks from the road, etc.).

Since this was a rental I'd guess that a lot of the initial quality issues were addressed by the first few renters but I'd still want to make sure everything is good.

You could also go through a good predelivery checklist (an example of one is included in Ed Felker's Axis/Vegas manual: here (it is specific to Axis/Vegas but a lot of the concepts carry over to any RV model)).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:38 PM   #5

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
I too would be very wary of buying a rental. I have seen rentals in use, during our travels, and there is just too much of a chance it has suffered abuse. I would stop short of saying don't buy it, but it certainly warrants a far more detailed inspection then it might otherwise.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:51 PM   #6

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrasser View Post
I just joined yesterday. Hope I am using this forum correctly. I have found a 2017 Four Wind for sale. 22', one bedroom slide out. It was a rental in LA. Mileage around 30,000. I'm a first time buyer. What problems is it likely to have? What should I be aware to look at when I go see it? Can anyone give me a heads up or warning? Anyone own one?

You are smart to ask questions. A lot of helpful folks here. Have you bought used cars before? How about pre-owned homes? RVs are a combination of both. Murphy's law sometimes prevails. The best advice I can give is rent one before you buy one. Better yet, rent several. Yes, it is expensive, but still cheaper than buying the wrong unit.

That said, you would be smart to have any coach you are serious about inspected, by someone besides the seller, for you since this is your first. 30K is higher than average for a 2017 RV, and it has been a rental. While it probably had regular engine maintenance, have you heard the phrase, "Drive it like you rented it"?

Some things often missed by first time buyers: The tires on many RVs need to be replaced after just 5 years, regardless of mileage. Something to include in your budget. And, RV ads boast super low monthly payments by stretching the loan out to 20 or more years, with a low downpayment. That's a trap, as you will be upside down from the start, meaning you owe more than it's worth. That problem only gets worse over time. Buying used does ease the pain, but you;ll be smart to watch that.

One other thing for first time buyers. A corner bed can be a real pain for two people who don't retire and arise at the same times. You didn't say which 22' Four Winds you are considering, but I would suggest you pass on the 22E.

You will no doubt get many good suggestions from your questions. Keep asking, collectively, we have made almost every mistake that can be made!
Old 03-13-2018, 01:50 AM   #7
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
My current rig was a rental... But it wasn't my first MH.
Having someone help with the inspection (that works for YOU) is a good idea if your first purchase.. otherwise make sure you do a thorough inspection before signing/paying.

While there is a risk of how it was treated, I think the dealers spend more time prepping a rental (they lose money if it isn't available to rent) - and they know the problem areas to address.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:01 AM   #8

THOR #10948
Thank you all for the advise! What a wonderful website to have found. It is the 22B I'm considering, and I realized the odometer is 25 something, not 30,000. Are there any problems specific to Thor or the Four Winds models that I would not find in other makes or models?
Old 03-13-2018, 09:35 AM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrasser View Post
Thank you all for the advise! What a wonderful website to have found. It is the 22B I'm considering, and I realized the odometer is 25 something, not 30,000. Are there any problems specific to Thor or the Four Winds models that I would not find in other makes or models?
No, they are all the same with the same issues.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:46 PM   #10

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
THOR #3559
Rental MH

We would be very leary about buying a former rental motorhome. Here in California "motorhome rental packages/tours" are apparently sold to Europeans. It is my understanding that these nice people fly into San Francisco or Los Angeles, pick up a rental motorhome and start driving through California. The central coast appears to be very popular. We have met people from Germany, Belgium, Spain, Netherlands, Sweden, Switzerland, U K and even China (not Europe, I know). Anyway, these nice folks are not used to driving large vehicles much less an 8 ton Class C and almost always need assistance backing in, hooking up, etc.

Further, Mr. Homer has a customer that routinely does body work/insurance work on motorhome through a local rental agency and it is appalling the stories we have heard.

Not only would I steer clear of buying a rental, watch out if you see one coming toward you! They are nice folks but they are not the best drivers!
Old 03-13-2018, 07:20 PM   #11

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Have had many of the same experiences that Homer3 describes, plus we have also met some folks from Australia, in addition to many Europeans. I echo Homer's comments, they are very friendly and interesting folks, but in most instances very inexperienced drivers of large vehicles, and the operation of RV's. If you do focus on a former rental, I would suggest having a mechanic and RV tech you select, go over it with a fine tooth comb.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:43 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #2544
I wouldn't rule it out just because it is a rental. If it was one of the larger RV rental companies it probably was maintained after each rental. I would want to see service and repair records. If the unit has been wrecked I wouldn't want it. I used to live across from a guy who always bought rental cars because they have relatively low miles and were well maintained. I would also have an independent inspection performed. Also if this is a good rental company they should probably offer a short warranty or perhaps rent it for a week and have rental costs go to purchase if you decide to buy. Good luck!
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:02 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Buying a rental RV: How bad can it be?

Oh...

Old 03-13-2018, 10:12 PM   #14

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
THOR #3559
Yeah, you definitely DO NOT want to buy that one! That's what I would be concerned about. I've seen that guy at more than one KOA!!!
Old 03-13-2018, 10:14 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I agree... although i might be first cousins, with a guy just like him!
Old 03-13-2018, 10:35 PM   #16
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Or this guy:
Old 03-13-2018, 10:37 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Since you brought up the "Sewer Side of Things"...

:r ofl: