Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Brands and Products > Thor Motor Coach | Class A, Class B+ & Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-16-2018, 02:41 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2014 Hurricane 34E
State: Alabama
Posts: 208
THOR #6181
Anyone else, stairwell failing!!!

Looking for others and opinions. Stairwell inside has come loose from sidewall, floor dropping near outside door, and spongy every time u step on outside stairs. Definitely a structural failure and a must fix ASAP.

Had 2 RV repair folks look at and both say Thor left out any kind of bracing/support from frame to outside to support weight of person stepping on outside stairs. Both purpose a framework from floor framing to outside wall under stairwell.

Anyone else? Thought about calling Thor but figured all I'd hear is "NO". It is a 2014 Hurricane 34E I purchased used from non-Thor dealer. Thx, Dennis.
__________________

__________________
Budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:52 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum 31WS
State: Arizona
Posts: 121
THOR #7419
Our 2017 Quantum had an issue with the sidewall starting to pull out from the steps. Thor covered under warranty. Had additional bracing and fastening added. Had similar issue on Drivers side below full wall slide. Had to add more support there as well. Covered by warranty luckily.
__________________

__________________
rlcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:49 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2014 Hurricane 34E
State: Alabama
Posts: 208
THOR #6181
Iím sure they could fix it under a good will fix but I donít see them offering much free assistance to anyone. The guys I asked about this said the bracing should have been there but they also said good luck trying!!!
I may call just for giggles!!! Thx Dennis.
__________________
Budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:34 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Cason61's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
Posts: 628
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman View Post
Iím sure they could fix it under a good will fix but I donít see them offering much free assistance to anyone. The guys I asked about this said the bracing should have been there but they also said good luck trying!!!
I may call just for giggles!!! Thx Dennis.
Get some L shaped brackets with at least 1/2" screws. Make sure you don't drill into something you don't want to by looking at both sides of the board if you can. Might could try a Steel plate cut and drilled to size.
__________________
Cason61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:04 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
ArrrV's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
Posts: 211
THOR #1287
Sinking feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman View Post
Looking for others and opinions. Stairwell inside has come loose from sidewall, floor dropping near outside door, and spongy every time u step on outside stairs. Definitely a structural failure and a must fix ASAP.

Had 2 RV repair folks look at and both say Thor left out any kind of bracing/support from frame to outside to support weight of person stepping on outside stairs. Both purpose a framework from floor framing to outside wall under stairwell.

Anyone else? Thought about calling Thor but figured all I'd hear is "NO". It is a 2014 Hurricane 34E I purchased used from non-Thor dealer. Thx, Dennis.
Interesting timing--we had this problem with our ACE last month. On our ACE the entire step and storage area beside the stairs is a molded plastic unit installed with just two screws (really, just 2) one on each side of the stair well. Not even glued or screwed to the side wall, and not braced. The plastic around the screws cracked and gave way. Brought to my RV repair guy as an emergency repair--as on the drive home it had separated from the floor and sidewall by about 2 inches making getting in and out of the coach problematic. RV shop reattached and installed two thick L braces under the coach. Entire repair cost was under $300 including the two braces, reattachment, and labor. I don't remember seeing this issue in the forum before, and never had it with my other two coaches. Poor design.
__________________
ArrrV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:26 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Long & Winding road's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
Posts: 2,395
THOR #12231
Can something be welded to the steps and them up to the frame? Might have a welder do it much cheaper? Just an Idea.
__________________
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, Fresh water surge tank, Black Tank Tornado flush, 4999 zip ties.
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:49 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2014 Hurricane 34E
State: Alabama
Posts: 208
THOR #6181
Sounds like we may be a very small group. I may call Thor after all and just get them started thinking about it. But, I won't hold my breath.

I have one guy going to fix it for $450. Welding a framework under stairwell is the plan. Headed to WV in the morning to visit grandkids so I'll probably do that in November when I get back. Thx, Dennis.
__________________
Budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:29 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Ford1's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Serrano
State: Florida
Posts: 141
THOR #8144
Interesting thread. I just purchased a 2012 Serano in early October and one of the first things that we had to address was the steps. As mentioned in an earlier post, there was nothing there to hold them up, only the stairwell box which was 3/32 steel. If it only had to hold the weight of the person entering the stairwell, it would probably hold for a while. The problem is that the steps themselves were also being supported by that thin box. Again, if the steps didn't have to extend, there would have been less stress on the end of the box, but with the person's weight, added to whatever they were carrying into the MH, plus the weight of the steps and the fact that the steps were extended out over a foot produced way too much stress on the box and it cracked on both sides. The crack continued to extend farther and farther back to where everything was hanging by a thread.
My son has excellent welding skills and he fabricated all new structural supports to resolve the issue. The supports changed the load from the stairwell box back to the chassis frame where it should have been in the first place. Now they are solid as a rock. Took some photos, but would be difficult to explain without extensive write-up. Also I would guess that the Serrano would be different from other models.
__________________
Ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:01 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2014 Hurricane 34E
State: Alabama
Posts: 208
THOR #6181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford1 View Post
Interesting thread. I just purchased a 2012 Serano in early October and one of the first things that we had to address was the steps. As mentioned in an earlier post, there was nothing there to hold them up, only the stairwell box which was 3/32 steel. If it only had to hold the weight of the person entering the stairwell, it would probably hold for a while. The problem is that the steps themselves were also being supported by that thin box. Again, if the steps didn't have to extend, there would have been less stress on the end of the box, but with the person's weight, added to whatever they were carrying into the MH, plus the weight of the steps and the fact that the steps were extended out over a foot produced way too much stress on the box and it cracked on both sides. The crack continued to extend farther and farther back to where everything was hanging by a thread.
My son has excellent welding skills and he fabricated all new structural supports to resolve the issue. The supports changed the load from the stairwell box back to the chassis frame where it should have been in the first place. Now they are solid as a rock. Took some photos, but would be difficult to explain without extensive write-up. Also I would guess that the Serrano would be different from other models.
Would you mind sending ur pics to my PM? Thx, Dennis.
__________________
Budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:47 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Ford1's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Serrano
State: Florida
Posts: 141
THOR #8144
Here are a couple of photos describing the problem we found.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190303-133958_Photos.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	15975   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190303-134509_Photos.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	15976  

__________________
Ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:52 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
Posts: 448
THOR #13869
I guess y'all are referring to the steps at your RV's entrance door.
At first I thought the stairwell leading to the loft bed in some of the class A floor plans we keep looking at.
Then I thought, no, they're talking about the rear roof ladder, thinking why are they calling them steps?
LOL, just my brain and its type green information craving format, it just wasn't clear to me!
__________________

__________________
At my young age, lol...
You could still maybe see me rolling down the highway, on my motorcycle, pulling a trailer with camp gear, smiling, beard in braids...
Feeling The Wind! (FTW)
Rusty
10scDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×