Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-29-2016, 07:10 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Bike & Kayak Friendly Floorplan

It's about time.

TMC Debuts New Floorplans at Louisville Show | RV Business

The Windsport and Hurricane 31Z is marketed as having room for full size bicycles and kayaks. Europeans have been providing bicycle-size garages for decades, but in the US that hasn't been a priority as far as I can tell.

I just hope there is enough demand that they eventually offer it on smaller motorhomes like Axis and Vegas.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:21 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Wow that Quantum KM24 is kind of funny: "Full wall slideout" on a 24' model--on larger ones that would just be "a slideout" LOL

Interesting that 31Z does have a raised bed to allow for more storage back there (they show the "step" on the floorplan). I wouldn't mind seeing one in person.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:57 PM   #3

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
It's about time.

TMC Debuts New Floorplans at Louisville Show | RV Business

The Windsport and Hurricane 31Z is marketed as having room for full size bicycles and kayaks. Europeans have been providing bicycle-size garages for decades, but in the US that hasn't been a priority as far as I can tell.

I just hope there is enough demand that they eventually offer it on smaller motorhomes like Axis and Vegas.
Doesn't this possibly mean you are getting ready to purchase an RV?
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:39 PM   #4

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Wow that Quantum KM24 is kind of funny: "Full wall slideout" on a 24' model--on larger ones that would just be "a slideout" LOL

Interesting that 31Z does have a raised bed to allow for more storage back there (they show the "step" on the floorplan). I wouldn't mind seeing one in person.
I would like to see one in person also, and how they did it. To me the Devil is in the details, as they say.

If you notice on other Thor motorhomes with MegaStorage, there is usually also a step, but it's on either side of the queen bed rather than cover the entire bedroom.

I remember that detail because we let my parents have the rear bedroom on a three-week trip out west, and my mother who is old and has weak knees had a problem getting into bed. I think the 31Z arrangement may have been easier for her. For us having the bed higher Euro style is fine if it means much more space below for our tandem bikes, kayak, etc.

It will also be interesting to see if they extend the chassis at rear to maximize height for bikes the way European companies build rear bike garages. On Mega-Storage motorhomes we've used bikes had to be laid down on side, which isn't good on bikes and waste too much space. Again, it's all in the engineering and design details.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:37 PM   #5

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
Doesn't this possibly mean you are getting ready to purchase an RV?
I've been ready for years. I just don't compromise by buying products I don't like or want. There are motorhomes in US that come close, but not close enough. When I find what I want I jump all over it.

A bike garage large enough for a tandem is a real plus -- almost a must have.

It must be small and fuel efficient. That's a must have. No bigger than Axis.

I will not have a slide -- unless forced to for lack of choices. As I've stated before, I would pay extra to delete one. That's how much I dislike them.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:05 PM   #6

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I've seen some euro designs online I really like. Love the look of the german made ones that have a garage under the rear master bed large enough for one of these little spec cars like a SMART. Seems like such a great idea, but based on the photos it looks like it might be a compromise with other areas of the interior not being to my sense of taste or liking.

Still, I wonder if any US citizen has ever bought a euro model and shipped it over.

Re the slide, I agree with you about a full wall slide, but I don't agree for smaller partial length slides. I may sing a different tune if mine ever gets stuck or causes a problem, but they seem like a decent trade off to me.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:03 PM   #7

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
I've seen some euro designs online I really like. Love the look of the german made ones that have a garage under the rear master bed large enough for one of these little spec cars like a SMART. Seems like such a great idea, but based on the photos it looks like it might be a compromise with other areas of the interior not being to my sense of taste or liking.

Still, I wonder if any US citizen has ever bought a euro model and shipped it over.

Re the slide, I agree with you about a full wall slide, but I don't agree for smaller partial length slides. I may sing a different tune if mine ever gets stuck or causes a problem, but they seem like a decent trade off to me.

I read a news report that earlier this year a large delegation of industry insiders were traveling to Germany for their large annual trade show to see what, if anything, they could learn to make smaller motorhomes more efficient. This Thor bike/kayak garage "may" have been inspired by Euro preferences, who knows?

When I was in Europe two years ago, I did not see any motorhome pulling a car, but practically all had large bike-size garages behind rear wheels. I'd guess most carry bikes, but some may use garage for scooters or motorcycles. I'm not suggesting in US that bikes can replace cars/toads. For starters our roads are not as bike friendly.

I believe that in the US the main appeal will be for those who bike like we do as a sport, not as transportation. If garage is large enough for scooter or motorcycle, that may change things more. In Moab, for instance, on last trip we could have ridden our bikes from campground to town for dinner, but had to unhook instead because we had no bikes or car.

When looking for motorhomes with bike-size garages, I found a picture of an old Bigfoot Class C -- probably built in Canada on Ford E-Series. Apparently there must not be much demand for this size garage because others didn't copy it.

What I really like about the Bigfoot garage is that they appear to drop the floor to increase garage headroom. That's a German feature for sure.

By the way, I doubt the Thor garage will be anywhere as large as this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	106
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	3438  
Old 11-30-2016, 08:10 PM   #8

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
By the way, I doubt the Thor garage will be anywhere as large as this.
Interesting!
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:29 PM   #9

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
...cut...

For us it's not about cost, or fear that it will break down and leave us stranded. I just don't like them.

Mostly I don't like the way a smaller motorhome feels tighter when slides are retracted. And since we are travelers more than campers, spending much time on road, the "trade off" for us is negative.

I also prefer the cleaner lines on outside of coach when it has no slides.

We also don't like musty smell as they get old (we keep all vehicles long time), greater noise, air leaks, bugs, greater maintenance/repairs, etc. The added space just isn't worth it for us.

An Axis 24.1 floorplan with narrow dinette would not gain enough living space from a slide when parked at night (when we're sleeping most of that time in bedroom anyway) to warrant having the slide in the way for 12-hours during a typical day.

For us the cons far exceed the pros.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:50 PM   #10

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Interesting!
Just a guess on my part because 31Z outside storage is listed at 143 cubic feet. The Bigfoot garage looks large enough for an ATV, small golf cart, or a couple of scooters or small motorcycles which would probably make it more than 143 cubic feet in size.

To me trading space above a bed that I can't use much for space below the bed that I can carry more toys is an easy choice. Plus it's such an easy thing to build.
Old 10-08-2017, 03:25 PM   #11

State: Virginia
THOR #9237
Anyone have the 31z to confirm the storage? Can two bikes fit?