Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2017, 06:30 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
Four 6 Volt Batteries in Ace 30.1

I just replaced my less than a year old POS Harris batteries with a pair of Interstate 6 volt deep cycle batteries. The Harris batteries decided to not hold a charge - went from full charge to dead a month or so ago and just this week went from full charge (12.5 v) to 40% (11.9 v) in 4 days. In both cases the house battery switch was set to Store.

I was hoping to upgrade to a set of 4 6 volt batteries, but when I removed the old batteries I found that there are a couple of barrier strips int he bottom of the battery bay as shown in the attached picture.. My battery bay will allow 15" x22" of battery, which is enough for the 4 6V batteries if the strips weren't there. I'd have to figure out how to strap down the second set, but I don't see that being a big problem.

Has anyone fit 4 6V batteries in their 30.1 battery bay? Can you remove the barrier strips without destroying the battery bay?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3742.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	208.7 KB
ID:	4273  

Old 03-23-2017, 12:30 PM   #2

Model: Ace 29.2
State: Georgia
THOR #6481
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTransplant View Post
I just replaced my less than a year old POS Harris batteries with a pair of Interstate 6 volt deep cycle batteries. The Harris batteries decided to not hold a charge - went from full charge to dead a month or so ago and just this week went from full charge (12.5 v) to 40% (11.9 v) in 4 days. In both cases the house battery switch was set to Store.

I was hoping to upgrade to a set of 4 6 volt batteries, but when I removed the old batteries I found that there are a couple of barrier strips int he bottom of the battery bay as shown in the attached picture.. My battery bay will allow 15" x22" of battery, which is enough for the 4 6V batteries if the strips weren't there. I'd have to figure out how to strap down the second set, but I don't see that being a big problem.

Has anyone fit 4 6V batteries in their 30.1 battery bay? Can you remove the barrier strips without destroying the battery bay?

Looks like you have room for 2 on one some and 2 on the other
Old 03-27-2017, 12:01 AM   #3

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
It would probably be smart to measure the current drain from the battery when the switch is set to Store. Many times there are still things, such as monitors, still connected when the switch is set to Store.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:02 PM   #4

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Louisiana
THOR #4843
There are residual loads when set to store. I would install a battery disconnect switch at the ground. Even then, the batteries can discharge especially in a hot environment. Water levels are critical.