Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2016, 11:56 PM   #1
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
2017 Axis chassis

I was watching a you tube video yesterday where a dealer was describing a newly arrived Axis. He mentioned it was on the Ford E350. Did Thor go back to the E350 for 2017 or is this another case of a dealer not knowing the units they are selling?

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 01:42 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Dave,

I was at the CW in Statesville Friday and was talking with the salesman that sold us our 2016. He said all the ones they are getting in are on the E450...he liked the extra towing and weight capacities.

We stopped at another Dealership today in Kings Mountain (they were having a pre-Memorial Day Sale) as they had several Vegas's on the lot and only the one older 24.2 was on an E350.

Maybe the Video man needs an updated script.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 02:05 AM   #3

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post

....cut....

Maybe the Video man needs an updated script.

Doc
Or maybe Thor needs to update their product information.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	2043  
Old 05-26-2016, 08:32 AM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #4234
how can you tell if a 350 or 450 chassis? on the engine? inside somewhere? i don't want to take anyone's word and i seem to have an Ace's manuals ad not my Axis manuals!
thanks
Old 05-26-2016, 09:03 AM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
The vin on it should tell you
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 10:24 AM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbeskan View Post
how can you tell if a 350 or 450 chassis? on the engine? inside somewhere? i don't want to take anyone's word and i seem to have an Ace's manuals ad not my Axis manuals!
thanks
Decode the VIN. The Thor owner's manual is not model specific and includes all class A gas models. It is rather generic in that manner.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:59 PM   #7
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbeskan View Post
thanks
The window sticker shows that info as well as the VIN
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 01:51 PM   #8

THOR #2121
If you have a good eye for dimensions, and are casually walking around a lot and want to quickly know whether it's an E-350 or E-450, you can see the difference at the rear wheels.

The narrower 94-inch body of the Axis/Vegas was likely designed for the narrower track width of the E-350. When Thor switched to the wider E-450 chassis, the rear tires clearly stick out beyond the body. I can spot the difference easily.

Obviously if knowing is important it has to be verified through VIN.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:13 PM   #9

Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Illinois
THOR #4282
Punch the VIN number into this site and it will tell you everything you need to know.

VIN Decoder - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
Old 06-15-2016, 03:30 AM   #10

Model: 2017 Axis 25.2 E-450
THOR #4181
My understanding is that during last year There were some problems with the F350 Stripped Chassis.
A few of the other RV manufacturers had enough E350 chassis on hand to keep producing till the problem was solved. For a time, Thor had to switch to E450s to keep producing and are perhaps returning to E350s now. We stayed in touch with the Thor plant to be able to “pull the trigger” on our recent new purchase to get a E450 chassis on the first batch of the 2017 Axis 25.2 models. (Ours does have a 2016 VIN E450 chassis on a 2017 VIN 25.2 Coach.)
So there will be some new 2016s and some new 2017s with E450s and some with E350s. However, I’m led to believe they are going back to E350s on the 2017 models. Hope this helps.
Best Regards,
James
Old 06-15-2016, 07:50 AM   #11

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryJames View Post
My understanding is that during last year There were some problems with the F350 Stripped Chassis.
A few of the other RV manufacturers had enough E350 chassis on hand to keep producing till the problem was solved. For a time, Thor had to switch to E450s to keep producing and are perhaps returning to E350s now. We stayed in touch with the Thor plant to be able to “pull the trigger” on our recent new purchase to get a E450 chassis on the first batch of the 2017 Axis 25.2 models. (Ours does have a 2016 VIN E450 chassis on a 2017 VIN 25.2 Coach.)
So there will be some new 2016s and some new 2017s with E450s and some with E350s. However, I’m led to believe they are going back to E350s on the 2017 models. Hope this helps.
Best Regards,
James
Wow! That is really interesting and good information to know if you are in the market for a 2017. I have a 2016 Axis 24.1 on a 450 chassis and I can tell the difference in ride and steering from my 2014 Vegas 24.1. I like the 450 and would look hard to get one, if I were in the market for. 2017. There had also been some discussion about the possibility of the Ford V-8 showing up in the 350/450 line in 2017 or 2018. That will also be something to watch for.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:51 AM   #12

THOR #2142
Oneil,

Just a guess here but could there have been more stripped and stretched E350's with transmission cable routing problems? I remember the email I received and they were caught off guard when they found than several Units that Thor had on their lot had improper routed transmission cables...found fteryou posted your cable problem and things got looked into.

Doc

Old 06-15-2016, 11:34 AM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike
Oneil,

Just a guess here but could there have been more stripped and stretched E350's with transmission cable routing problems? I remember the email I received and they were caught off guard when they found than several Units that Thor had on their lot had improper routed transmission cables...found fteryou posted your cable problem and things got looked into.

Doc
I wouldn't think that the shifter cable issue would be serious enough to warrant a chassis change. From Thor's point of view its easier to pay a lackey to inspect and fix all the incoming chassis for the routing problem than it is to pay an engineer to make sure the E450 fits under the Axis/Vegas. (Even though you're paying the engineer once and the lackey hourly.)

My guess it was something bigger/more serious.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:02 PM   #14

THOR #2142
Jamie,

I am sure it was a series of problems, just never know which was the last straw.

Doc

Old 06-15-2016, 12:12 PM   #15

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Wow! That is really interesting and good information to know if you are in the market for a 2017. I have a 2016 Axis 24.1 on a 450 chassis and I can tell the difference in ride and steering from my 2014 Vegas 24.1. I like the 450 and would look hard to get one, if I were in the market for. 2017. There had also been some discussion about the possibility of the Ford V-8 showing up in the 350/450 line in 2017 or 2018. That will also be something to watch for.
Ford announced on March 1st that the 6.2L V8 from the Super Duty pickups will be available as an option. The 6.8L V10 will remain the standard engine according to the Ford release. The V8 is already included in the owners manual.

I think we are beyond a rumor or possibility with the modern V8 for the E-Series chassis. It doesn't mean, however, that motorhome manufacturers will order it in lieu of the V10.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:19 PM   #16

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Jamie,

I am sure it was a series of problems, just never know which was the last straw.

Doc
Doc, I don't recall reading anywhere that the cable problem affected the newer chassis with the 6R140 transmissions. All reports I recall affected older 5R110 transmissions, so it should not have been an issue for a while.

The likely problem for going to E-450 was emmissions related. It's a different weight class, so requirements are different.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:37 PM   #17

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Ford announced on March 1st that the 6.2L V8 from the Super Duty pickups will be available as an option. The 6.8L V10 will remain the standard engine according to the Ford release. The V8 is already included in the owners manual.

I think we are beyond a rumor or possibility with the modern V8 for the E-Series chassis. It doesn't mean, however, that motorhome manufacturers will order it in lieu of the V10.
Reading some of the discussions of the two engines, I am still unclear if the V-8 is an improvement when used in a 350/450 chassis in a Class A motorhome. According to Ford, it is going to be an option on the 350/450, I'm just not sure it is better capability wise or worth the extra money (if it actually costs more). Interesting questions.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:52 PM   #18

THOR #2121
Quote:
Reading some of the discussions of the two engines, I am still unclear if the V-8 is an improvement when used in a 350/450 chassis in a Class A motorhome. According to Ford, it is going to be an option on the 350/450, I'm just not sure it is better capability wise or worth the extra money (if it actually costs more). Interesting questions.
More power, better fuel economy, inherently better balanced, smoother and quieter. What's not to like?

Although I've had great luck with V10s, I'm not opposed to trying something new, even if there is a "slight" risk. Having said that, older buyers may resist change, so manufacturers may keep ordering the much older V10.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:33 PM   #19

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
More power, better fuel economy, inherently better balanced, smoother and quieter. What's not to like?

Although I've had great luck with V10s, I'm not opposed to trying something new, even if there is a "slight" risk. Having said that, older buyers may resist change, so manufacturers may keep ordering the much older V10.
All the comparisons that I have seen so far, have been on the F Series and with the 6.2L 6 Spd and the 6.8L 5 Spd. I'll wait until someone puts them both in an RV with the 6 Spd before I'll trust the claims enough to buy one.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:01 PM   #20

THOR #2121
Quote:
All the comparisons that I have seen so far, have been on the F Series and with the 6.2L 6 Spd and the 6.8L 5 Spd. I'll wait until someone puts them both in an RV with the 6 Spd before I'll trust the claims enough to buy one.
I'm not sure which claims you are referring to.

There is also too much difference between an unloaded pickup and a motorhome to make a direct comparison between the two engines significant (unless they were both towing). Light power loads should definitely favor the smaller-displacement higher-compression-ratio V8, while in a motorhome working much harder at < 10 MPG it may not make much difference.

I'd gladly buy one of the first to test for you.