Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2023, 04:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Axis 24.1
State: Utah
THOR #2474
Send a message via Skype™ to mhbell
Want to replace my axxcera radio

I want to replace my axxcera radio with a Navigation screen backup camera and radio. For those of you who have done this, what did you use? Was it hard to do? Cost?
Mel

Old 11-21-2023, 04:58 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I'm smart enough to do the install
Which means
I'm smart enough to have a professional do the install.

Telling someone Which radio head to buy is like saying
Marry only redheads.

Go to your local stereo shop, get hands on, enjoy lunch nearby while they do the WARRANTED install.

Or
read 1,000 threads here and watch 10,000 youtube vids and get thoroughly confused by how a $130 unit is just as good as a $1300 unit.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 05:00 PM   #3

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I don't know anything about your axxcera radio

mine had a pioneer double DIN head unit. Assume yours is either a standard or double DIN unit so plenty of android options out there.

I just wrapped up my project...well not totally, still have to replace some trim in the rear bedroom where i was getting at the camera wiring...replaced the rear camera while I was at it.
I ended up going with this unit
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I haven't driven with it yet, but testing it while parked I'm sure I'll like it. Nice big and bright screen...and Android Auto. The only thing I haven't tested yet is the backup camera at night

originally I had ordered one like this
https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Deta...1zcF9hdGY&th=1
not sure if that's the exact unit, but it looked like this one anyway. Got it wired in but had problems getting thier camera to work so I returned it
Old 11-21-2023, 06:26 PM   #4

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbell View Post
I want to replace my axxcera radio with a Navigation screen backup camera and radio. For those of you who have done this, what did you use? Was it hard to do? Cost?
Mel
I used a $1000.00 Kenwood DNX775RVS RV navigation radio with a 7" diagonal screen that allows you to program your vehicle size and weight into the system and it will avoid routing you on roads / bridges with clearance or weight restrictions. There is a newer version $1600.00 Kenwood DNR1008RVS with a 10" screen. Both have Garmin navigation built in.

On my 2018 the Original AxxERA screen was so dim that it simply was not viewable during the day. Just changing the radio made a massive difference in the image quality. In addition the Kenwood will retain the rear view camera after the turn signal cancels te AxxERA would always switch back to the Main menu screen.

The install was very easy, at least for me. While the new Kenwood would fit in the old AxxERA sleeve I chose to use the sleeve provided with the Kenwood because the AxxERA sleeve was a bit too tight on the Kenwood Radio. In order to fit the Kenwood sleeve I had to increase the height of the opening by about 1/4" please make your own measurements since I have slept several times since I did that, I may not remember correctly.

I did have to remove the trim but that bit was necessary because most of the studs holding that trim on were no longer attached to the trim because if failed glue joints. I took the excess off the bottom of the opening. I used an x-acto razor saw to cut the opening down the correct amount then I clamped a metal strait edge to the Face and used an X-Acto #11 blade to score a line about 1/4 to 1/2 way through the plastic. Then I used a pair of channel lock plyers to work along the scored line to break the plastic at the scored line.

I replaced the failed studs with Speed nuts with 8x32 screws pointing out, Drilled #8 sized holes in the Face trim and secured the face pane to the dash board with Acorn nuts.

The old radio had a sort of shelf to support the back end of the radio, I had to cut the shelf bit off because the Kenwood radio has a different shape that prevented pushing the radio into the opening. I replaced the shelf with a hardware store L bracket and a T bracket attached to the part of the shelf hanger I left on.

The best advice I can give is to sit down and compare the install manuals of the old and new radio wiring colors*and make a chart matching the colors for each radio then use that as a reference to connect the new radio to the harness for the RV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dashboard mod.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	44297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kenwood radio.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	44298  

Name:	Old support bracket.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	44299   Click image for larger version

Name:	Support bracket.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	44300  

Name:	Trim Panel.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	44301  

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 06:31 PM   #5

THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I'm smart enough to do the install
Which means
I'm smart enough to have a professional do the install.

Telling someone Which radio head to buy is like saying
Marry only redheads.

Go to your local stereo shop, get hands on, enjoy lunch nearby while they do the WARRANTED install.

Or
read 1,000 threads here and watch 10,000 youtube vids and get thoroughly confused by how a $130 unit is just as good as a $1300 unit.
I tried to have Best Buy install a new radio that I wanted to purchase from them, but they would not even look at it, let alone install a radio. When I tried to find an installer in my area I could not find anyone who wanted my business badly enough to even talk to me. I have come to the conclusion that with a motorhome you are pretty much on your own for things like installing a new radio.

Perhaps you can get Camping world to do the install. The last time I checked they did sell the Kenwood DNX775RVS radio.

Old 11-21-2023, 07:46 PM   #6

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #30073
If you're handy and can spend the time, self install is the way to go.
This is what I put in my Axis. Works perfectly! 1000% better than the Axxera!
https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Deta...1zcF9hdGY&th=1
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2748 copy.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	44303  
Old 11-22-2023, 04:57 PM   #7

Model: Axis
THOR #29745
planning to do also

how difficult to take out the axcerra? I'm having a heck of a time! can't get it to come out of metal sleeve. any advice?

was it a simple plug and play? camera hookups etc?

thanks, cheryl
Old 11-22-2023, 05:04 PM   #8

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
You tube videos
There are
Keys, actual physical keys,
to remove the radio.
Butterknives usually work.

Youtube
Removing a din radio.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 07:14 PM   #9

THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBFLgirl View Post
how difficult to take out the axcerra? I'm having a heck of a time! can't get it to come out of metal sleeve. any advice?

was it a simple plug and play? camera hookups etc?

thanks, cheryl
Take a look at this Video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=K6n-VDFKYbA

If you have the "Keys" for the OE radio use those. If not the Keys delivered with the new radio will probably work.

It would also help to have a set of non-marring plastic pry bars. You can get them from Crutchfield to or Amazon for example:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZFJJZLF...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

Old 11-25-2023, 07:55 PM   #10

State: California
THOR #30798
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbell View Post
I want to replace my Axxera radio with a Navigation screen backup camera and radio. For those of you who have done this, what did you use? Was it hard to do? Cost?
Mel
I just did this on my Palazzo. Went ok, if allowing for the goofy Freightliner issues. Lack of ignition switch power, etc.

The Axxera was "on" all the time before, so it constantly drains the chassis batteries. The graphics were horrible, and the "buttons" on the edge of the screen were bizarre.. as if designed by North Korean communists without a focus group.

However - it was also a single-DIN, so I was constrained. I wanted Android Auto, etc., but we don't live in the RV - only use it for 4-8 weeks a year, so it wasn't going to be a $2k project.

Here's what I did:

1.) I went with the Sound Storm Labs (SSL) single-DIN with the plug-in screen. It's kind of interesting - not a "motorized" thing, the single DIN just has an interface, and the screen plugs into it. I had nothing above or below that it would obstruct, so it worked fine. Similar to this one, except I went with a 9" that I found at Crutchfield - which looks better in the spot. There is also a 7" option I think. - https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Storm-L...=3ALW6DQMTZ9F9

The "AZ Expert" guy on Youtube used this on his Beaver; the only reason I found the thing. He had the same issues & requirements that I had, and looked like a good fit.

2.) I used the Wago reusable wire connectors to trial & error it a little - nothing is marked on a Freightliner and I couldn't find a wire diagram anywhere online. For the most part, the wire colors were the same though.
https://www.amazon.com/LEVER-NUTS-Co...=2MRVJ7R0R72S5

3.) To create an ignition power, I split the constant 12v into the "constant" that the deck needed and routed the other through a 15amp 12v toggle switch that I mounted on the dash by the parking brake. I also did the dash cam while I was at it.

4.) The Freightliner doesn't appear to support an illumination control line so I just disabled illumination on the deck and I manually set it to what I wanted (and it works fine).

Outcomes -

1.) I can't recommend the SSL - it's flaky. The interface works great, and it's snappy, but the Android Auto sucks and will randomly reboot either the phone connection or the deck (either the phone cycles the initial connection and restarts AA or the whole deck reboots itself). AA is buggy, so it's not a surprise, but the error handling in the deck should be better. I suspect it's the interface cable - the deck came with USB extensions that plugged into the back of the deck and routed down to a cigarette adapter opening - but provides 2 (low-amp) USBs instead where the cig lighter would be. We have boatloads of USB chargers in the coach, so wasn't needed, but 1 of these also provides the data interface. AA is very (extremely) sensitive to cable quality - I have tried several excellent cables that are known to work in other vehicles - but I am suspecting what is probably a very charging/data/extension cable from the back of the deck to the cig lighter port and I might get around to swapping them out, or get rid of them and use a wireless AA dongle and just leave it inside the dash. I'm watching for a cyber deal on a wireless one.

SSL, Boss, and a few other deck brands appear to be identical.

2.) The Freightliner dash is very hard to modify - it's just hollow, nothing for mounting the slide rails to, etc. The Axxera that was there before had the same problem. They jiggle, etc., and I'm at a loss as to what to do with it, short of ripping the whole thing apart and building in some structure. I'm hesitant because during the first road trip after the install, the dash A/C wasn't working. When we got back, I found 2 red wires that were spliced (with a wire nut) and had separated - I didn't do that - so that was a funky Thor thing. I fixed it the right way with a soldering iron and solved it, but hesitant to create other problems - considering it's a Freightliner dash. Great chassis, but electronics & dashboard is not a feature that Freightliner is "known for."

3.) Audio quality - "Meh." It's not the Alpine in my Ram Limited pickup. However, the problem is the 5" garbage speakers in the ceiling, not the deck. Don't look for a stunning improvement over the Axxera without a swapping the other parts out too.

I experimented with the EQ and most importantly - turned off the subwoofer support (which defaults to "on" with the SSL) - and that made a world of difference. I would now call it "fair," but I'm a disabled vet with terrible hearing, so your mileage may vary.

4.) Telephone - surprisingly excellent. People can't even tell that I'm on the hands-free, and do not hear any background when driving (but the diesel-pusher is pretty quiet).

5.) The goofy. It has a constant supply wire - but the "memory" for the Android Audio map guidance seems to forget its setting every time I turn off the ignition - so I have to go back into the AA setup, do the "test audio" in the mapping and turn up the volume every time I start the motorhome up. Annoying since it defaults to "zero" volume. Radio stations remain programmed, Bluetooth recalls, and programmed phones are there, and everything else works... The problem is horrible firmware designed by North Korean communists.

6.) Surprising win - the Palazzo has a multi-camera input switcher thing in the dash that only fed a single RCA video cable to the old Axxera. Crutchfield offers one with the SSL, but was only a generic / universal. I figured the one in there was probably the same thing, and in the worst case I had expected to sacrifice the (nearly-useless) side mirror cameras and only hook up the backup cam (directly) - (which is also pretty useless since it is 12 feet in the air at the top of the rear cap). However... I plugged in the single-output from the video switcher, and everything worked normally in the SSL - I can either drive with the backup cam on or I can use the stereo interface, AA, whatever, and it will switch to the backup cam when I go into reverse, or to the left or right when the turn signal is flipped on. Works perfectly, so if you have the camera switcher thing you can probably recycle it for the next stereo deck.

For others - CarPlay (Apple) is not nearly as sensitive as Android Auto, and iPhone users are probably fine with the SSL.

I prefer to use RV Life for RV mapping anyway, and RVL doesn't have an Android Auto app (so it won't display in AA anyway - for some reason, Android requires an AA-specific version of each app to be accessible) - so I just have a phone mount, and I use Bluetooth for the directions/music and phone. That enables me to drive with the rear camera on the deck display - which I also prefer. Works fine, and I'm satisfied. We are usually on interstates anyway so I don't need the play-by-play action on the big screen.
Old 11-25-2023, 08:09 PM   #11

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Nevada
THOR #17346
it was easy, got ours at walmart.com, that was a surprise to find a good radio at a good price. we bought the insurance on it, didn't cost that much. the only thing it didn't have was Sirius, miss that. the display is much bigger and better than the original. did that feb/march this year. when at Quartzsite this jan for the big rv show, looked at the new class A's and saw the big displays on many of the new rigs. coincidently leaving Quartzsite our radio went out, a great excuse the get a new radio with the big display. it is working great, very happy with it. wired it so that the reverse camera is on a switch so we can turn it on when we want it on. also, may consider putting radio on a switch so it is off when you want it off, that way there is no parasitic drain as has been discussed in this forum.
Old 11-25-2023, 10:58 PM   #12

Model: 27cm coleman
THOR #30764
Crutchfield

Call Crutchfield and tell them what you want and they will help you from start to finish. Mine went very well and works perfect. I opted for a simple setup, no cd player. I only wanted a radio, Apple car play and backup camera. The camera was already installed and integrated fine. It looks good and sounds good. Mine is a Kenwood and cost about 500.00 including the wire harness you need and installation kit. The kit includes the faceplate you need. Best luck
Old 11-25-2023, 11:59 PM   #13

THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awana View Post
Call Crutchfield and tell them what you want and they will help you from start to finish. Mine went very well and works perfect. I opted for a simple setup, no cd player. I only wanted a radio, Apple car play and backup camera. The camera was already installed and integrated fine. It looks good and sounds good. Mine is a Kenwood and cost about 500.00 including the wire harness you need and installation kit. The kit includes the faceplate you need. Best luck
That will work for an F-350 or F-450 Class C where there is an Automotive / truck mass produced dashboard to fit the radio to. However, Crutchfield will not be able to provide a wiring harness and installation kit for a Class A dashboard.

Old 11-26-2023, 03:06 AM   #14
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
That will work for an F-350 or F-450 Class C where there is an Automotive / truck mass produced dashboard to fit the radio to. However, Crutchfield will not be able to provide a wiring harness and installation kit for a Class A dashboard.
The class Cs use E-350 and E-450 chassis.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axxcera, backup camera, nav