Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2019, 02:55 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 3901
State: Florida
THOR #6952
Aria 3901 - Air Ride

We have a 2019 Aria 3901 and so far are loving the coach, but haven't had much success with the "auto" setting on the air ride system. Should we be changing the setting from auto to lower when we arrive at the camp site? This past weekend the coach did not lower when I lowered the jacks. Curious if other Aria owners have had this issue.

Old 05-28-2019, 11:42 AM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
most likely you can either 'lower' the coach, if you wish, or it will stay lifted if you don't... I don't think it's 'automatically' lowered just because you lower your levelers...mine doesn't, and I like the option of doing it myself.

If you have the Manual 'lever' airbag control, and you have the LCI leveling system:

Arrive, lower your bags, extend your jacks.... your jacks then don't have NEAR as far to have to travel, and your coach 'sits' much lower, making it easier for entry/exit, and also provided better stability because the center of gravity is now lower.

When you're ready to leave, crank up, push your bags back to 'auto' to raise them, give them a minute to air up, THEN 'retract all' your leveler jacks... this provides a good 'buffer' of air in the bags to keep the retracting action from 'jumping' the coach as the legs start moving up.

If you want, you can also employ the MANUAL method of leveling, making the process actually much 'smoother'. The AUTO leveling, while a 'nice' option, tends to take too much 'action' and seems to jerk the coach around while trying to level it, and it tends to push the jacks higher than really needed.
Using MANUAL mode puts YOU in control: Turn on the panel, push and hold MANUAL until the light comes on.
Use the 'arrows' to know which side/end of the coach is low. Sometimes it's only one side, or end, and sometimes it's both a side and an end. Either way, push the OPPOSITE side or end first, just enough so that those legs lift the coach only slightly, providing a good starting 'foundation'.
THEN, press the button for the side or end that is low, and holding it until the legs bring up the coach to the point that the panel Center light turns GREEN, and the process stops automatically.
Now, your coach is stable and sits much lower than it would under the 'auto' usage.
If one of the ends needs attention, press it's button until the same happens.
You'll get used to how this works the more you use it, but essentially each 'pair' of legs operate in tandem, either a side, or a end.

You can also use MANUAL mode when you retract your legs, especially if on a slope where your legs had to really extend far. Press and hold MANUAL until it lights, then press and hold RETRACT ALL for as long as you wish, or as short as you wish, as the legs could start 'bouncing' down because of all the weight of the coach... if you re-air the bags(auto) for a short time before you do this, as I said before, it REALLY helps to keep this from happening, as well. Hold the RETRACT ALL until the legs are completely retracted - you should hear a different 'sound' when this happens, but if you're not sure, you can press Manual to go back to auto mode, then hit Retract All once and the system will complete the process, if it is not yet.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 12:42 PM   #3

State: Idaho
THOR #9660
We always manually lower the coach before using the jacks.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:38 AM   #4
LDK

State: Colorado
THOR #13190
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
most likely you can either 'lower' the coach, if you wish, or it will stay lifted if you don't... I don't think it's 'automatically' lowered just because you lower your levelers...mine doesn't, and I like the option of doing it myself.

If you have the Manual 'lever' airbag control, and you have the LCI leveling system:

Arrive, lower your bags, extend your jacks.... your jacks then don't have NEAR as far to have to travel, and your coach 'sits' much lower, making it easier for entry/exit, and also provided better stability because the center of gravity is now lower.

When you're ready to leave, crank up, push your bags back to 'auto' to raise them, give them a minute to air up, THEN 'retract all' your leveler jacks... this provides a good 'buffer' of air in the bags to keep the retracting action from 'jumping' the coach as the legs start moving up.

If you want, you can also employ the MANUAL method of leveling, making the process actually much 'smoother'. The AUTO leveling, while a 'nice' option, tends to take too much 'action' and seems to jerk the coach around while trying to level it, and it tends to push the jacks higher than really needed.
Using MANUAL mode puts YOU in control: Turn on the panel, push and hold MANUAL until the light comes on.
Use the 'arrows' to know which side/end of the coach is low. Sometimes it's only one side, or end, and sometimes it's both a side and an end. Either way, push the OPPOSITE side or end first, just enough so that those legs lift the coach only slightly, providing a good starting 'foundation'.
THEN, press the button for the side or end that is low, and holding it until the legs bring up the coach to the point that the panel Center light turns GREEN, and the process stops automatically.
Now, your coach is stable and sits much lower than it would under the 'auto' usage.
If one of the ends needs attention, press it's button until the same happens.
You'll get used to how this works the more you use it, but essentially each 'pair' of legs operate in tandem, either a side, or a end.

You can also use MANUAL mode when you retract your legs, especially if on a slope where your legs had to really extend far. Press and hold MANUAL until it lights, then press and hold RETRACT ALL for as long as you wish, or as short as you wish, as the legs could start 'bouncing' down because of all the weight of the coach... if you re-air the bags(auto) for a short time before you do this, as I said before, it REALLY helps to keep this from happening, as well. Hold the RETRACT ALL until the legs are completely retracted - you should hear a different 'sound' when this happens, but if you're not sure, you can press Manual to go back to auto mode, then hit Retract All once and the system will complete the process, if it is not yet.
Thank you for the details on manual leveling. Been using Auto to date. Used manual leveling today and agree it was much smoother. Will be trying option to add air before retracting the Jack's. Have never liked the jerking of the Auto approach!