Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2017, 08:33 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #7227
Air conditioner temp?

A little survey if you don't mind? What kind size air conditioner do you have and what is the temp of the air it puts out?

Old 07-07-2017, 09:04 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Don't you think the temperature air coming out depends on the speed of the air as well as the temperature of the air going in? Simple thermodynamics. /thread
Old 07-07-2017, 09:05 PM   #3

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
We have a 215 Vegas 24.1 with what was an optional 15K A/C. I've never measured the air exiting the duct, but I can tell you in FL 90+ degree temp my wife can get our coach down to 70 degrees.

I have the 3 rectangular vents on the A/C base in the living area closed so that all the air is diverted into the 8 round ceiling ducts (4 in the bedroom, 1 in the bath, 1 in the hallway in front of the refrigerator, and 2 in the living room). The inside room temp is very stable and the air blowing out the 8 ducts is very substantial.

Right now we are camped in the Amish area of PA. Outside temp is 84 degrees and the thermostat is set at 70 degrees. The A/C just shut off and the coach is cool enough to wear a light sweater.

We live in Tampa and 70% of our camping has been in FL summer conditions. The coach always is cool and the A/C does not have to run continuously trying to reach the thermostat set temp. The 24.1 is 25 ft long and is the smallest floorplan for the Vegas/Axis. We find the 15K on this floorplan more than adequate and I am glad we chose that option instead of the 2015's standard 13.5 K A/C. I know some folks with larger Vegas/Axis, or ACE or Winds port are not getting the same cooling performance as us based on comments I've read in the forum.

Jamiegeek has done temperature measurements and he'll probably chime in with far more exacting performance assessment.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:13 PM   #4

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Our coach has dual 13,500 ACs. On a recent trip to Galveston it was 95 with no shade for the coach, AC would put frost on the windows if I turned it down!

Forgot to mention they are Coleman.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:26 PM   #5

THOR #7227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Don't you think the temperature air coming out depends on the speed of the air as well as the temperature of the air going in? Simple thermodynamics. /thread

Not helpful
Old 07-07-2017, 10:36 PM   #6

THOR #5196
Also installing one of these round vents in your inner cover helps increase the airflow a lot. You can get them from Amazon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2044.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	5682
Old 07-07-2017, 10:42 PM   #7

THOR #7227
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Also installing one of these round vents in your inner cover helps increase the airflow a lot. You can get them from Amazon.

Attachment 5682

Thank you that's helpful.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:21 PM   #8

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamJanTan View Post
Thank you that's helpful.
You are very welcome,
Old 07-07-2017, 11:49 PM   #9

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Not helpful
He probably meant to say that the last part of your question can't have just one answer as the question is worded.

"The temperature of the air it puts out" would be very different at 2 PM versus 2 AM, etc. Generally, A/Cs are designed to lower air temperature by "approximately" 20 F. When air in RV is around 75 F, then we should expect temperature right at discharge vent to be around 55 F. If air is warmer in RV then air it puts out will also be warmer. And obviously cooler air going in means cooler air coming out.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:24 AM   #10

State: Ontario
THOR #971
We have a challenger 35 HT and I had poor air flow from the farthest vents. If you contact Thor they will send you the air flow plan for your coach and you may find something very interesting. The AC vents run from front to back so if you have an overhead bunk and there is no vents there it does not mean you are not sending cold air down the entire length because you are. Remove the farthest vent and install foil tape to stop the air flow from traveling to the end of the coach were there is no vents. You will find your airflow is way better.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:29 AM   #11

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Chance is right. Get a quick read thermometer or an infrared one works too....
measure the temp at the intake and compare that at the discharge. Probably not at the end of the duct, but the one right out of the AC. If you have roughly 20 degree F drop, then the AC is doing about all it can do. Some may be a little more or a little less....

I have read that this is also about all you expect the average RV unit to cool down the house too.....so if you are in the desert at 100 degrees, the house will only cool down to around 80 or so. You'd think it would keep getting cooler and cooler, but that is offset by the heat loss through the poorly insulated walls, windows, etc...

I have verified that mine does around a 20 degree delta, but I haven't really logged what sort of temps it will maintain in various ambient conditions. I'll say this....on a hot day in the sun such as last year at a beach campground we stayed at for example, if the house is already hot when we turn the AC on, it won't get cold till night. If the AC is running in the AM and really gets the house cold, it might struggle to keep up but it stays more or less comfortable.

Mine is a 15,000 btuh Mach 15
Old 07-08-2017, 12:37 AM   #12

THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky220 View Post
We have a challenger 35 HT and I had poor air flow from the farthest vents. If you contact Thor they will send you the air flow plan for your coach and you may find something very interesting. The AC vents run from front to back so if you have an overhead bunk and there is no vents there it does not mean you are not sending cold air down the entire length because you are. Remove the farthest vent and install foil tape to stop the air flow from traveling to the end of the coach were there is no vents. You will find your airflow is way better.
interesting Sparky!
Old 07-08-2017, 12:53 AM   #13
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Not helpful
Really? How many replies have included temperature readings? Your survey as worded is meaningless. As Chance said I can tell you my 15,000 BTU AC puts out 85 degree air (at 3:00 pm in Florida summer when I first turn it on) or I can tell you that same AC puts out 45 degree air (at 6:00 am after the entire coach has cooled to 65 degrees inside.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:55 AM   #14

THOR #7227
I just thought about how much colder the air was coming out of my Jeep AC and wondered if anyone had that in their coach. I know different systems, thermodynamics, Yada Yada. I asked a poor question. Just looking for suggestions for helping to cool coach.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:20 AM   #15

THOR #5196
Quote:
I just thought about how much colder the air was coming out of my Jeep AC and wondered if anyone had that in their coach. I know different systems, thermodynamics, Yada Yada. I asked a poor question. Just looking for suggestions for helping to cool coach.
You don't say which coach or AC unit you have. If your coach doesn't have any shade then covering the inside of the windows with insulation will help. Insulating pillows in your roof vents and the louver for your inside AC cover will all help. It takes a while to get all the interior cooled down but once it is it's easier to maintain a more comfortable temp.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:55 AM   #16

THOR #908
also fans can help, just like a good ceiling fan at home can make it feel much colder.

I'll be the Jeep's AC is really any colder than the 20 degree or so delta.....but it's fan is likely a lot stronger, and its btu capacity is a lot higher for the thermal load.....small space, fewer drafts/better door seals, etc....
Old 07-08-2017, 12:36 PM   #17

THOR #7227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Really? How many replies have included temperature readings? Your survey as worded is meaningless. As Chance said I can tell you my 15,000 BTU AC puts out 85 degree air (at 3:00 pm in Florida summer when I first turn it on) or I can tell you that same AC puts out 45 degree air (at 6:00 am after the entire coach has cooled to 65 degrees inside.

The information you just provided was exactly what I was looking for! So while it is meaningless TO YOU! What temps are coming out of you system is what was asking about. When that is compared to outside temps even better information.
Old 07-08-2017, 01:10 PM   #18

THOR #7227
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
also fans can help, just like a good ceiling fan at home can make it feel much colder.

I'll be the Jeep's AC is really any colder than the 20 degree or so delta.....but it's fan is likely a lot stronger, and its btu capacity is a lot higher for the thermal load.....small space, fewer drafts/better door seals, etc....

The jeep is putting out much colder air. Low to mid 50s while the coach is low to mid 60s this morn
Old 07-08-2017, 01:15 PM   #19

THOR #7227
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
You don't say which coach or AC unit you have. If your coach doesn't have any shade then covering the inside of the windows with insulation will help. Insulating pillows in your roof vents and the louver for your inside AC cover will all help. It takes a while to get all the interior cooled down but once it is it's easier to maintain a more comfortable temp.

The AC states Coleman Mach on interior cover. Manual has AIRXCEL on it. 15K. Seems to do the 20 degree ambient reduction but not keeping up in heat of the day. Just looking for suggestions
Old 07-08-2017, 01:22 PM   #20

THOR #5196
Quote:
The AC states Coleman Mach on interior cover. Manual has AIRXCEL on it. 15K. Seems to do the 20 degree ambient reduction but not keeping up in heat of the day. Just looking for suggestions
Which coach do you have, knowing that perhaps more suggestions can be made to decrease your temps.