Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2015, 10:44 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34E
State: Texas
THOR #1599
Can Someone Explain These Weights & Tire PSI?

OK, I am still trying to get a handle on the tire PSI vs weight thing. So picture one, is the placard from my Hurricane....showing that the tire PSI should be 95 PSI, which I presume to be the fully loaded weight of the coach, at 22000LBS. OK... fair enough...then I look at the Goodyear chart from their tire guide, which I included...and I can't figure out how the weights from the Thor placard jive with the Goodyear guidance...help? The highlighted chars is my tire size 245/19.5

PS...I can't figure out how to show my pictures inline, not as an attachment
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thor Weights.jpeg
Views:	207
Size:	415.6 KB
ID:	519   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0596.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	537.2 KB
ID:	520  

San Antonio, Tx
Tytlfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:15 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tytlfamily View Post
OK, I am still trying to get a handle on the tire PSI vs weight thing. So picture one, is the placard from my Hurricane....showing that the tire PSI should be 95 PSI, which I presume to be the fully loaded weight of the coach, at 22000LBS. OK... fair enough...then I look at the Goodyear chart from their tire guide, which I included...and I can't figure out how the weights from the Thor placard jive with the Goodyear guidance...help? The highlighted chars is my tire size 245/19.5

PS...I can't figure out how to show my pictures inline, not as an attachment
The GAWR is the Gross Axle Weight Rating. That is the maximum weight that can be carried on that axle. In your case 8000 lbs on the front Axle and 15000 lbs on the rear axle. The two combine or 23000 lbs should be your GVWR or Gross Vehicle Weight rating.

When you are running at max weight the recommended tire pressure is95 PSI front and rear.

The second image from Goodyear is the maximum tire load limit at certain tire pressures. I believe the chart you need to find is the one for recommended tire pressure at certain loads. From what I can see you are on the right track just trying to use the wrong Goodyear chart to determine the correct tire pressure.

With that said, have you driven your coach across a scale to get actual axle weights or are you looking for a rough starting point?

Attachments, after you select the attachment to include and you return to the edit window, click the arrow to the right of the attachment icon and then select the attachment to include at the cursors location. That is how to include the picture in the frame rather than as an attachment.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:54 PM   #3

THOR #1599
LOL, well the first problem...I must have stared at the chart so long...I was looking at the KG numbers on the Thor chart thinking it was pounds LOL OK, if you enter the Goodyear chart at 4000 lbs per tire, it does jive with 95 PSI.
But, the gross Wt limit is 22,000, not 23..... so I still don't understand how the 8+15 is 23K....
San Antonio, Tx
Old 06-12-2015, 12:19 AM   #4
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
LOL, well the first problem...I must have stared at the chart so long...I was looking at the KG numbers on the Thor chart thinking it was pounds LOL OK, if you enter the Goodyear chart at 4000 lbs per tire, it does jive with 95 PSI.
But, the gross Wt limit is 22,000, not 23..... so I still don't understand how the 8+15 is 23K....
Basically what that tells me is that there are some other limitations on the vehicle that does not allow for it to be loaded to the maximum capacity of the axles. For example, maybe the frame rail extension or the manner in which the coach is mounted to the chassis.

The other thing that is possible is that axles from another vehicle with a higher GVWR are used and thereby the axles can handle more weight than the frame on which they are installed. This happens quite a bit in the heavy equipment industry where axles are manufactured for use on numerous vehicle types and configurations each having there own weight limitations.
FMCA - F432054
Old 06-12-2015, 01:08 AM   #5

THOR #1599
ok Dave thanks, that all makes good sense, never thought about that. Well, going to get my first weigh in mid August before we head out on our long trip !! So, does flat towing your toad actually add any weight directly to the rear axel? seems it would be all pulling weight, and not directly absorbed by the axel.......so I guess what I am asking, does towing effect you tire PSI at all?
San Antonio, Tx
Old 06-12-2015, 01:42 AM   #6
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
ok Dave thanks, that all makes good sense, never thought about that. Well, going to get my first weigh in mid August before we head out on our long trip !! So, does flat towing your toad actually add any weight directly to the rear axel? seems it would be all pulling weight, and not directly absorbed by the axel.......so I guess what I am asking, does towing effect you tire PSI at all?
Since you are flat towing the weight on the axle should be minimal. It will only be the weight of the tow bar on the trailer hitch (tongue weight). Now if you use a rock shield or something similar mounted on the tow bar that may place some additional weight on the tongue but it shouldn't be much and thereby not have any impact on the tire air pressure.
FMCA - F432054