Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2022, 06:54 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Kansas
THOR #26286
Air Suspension Failure

The air suspension on my Palazzo 33.3 will not inflate & raise up to drive. What can I check-out and/or what emergency fixes can I make to get going? As it is now it will be difficult to even get it to a repair facility.

Old 03-22-2022, 07:17 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Lucky* View Post
The air suspension on my Palazzo 33.3 will not inflate & raise up to drive. What can I check-out and/or what emergency fixes can I make to get going? As it is now it will be difficult to even get it to a repair facility.
Do you have pressure in the compressor tank?
Can you hear a hissing noise (air escaping) when the engine is on?
Does the air compressor have a fuse?
Did you check the air compressor and hoses around it?

Those would be the first things I would look for...
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 07:28 PM   #3

THOR #26286
I'm new to this sort of thing and apologize for not including other important information.

The compressor runs and registers 75 pounds on both the primary and secondary guages. If I rev the engine a while I can get the pressure up to near 100 pounds. I don't hear any escaping air, but my hearing isn't the best. The lever that's used to lower the coach to park it seems to do nothing when flipped back and forth.

I appreciate any help I get!

Lucky (but not in this case)
Old 03-22-2022, 07:52 PM   #4

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
Quote:
I'm new to this sort of thing and apologize for not including other important information.

The compressor runs and registers 75 pounds on both the primary and secondary gauges. If I rev the engine a while I can get the pressure up to near 100 pounds. I don't hear any escaping air, but my hearing isn't the best. The lever that's used to lower the coach to park it seems to do nothing when flipped back and forth.

I appreciate any help I get!

Lucky (but not in this case)
100 lbs is not enough to trip the inflate valve,

i would run engine at high idle to see if it build to 120. then shut off and go out and listen for leaks
my coach will no start filling bags until at 110 psi, or if the bus was lifted real high and it over stroked the height valve it will not inflate bags until its lowered down , and cycle the dump valve

call freight liner 24/7 line and tech can walk you through several things
Old 03-22-2022, 09:12 PM   #5

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
100 lbs is not enough to trip the inflate valve,

i would run engine at high idle to see if it build to 120. then shut off and go out and listen for leaks
my coach will no start filling bags until at 110 psi, or if the bus was lifted real high and it over stroked the height valve it will not inflate bags until its lowered down , and cycle the dump valve

call freight liner 24/7 line and tech can walk you through several things
Dove tailing on your post

Best way is to dump the air bags starting completely over

As noted above you will need 100 psig plus to completely fill the air bags

If your air filter/desicant hasn't been changed in a few years that could be an issue or a place for a leak

Check around your dump valves for leaking air
The low air psig really indicates a leak in either a line, fitting, valve, or bag

As PB noted, check with the engine off as it is really hard to hear back by the engine when running
Old 03-22-2022, 10:41 PM   #6

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Does the low pressure alarm sound when you start the motor? Mine sounds until about 75 pounds and then takes maybe 3 minutes to get up past 100. Maybe star over with the motor running deflate then back to inflate. My coach takes a few minutes to finally get it up( must be getting old). What year is you Palazzo?
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 11:42 PM   #7

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
I just remembered that this would be a chassis issue so you could call a Frieghtliner shop for help.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 01:07 PM   #8

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Did you get "Lucky" and get it aired up?
Old 03-23-2022, 03:35 PM   #9

THOR #26286
Progress report. I have tried (I think) every possible routine upon start-up. I have talked with Freightliner and tried a few things they suggested. It about has to involve the dump valve -- it is either stuck or will have to be replaced. As soon as I get done canceling reservations and rescheduling I'll start doing what I can to get some space under the rig to look for that valve. Does anyone know where it is located on a 2018 Palazzo 33.3?
Old 03-23-2022, 04:24 PM   #10

THOR #1808
Quote:
Progress report. I have tried (I think) every possible routine upon start-up. I have talked with Freightliner and tried a few things they suggested. It about has to involve the dump valve -- it is either stuck or will have to be replaced. As soon as I get done canceling reservations and rescheduling I'll start doing what I can to get some space under the rig to look for that valve. Does anyone know where it is located on a 2018 Palazzo 33.3?
if have the manual dump valve..it is next to your left leg on the lower side dash panel

if you do not have the dump valve at that location,

call lippert and ask them where they put it with the leveling controller

as a suggestion. air up coach, and then have person sit in passenger seat, you go out side and have person select auto level and then LISTEN for air escaping, mine vents just above drivers wheel area.
i bet the dump valve (auto) is right under drivers seat on frame area between front tires
Old 03-28-2022, 11:31 PM   #11

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
Have you ever drained the wet tanks? If not then the system could be water logged, normal air pressure should be 120lb does your system have a dump valve that was left open? You can unhook the rod at the leveling valve and manually inflate or deflate the bags but do not drive it with the bags deflated as it will ruin the bags
Old 04-13-2022, 11:19 PM   #12

THOR #26286
This issue is finally over. I replaced the air dryer filter hoping for the best, but no help. The wife & I tried airing the system and listening for leaks but we couldn't hear any. After a lot of on-line research I finally gave up and had the nearest Freightliner dealer (about 75 miles away) send out their mobile unit. The tech immediately heard a leak! He chased it down and found apparent rodent damage. He spliced the line and now we're happy campers.
Old 04-13-2022, 11:58 PM   #13

THOR #1808
Quote:
This issue is finally over. I replaced the air dryer filter hoping for the best, but no help. The wife & I tried airing the system and listening for leaks but we couldn't hear any. After a lot of on-line research I finally gave up and had the nearest Freightliner dealer (about 75 miles away) send out their mobile unit. The tech immediately heard a leak! He chased it down and found apparent rodent damage. He spliced the line and now we're happy campers.
outstanding
glad to hear your all good
Old 04-14-2022, 02:32 AM   #14
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Why that dirty rat!