Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2015, 04:18 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Ohio
THOR #2602
Any Windsport owners..

Greetings and first off thank you to everyone to contributes to this forum. It has been a good resource for us in our search for a new MH.

My wife and I have been looking at a few different class A's (FR3, Jayco Alante) and are going to look at a Windsport in person this weekend. We were close to pulling the trigger on an FR3 but the quality didn't seem to be there and some things didn't work on our test drive (if a 2016 doesn't work at the dealer, what does that say for when we get it home?!). We found a 2015 Windsport 31S that has everything we are looking for.

I would love to hear feedback from any Windsport owners.

Also how has everyone's usage of the 1 yr warranty gone? Is it pretty smooth or a hassle or completely based on the dealer?

Thanks again!!

Old 08-07-2015, 08:02 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
You're going to want to include all Hurricane owners as well. They are identical, except for the color choices and the front cap design, but sold in different markets.

Your experience with warranty service is completely dependent upon three things.

1. Your prior experience with owning RVs, and the warranty period experience.
2. Your ability to identify all the issues before the warranty expires.
3. The particular service writer you are working with, (not the dealership, and not the brand/model/type of motorhome).

It can be a nightmare if you have never owned an RV before and are expecting it to be like purchasing a similarly priced luxury automobile. That's not the case at all.

With ALL motorhome and RV manufacturer's, (not just Thor), the new owner is simply purchasing the right to be the first to use the motorhome. You are purchasing the responsibility to identify all the things that need to be repaired within the warranty period, and to have them completely repaired properly.

How the warrantee process proceeds all completely depends upon your experience with owning RVs. Many dealership service writers' standard approach for newbees is to just tell them to "leave it" with them and pick it up when they are done. That's where the nightmares with RV warranty service begins with all brands and all dealerships. They will take their sweet time.

Fulltimers, and experienced RV owners only bring in their motorhome for service on the specific day, (or the precise daylight work hours), that work is to be performed. They never "leave it". If that approach is taken, your warranty service will be much smoother.

I have owned Fleetwood and Winnebago motorhomes prior to my current Thor. They had much more extensive warranty issues than my Thor product, even though they cost much more to purchase and claim to have much better overall quality. If you visit any owner's forum for any brand and model of motorhome or RV you will find complaints.

The biggest ad most common warranty issue in recent years for Thor, (and Winnebago), are the Schwintek slide assemblies for the large full-room slides.

I had the Schwintek slide assembly on my overhead bunk completely replaced under warranty in 4 labor hours, (I left my motorhome overnight 1 day for all of my necessary warranty service). It works fine now, and my warranty experience was very smooth.... I had very cooperative service writers at two different local dealerships, (I have no dealer loyalty when it comes to warranty service, I purchased my coach across the country for the best available price).
Old 08-07-2015, 08:47 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34F
State: Louisiana
THOR #2073
This is my second Thor product I purchased new. We currently own a 2015 34f with the full wall slide. It was purchased 3/15 and we love it. We use our coach 2-3 times a month. We just returned from a 3800 mile tour with no major issues. I will be scheduling another warranty service for minor trim work and some slide out/gasket issues and coach sealant work.

Thus far, Its been in for warranty repair work 3 times. Simple things like window dressing loose, rear camera malfunction, AC panel dead. Some of it,I could have done, but its under warranty. My dealership has been wonderful. Its not a BIG BOX store, family owned for 3 generations. Sales and service is run by the owners sons.

When I picked it up, my salesman informed me to use the coach as much as possible to expose all the 'BUGS' before the warranty expires. He expressed that THOR, as do most RV manufacturers, are pushing these vehicles out as quickly as possible to meet the demand, so expect to bring it in for service. He walked me to introduce me to his brother who is the service manager. They schedule service BLOCKS to customers. I can drop it off and have it fixed within 2 days when parts are in stock. We all speak on a first name basis. Great people. Great service.
Old 08-08-2015, 01:56 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Ohio
THOR #2602
Thanks for the insight! We have had an older motorhome (1989) C class for 8 years and use it quite a bit for trips within 100 miles. Just repaired stuff myself but your advice is very helpful and gives us a good basis to think about how to handle our initial ownership of a new RV. Thanks again for the feedback!