Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2022, 09:38 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #26840
Aqua Hot 400D Operation for Heating Interior/Floor

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX - I have read, watched everything I can find on how to operate this Aqua Hot 400D. I cannot get the aqua hot heat exchangers inside to turn on the fans. I have tried the Electric & Burner switches inside. I have no faults. The A/C Thermostat has 3 zones when switching to Heat it shows Electric & Gas as an option, but only on Zone 1 & 3. I have turned on both the tank and storage thermostats. nothing I can find or do makes the heat exchanger fans turn. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Old 09-30-2022, 01:28 AM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Arizona
THOR #20184
Call Aqua Hot : 1-800-685-4298
Old 09-30-2022, 11:39 AM   #3

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Tank thermostat is ?

Turn on diesel burner switch, must stay on with pilot lit

Switch thermostats to gas

Set temperature above ambient

Zone pumps activate

Heat from hot glycol activates snap disk starting Exchanger fan
Old 09-30-2022, 11:48 AM   #4

THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmikego74 View Post
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX - I have read, watched everything I can find on how to operate this Aqua Hot 400D. I cannot get the aqua hot heat exchangers inside to turn on the fans. I have tried the Electric & Burner switches inside. I have no faults. The A/C Thermostat has 3 zones when switching to Heat it shows Electric & Gas as an option, but only on Zone 1 & 3. I have turned on both the tank and storage thermostats. nothing I can find or do makes the heat exchanger fans turn. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
The thermostat or control at the Aquahot is the tempering control for domestic hot water

Two thermostats in the basement are for the exchangers located there
Old 09-30-2022, 12:56 PM   #5

Model: 40KQ
State: Oklahoma
THOR #24608
400D here. I had a hard time with mine at first aswell. Hope I can help,
Close to the main unit you should have a controler box. Look to see if there are any fault lights lit. If so, use a paperclip (Hang one on something to always have one) to reset the fault. The reset is in the hole about 1-2 inches.
Do you have hot water ? I should have asked that first...
Old 10-01-2022, 12:01 AM   #6

THOR #9178
Mike is awol
Old 10-01-2022, 12:05 AM   #7

THOR #24608
Did I miss something
Old 11-15-2022, 02:02 PM   #8

THOR #26840
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
Mike is awol
Sorry guys, my wife went into hospital early October and passed away on October 10th.
I was finally able to get it figured out, had an issue with fuel nozzle and filter gummed up, it would run but wasn't burning properly, had fuel dripping form exhaust pipe. New nozzle and filter fixed that.
FOR OTHERS wanting to know about Tuscany 40rx - The interior thermostat when switched to HEAT only has GAS (Aqua Hot) setting on Zone 1 & 3 which operate the floor heat exchangers so I turned off Zone 2 completely. There is also a Thermostat in my storage compartment to heat underneath. (Guessing that is really the Zone 2)
It took me some adjusting to figure out some good settings, but so far it is all working fine. Thanks for everyone's help
Old 11-15-2022, 02:33 PM   #9

THOR #9178
Quote:
Sorry guys, my wife went into hospital early October and passed away on October 10th.
I was finally able to get it figured out, had an issue with fuel nozzle and filter gummed up, it would run but wasn't burning properly, had fuel dripping form exhaust pipe. New nozzle and filter fixed that.
FOR OTHERS wanting to know about Tuscany 40rx - The interior thermostat when switched to HEAT only has GAS (Aqua Hot) setting on Zone 1 & 3 which operate the floor heat exchangers so I turned off Zone 2 completely. There is also a Thermostat in my storage compartment to heat underneath. (Guessing that is really the Zone 2)
It took me some adjusting to figure out some good settings, but so far it is all working fine. Thanks for everyone's help
Mike, sorry about your wife passing

Zone 2 is really the recirculation loop to act as a stir pump since the 400 doesn't have a dedicated unit. You should feel heat in the exchanger but no fan when the unit is recirculating after you turn it on and it warms up. 450D units have a dedicated stir pump.

And you should have two thermostats and two exchangers in the basement, any way the 43 foot and up do
Old 11-15-2022, 07:10 PM   #10

THOR #24608
CmikeGo

Very sorry Mike. My thoughts are with you as are Prayers.
Mike and Cat
Old 11-17-2022, 01:57 PM   #11

THOR #26840
Quote:
Mike, sorry about your wife passing

Zone 2 is really the recirculation loop to act as a stir pump since the 400 doesn't have a dedicated unit. You should feel heat in the exchanger but no fan when the unit is recirculating after you turn it on and it warms up. 450D units have a dedicated stir pump.

And you should have two thermostats and two exchangers in the basement, any way the 43 foot and up do
I have a regular thermostat AND a turn dial next to it in basement. But it doesn't seem like the one for the tanks turns on, not sure which one controls that. Or if the one by tanks is even working, there is a sensor with an orage cap on it near tanks, but I don't hear that heat exchanger run. Need to do some testing
Old 11-17-2022, 03:10 PM   #12

THOR #9178
Quote:
I have a regular thermostat AND a turn dial next to it in basement. But it doesn't seem like the one for the tanks turns on, not sure which one controls that. Or if the one by tanks is even working, there is a sensor with an orage cap on it near tanks, but I don't hear that heat exchanger run. Need to do some testing
Sounds like most Tuscany coaches. Both exchangers are up high in the rails and you should feel them warm up if the thermostats are calling for heat.

Aquahot has to be heated up and circulating via zone 2, half bath before either will kick in.

I usually set them around 50 degrees when were in below freezing temperatures
Old 11-17-2022, 03:23 PM   #13

THOR #26840
Quote:
Sounds like most Tuscany coaches. Both exchangers are up high in the rails and you should feel them warm up if the thermostats are calling for heat.

Aquahot has to be heated up and circulating via zone 2, half bath before either will kick in.

I usually set them around 50 degrees when were in below freezing temperatures
All the interior heat exchangers are working. Under dash drivers feet, under dinette table, half bath vanity, bedroom drawers, master bath vanity, and the center main basement. Aquahot is both in Burner & Electric switch on.
Just need to figure out the control or tstat sensor for tank area
Old 11-17-2022, 10:22 PM   #14

THOR #9178
Quote:
All the interior heat exchangers are working. Under dash drivers feet, under dinette table, half bath vanity, bedroom drawers, master bath vanity, and the center main basement. Aquahot is both in Burner & Electric switch on.
Just need to figure out the control or tstat sensor for tank area
Turn zone 2 on and see if your basement heat comes on, thermostats set several degrees above the ambient
Old 11-17-2022, 10:26 PM   #15

THOR #9178
That is turn Zone 2 on to gas heat and be sure the thermostat is turned up calling for heat

Then go check your basement thermostats and registers to see if your heating
Old 11-17-2022, 10:30 PM   #16

THOR #26840
Quote:
That is turn Zone 2 on to gas heat and be sure the thermostat is turned up calling for heat

Then go check your basement thermostats and registers to see if your heating

My zone 2 only has elec on thermostat. I think it's already directly wired to basement. I just need to figure out if sensor for tanks is bad. The heat exchanger in basement works
Old 11-17-2022, 10:34 PM   #17

THOR #9178
Quote:
My zone 2 only has elec on thermostat. I think it's already directly wired to basement. I just need to figure out if sensor for tanks is bad. The heat exchanger in basement works
Maybe the difference in two and three heat pumps. I set mine all to gas heat when running the basement heat and switch when temps are higher to the three heat pumps

Be interesting to see what you find. Maybe just use your multi meter and be sure the thermostats are sending a signal for heat
Old 11-25-2022, 12:05 AM   #18

THOR #26840
UPDATE - While on the road to a new campground my aqua hot stopped working and started buzzing all the time. Had a RV mobile Aqua Hot service technician come out. Turns out the control relay box went bad. Put a new one on and it turns out this thing operates totally different. Evwr since I bought it and turned on Aqua Hot the burner and pumps ran all the time. Now it actually cycles like it is suppose to.
Old 11-25-2022, 12:15 AM   #19

THOR #24608
$$control card $$

Sure is nice when they work correctly. I still cant get my front zone to work correctly. Did the annual service and no change. Didn't expect it to but... Calling AquaHot monday in hope they can help me. No odd noise's and no fault lights. If I can make it till summer I plan to go to the factory and get other big things replaced or fixed.
Glad to hear you got your heat fixed Mike
Old 11-25-2022, 03:00 AM   #20

THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by First RV 4 me View Post
Sure is nice when they work correctly. I still cant get my front zone to work correctly. Did the annual service and no change. Didn't expect it to but... Calling AquaHot monday in hope they can help me. No odd noise's and no fault lights. If I can make it till summer I plan to go to the factory and get other big things replaced or fixed.

Glad to hear you got your heat fixed Mike
Is your zone 1 pump running when you selct heat, gas, on zone 1, and have the thermostat calling for heat?

What is the antifreeze temperature?

Burner cycling on and off?