Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2015, 04:57 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: British Columbia
THOR #2763
Question Air conditioner - are round vents both output?

Hi, we are on the edge of purchasing a Citation Sprinter 24SR. I've seen many posts about the house A/C system not blowing out the grilles that are over the cab, and the units we've looked at locally have the same fault.

So when we go to inspect the one that we are buying, should we be looking for air to come out of BOTH of the two round grilles in the bedroom and both of the two that are over the cab area? Or is one of those round grilles in each zone meant to suck air back into the A/C system for circulation? When I checked the performance of one coach, I found only one bedroom vent grille was blowing air, there was lots of air coming out from the rectangular grille right beside the a/c unit in the living area, and zero output from either of the two round grilles over the cab area.

Wanna make sure I am looking for the right thing when we go to do our inspection!

Thanks, all.

Old 08-30-2015, 05:47 PM   #2

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Our unit has the main air which has slides on the side, as you close those slides more air will come out of the round vents. That was the instructions we received when we bought the unit.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:09 PM   #3

THOR #2763
So if I close the louvers near the A/C itself, is air supposed to come out of both of the round vents in the bedroom ceiling, or only out of one of them?
Old 08-30-2015, 07:33 PM   #4

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Utah
THOR #2562
If it only has one ac unit and you close the vents that are directly on the ac unit all of the round ceiling vents should blow air. If you open the vents on the ac unit it's self you won't get much at all out of the round vents. There similar to your house where you have to adjust each vent to force more air where you want it to go. If you keep the ones over where you want the air wide open and partially or completely close the others it will force more air to the open ones. If you have two or more ac's they will be independent to each ac unit.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:56 PM   #5

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
When we set up our new Vegas 24.1 at Disney's Fort Wilderness it was 96 degrees. When I hooked up the shore power & turned on the A/C I opened all the slides on the vents in the ceiling unit to max cool down the kitchen/living area. After about an hour I closed all the slides on the louvers and the cool air came out all the ducts in the bedroom, bath, kitchen and living area. It stayed in the 90s yet the Vegas was cool -- so cool at night I used a light cover.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:01 PM   #6

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
That is what we where told to leave main open at first to cool down then close main slides to push air to round vents and the rest of the coach.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:36 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Keep an eye on it with the vents completely closed. Our old 5er didn't have enough airflow through the vents and would freeze up the A/C if I completely closed the vents.

I haven't had that issue with the Axis though but out of habit I keep the vents partially open.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:46 PM   #8

Model: Siesta 24SR
State: Arizona
THOR #1894
Hi, We bought our Siesta Sprinter 24SR in April. We live in Tucson and have only camped in AZ and NM. You are right, not much air comes out of those vents above the bed. If you close the louvers on the AC you should get noticeable (but not much) air flow out of both the vents.

It is just me and my wife, so we keep those vents closed and use that bunk area for pillow/blanket storage and keep the bunk floor open when camping. I put a small table top fan up there on the side to help with air movement. It has been a pretty warm summer but the AC has managed to keep it cool enough inside.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:32 AM   #9

THOR #2763
Aha! So the air is supposed to come out of both round vents...but there may not be enough "blow" from the A/C unit to actually force a good cool breeze out of them.

The one coach I looked closely at only had an airflow coming from one of the bedroom vents, and the other was completely still. We are buying from a different dealer this week, though, and I wanted to confirm that I knew what to look for.

Thanks!
Old 06-03-2016, 09:32 PM   #10

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #4234
On driver's side, none of the A/C ducts have any air blowing through them. This includes the living area, bathroom, and one side of the bedroom. I've shut off the vents to the interior A/C unit. We also upgraded to the 15K condenser.

I was told the vents could be "intake" but that seems improbable to me. Any comments? Taking the Axis in for some warranty issues in a couple of weeks. Will drive to N Canton, Oh to get it done. Thanks, ~debbie
Old 06-03-2016, 09:40 PM   #11

Model: ACE 27.1
State: California
THOR #3186
Like any air/heating system you have to balance the blower air distribution system to fit your needs. The air will take the path of least resistance. You can also use a small fan to help circulate the air within the coach.

Return air ducts will have a filter.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:50 PM   #12

THOR #2601
In my Vegas 24.1 there are 8 round ceiling vents. 4 in the bedroom, 1 in hallway (near refrigerator), 1 in bathroom, and 2 in living room. When the vents on the A/C itself in the living room are slid closed all the air is routed to the 8 ducts. We have the 15K A/C, and when only routing air to the round ducts there is NOTICABLE air flow. In fact down right breezy even with the thermostat set on the lower speed. Our unit provided plenty of sir through all the round ducts. It keeps our temp at 70 degrees with no problem even here in FL with 90+ degree outside temps. So if you have low or no flow in the round ceiling ducts when the vents on the unit are closed you have either blocked ducts or ducts not connected.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 06-03-2016, 11:20 PM   #13

THOR #2601
I think the a/C cold air return is the large square area where the filter is on the ceiling unit. The grills we have been talking about closing are on the periphery of the unit. The filter is in the center & that's the return.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 06-04-2016, 12:06 AM   #14

THOR #4234
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
In my Vegas 24.1 there are 8 round ceiling vents. 4 in the bedroom, 1 in hallway (near refrigerator), 1 in bathroom, and 2 in living room. When the vents on the A/C itself in the living room are slid closed all the air is routed to the 8 ducts. We have the 15K A/C, and when only routing air to the round ducts there is NOTICABLE air flow. In fact down right breezy even with the thermostat set on the lower speed. Our unit provided plenty of sir through all the round ducts. It keeps our temp at 70 degrees with no problem even here in FL with 90+ degree outside temps. So if you have low or no flow in the round ceiling ducts when the vents on the unit are closed you have either blocked ducts or ducts not connected.
Thanks Ed and Bev!
That's what I thought. Perhaps not connected to that side, or blocked as you say. No air flow to those ducts whatsoever.
I'll put on warranty list. debbie
Old 06-04-2016, 12:09 AM   #15

THOR #2601
My bet would be not connected.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 06-04-2016, 12:18 AM   #16

THOR #4234
Quote:
My bet would be not connected.
Me too, thanks!
Old 06-04-2016, 02:58 AM   #17
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
I think the a/C cold air return is the large square area where the filter is on the ceiling unit. The grills we have been talking about closing are on the periphery of the unit. The filter is in the center & that's the return.
Ed .. I am glad you added this comment to your thread...as Ron says the big square on the ceiling is cold return...we have the same number and location of round vents as you on our 2016 Axis. We noticed tiny bits of styrofoam blowing out of the vents when we first turned on the unit...that did not last long..our a/c runs so cold, we shut it off !!
Of course, right now we are in the AZ desert and it gets chilly at night..a window open a bit is wonderful.

Ron agrees with you Ed, that it could be clogged or not connected properly.

K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:41 AM   #18
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb
We noticed tiny bits of styrofoam blowing out of the vents when we first turned on the unit
We also had the snow from the A/C when it was new. I believe that the "pipes" for the A/C are just channels dug out of the ceiling foam. It should be pretty easy to cut out any blocks for the vents..if the block was reachable.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 03:52 AM   #19

Model: 2014 Siesta 24 ST
State: Louisiana
THOR #6042
While driving, does driver compartment serve as heating cooling for entire interior of rig ? I've noticed it's stuffy as we take a drive, even an hour long, and my youngster gets car sick with no 'fresh air' moving back there. Weather doesn't always permit a window to be opened in the riding portion of the rig. Please and thank you.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:04 PM   #20
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaming Vernon View Post
While driving, does driver compartment serve as heating cooling for entire interior of rig ? I've noticed it's stuffy as we take a drive, even an hour long, and my youngster gets car sick with no 'fresh air' moving back there. Weather doesn't always permit a window to be opened in the riding portion of the rig. Please and thank you.
Answers in your separate thread: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...sick-5943.html
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote