Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2015, 12:12 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34E
State: Texas
THOR #1599
Anyone give up their fancy smart phone for a good old fashioned flip phone?

Just curious in this day and age of "Now", how many of you have given up the ability to be able to talk, text, post, and check email...and just go with a simple cell phone? Been thinking lately, with all the sources of data gadgets we have, maybe a computer on your desk, maybe an Ipad in your brief case...and your fancy smart phone.....got to thinking if it is really necessary to have all those features on your phone...Thoughts!!

San Antonio, Tx
Tytlfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:15 AM   #2

Model: Palazzo
THOR #2072
Never had a smartphone! I have phone to call out or answer if necessary. I even had them shut off the text part. If someone wants to talk to me then call me!

Let's get off this high tech. stuff and get back to basics!!
FMCA F451520 - Texas Boomers
Daveht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:34 AM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
LOL! We travel with a smartphone for each of us (3), a tablet for each of us, and one or two laptops.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:46 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
I used three minutes of talk last month according to my bill. I could do without the phone portion but I need the apps for fun and safe travel.

Phil
Old 08-26-2015, 03:05 AM   #5

State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
LOL! We travel with a smartphone for each of us (3), a tablet for each of us, and one or two laptops.
+1,

And.... a second smart phone from work with a good different carrier data plan for tethering when our personal family plan service is "out of service area", a SPOT satellite gps emergency transponder, a Satellite phone for/from work, (for business emergencies)!
Old 08-26-2015, 12:00 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
If I am not travelling for business (approx 1 week per month) I telework. My major client has said that as long as they can contact me they don't care if my telework location is Timbuktu. With that when we travel we have his and hers smartphone (my business use of the bill is paid by the firm), my iPad, her Surface and I have firm and client laptops.

One thing I noticed is that with the recent upgrade to iPhone 6 (not the tablet size) I find the use of the iPad to be decreasing on a daily basis. This however may change with Office 365, the cloud and installation of a VPN.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:02 PM   #7

Model: ACE 29.3
State: New Jersey
THOR #2080
Smart Phone is needed

Because of the work I do, I need all of those features in my pocket, I'm not always around a laptop and can't always carry my iPad while I'm getting video production gear set up. The texting is critical and I often need to reference manuals from the web.
However, once I retire, cheap, simple phone it will be. But I'll still have my iPad.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:47 PM   #8

Model: Chateau 23U
State: California
THOR #1490
My smart phone comes in handy. Looking online on my banks statements, mail, locate a store using maps. good quality camera, looking at my insurance policy look for RV spots. If I'm not familiar with the area look up dump sites. and web sites. I like to stay updated even away from a computer.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:50 PM   #9
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikoriko View Post
My smart phone comes in handy. Looking online on my banks statements, mail, locate a store using maps. good quality camera, looking at my insurance policy look for RV spots. If I'm not familiar with the area look up dump sites. and web sites. I like to stay updated even away from a computer.
Well stated so disappointingly true.

Not too many years ago my wife and I were explorers with a road atlas and a full tank of fuel. In those days you never knew what to expect going around the next curve or travelling down the next mile.

Nowadays we are robots following the beeps or directions of one contraption or another with little left to the imagination. Gone are the days of "Chris and Christy: The wayward explorers"

And before someone makes the comment, I'm not older than dirt.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:01 PM   #10

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #2123
When I retired 3 years I gave up my Smart Phone and went to one dumb phone (no text, just voice calls). I use an iPad for everything else daily and use my laptop infrequently, mostly for picture transmission. Never missed the Smart Phone after the first month.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:56 PM   #11

State: Florida
THOR #1249
My wife had a flip phone until a few months ago. She can pick up her email, messages etc. on it which helps free up pc time. One of the best things about it is Gas Buddy for finding the lowest price on gas. Another is finding restaurants, ratings, food stores etc. She does not talk quiet as much now.
Hope she does not see this post.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:03 PM   #12

THOR #1599
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
My wife had a flip phone until a few months ago. She can pick up her email, messages etc. on it which helps free up pc time. One of the best things about it is Gas Buddy for finding the lowest price on gas. Another is finding restaurants, ratings, food stores etc. She does not talk quiet as much now.
Hope she does not see this post.
Yes...all great things indeed...I was really just saying it is redundant if you have an ipad with data plan, and a iphone....was wondering if most people keep multiple devices that all essentially do the same thing!
It all boils down to convenience I guess!

Cheers
San Antonio, Tx
Tytlfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:31 PM   #13

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
I have a desktop (iMac), Macbook Pro, 2 iPads and an iPhone 6Plus. They all have their place but I use the iPhone more than any of the other devices. The one iPad seldom gets used because it does not have cellular on it (just wifi). I could give up the iPad and the Macbook Pro but not the iMac and iPhone.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:06 PM   #14

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
we also travel with multiple smart phones, tablets, a chromebook, and maybe a macbook pro.

I've been trying to talk my 84 year old or so father in law into letting me buy a flip phone to replace his broken down barely working iphone 3Gs for 2-3 years now... he doesn't even have data and certainly doesn't text with it.

I could almost see going to flip phone if it had hotspot capability for my chromebook..... but not yet.

Maybe they're better now, but i would hate to go back to manual entry for my phone book/contacts database....