Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2015, 12:30 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 29h
State: Missouri
THOR #980
Another Thor fail

On my 2015 class C thor Outlaw some idiot either being lazy or stupid ran the drain for the bathroom sink to the black water tank rather then the gray water. I kept wondering why my black water filled up so fast and why I was always smelling sewer gas in the bathroom. Luckily I'm still under warranty, so thor get to pay the dealer to correct the problem.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:39 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Not a single idiot. That is by design for whatever reason.
Send an e-mail to Thor asking them for the waste diagrams for your unit and you'll discover that is on the prints.

Our bathroom sink is also plumbed to the black tank (and when looking at the diagram you can see that it took a lot more effort to do so than it would have been to route it to the grey tank).

I've heard various reasons as to why they do this but none of them seem that satisfactory...
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 03:01 PM   #3

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
As Jamie said, not a flaw, done by design. For most folks the gray tank fills 2 to 3 times faster than the black. Routing the bathroom sink to the black tank extends the period of time between gray tank dumps.

This is done in a lot of coaches, not just Thor. Has Thor approved a "fix"? I'd be a bit surprised if they did.

Regards,

Randy
Old 05-06-2015, 03:30 PM   #4

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Same here, it is common practice now. My ace is plumbed that way.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 03:35 PM   #5

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
By the way, you should NOT have any smell coming from the bathroom sink. There should be a standard p-trap in the drain line. If there is, the sink isn't the source of the smell!

It's a bit counter-intuitive, but do not run the exhaust fan when flushing! This will pull air from the black tank into the coach. Not nice.

Regards,

Randy
Old 05-06-2015, 03:42 PM   #6

Model: A.C.E 29.3
THOR #1620
What Randy said about running the fan! Turn it on after flushing
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 03:52 PM   #7

Brand: Crossroads
THOR #424
Also check for an air admittance valve under the sink.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:14 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
What Randy said about running the fan! Turn it on after flushing

Not just the bathroom fan! If you have a highly efficient Fantastic Fan in your living area, and no other windows open in your RV, you will be greeted by a nasty surprise when you flush!
Old 05-07-2015, 12:23 AM   #9

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #1169
My coach is plumbed the same way. All the recommendations for black tank care are to use plenty of water in the black tank to aid in draining and to prevent clogs. Having the bathroom sink plumbed to the black tank helps ensure there is adequate water. Not really a bad idea.

As for the odor, if all seals and vents are working properly.. shouldn't be an issue.

As for the fan, do not have it on when you flush, otherwise you'll be in for a surprise.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:25 AM   #10

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
YEP, I look at it as a feature.
It help to add fluids and soap to the black tank so the solids can dilute
and saves room in the grey, which is my limitation

ANd this is common as I understand it... not just Thor. Many have it this way.

I recently had a smell issue in the bath. I found that the air admittance valve under the sink was loose. I haven't been back in it yet to see if tightening it fixed my problem.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:45 AM   #11

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
THOR #1295
My old 2003 Sunseeker from Forest River was the same way. I actually grew to like it as it indicated when to dump the black when the bathroom sink stopped draining. Sucks when boon docking though, but now you know, you can use it accordingly.
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:21 PM   #12

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Thor's drawings on my Gemini shows both the kitchen sink and the bathroom sink plumbed to the black tank. I went kind of nuts on them, told them that if both sinks drained into the black tank, I was going to re-think owing it. To me having only the shower going into the grey tank is ridiculous. I checked today, despite the drawings, the kitchen sink goes to the grey tank, I opened the grey valve only, ran hot water into the kitchen sink, and got hot water out. The bathroom sink goes into the black tank, but I can live with that. I asked Thor for as built drawings, but they only seem to have the ones that show both sinks going into the grey tank. I think their logic is to insure more liquid going into the black tank, but I understand that, and have managed black tanks for years with no problems, really don't need or want their help, but there it is.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:00 AM   #13

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Bathroom sink in our Windsport drains to black tank too.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:09 AM   #14

THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Bathroom sink in our Windsport drains to black tank too.
Same with the Axis and Vegas.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:55 AM   #15

Model: Hurricane 29m
State: Louisiana
THOR #3932
Bath drain

I do believe Thor put this in plans because of the black water tank design. If you notice while using a strong flashlight after a time when u know at lest more than a few gallons of water are in the black tank u still cannot see any water by looking down the flush valve..Thor wants to get more water in to prevent tee peeing toilet paper....
Old 01-27-2017, 04:00 AM   #16

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
I knew this about our Axis. Makes perfectly good sense to add the small amount of water from the bathroom sink to the black tank. Doesn't bother me a bit. There are other things that do bother me about the coach but this isn't one of them.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:48 AM   #17

Model: ACE
THOR #698
When we are in a site with no sewer hook up we brush our teeth in the kitchen sink. I think most people leave the water running when they do this. It just adds water to the black tank.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:38 PM   #18

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I'm not sure I understand the great travesty here: you have two waste tanks. period.

Most RVrs, especially those who do lengthy drycamping, will tell you that one typically fills faster than the other.

The factories may have listened to us RVrs in the past and instituted these plumbing designs just for us...nice. .. ... .. enjoy : )
Old 01-27-2017, 01:17 PM   #19

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
We dry camp for upwards to 3 months each winter. One of the reasons we bought our Thor Challenger 37TB is the fresh, gray and black capacities. We use our on board washing machine twice in each 5 day cycle, DW takes a standard shower each AM and we use other sinks as if we have full hooks with the one exception of using paper vs regular plates on occasion. Most 5 day cycles we have 15 gals of fresh, full up on both gray water tanks and some in our black tanks. Takes us about 30 minutes to move from our dry site, dump and refill. Fairly efficient. We've looked at adding more room to our front living area while retaining bunks. Only one floor plan is available to suit our list - and then the on board liquid storate is only 3/4 of the Challengers.

Just some more data points.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:02 PM   #20
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
My floor plan (2014 Hurricane 32A) wouldn't be possible if the bathroom sink drained into the gray tank.... unless I wanted to step over the drain line each time I walk from the kitchen/dining area to bedroom

The sink/shower/gray tank are along the passengers side with the gray tank under the raised floor of the shower.
The toilet/bathroom sink/black tank are on the drivers side with the black tank directly under the toilet.
Water would have to flow down under the RV to clear the floor - and back up into the gray tank on the other side - gravity and physics say it ain't gonna happen.

When dry camping, our gray tank ALWAYS fills first - so offloading the bathroom sink to the black helps...
Dry camping for an extended time is conservation mode... 'RV showers' (use the water turnoff when lathering, etc) and not leaving water running when brushing teeth/shaving/doing dishes..
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote