Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2019, 02:34 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 3901
State: Florida
THOR #6952
Aria 3901 - Fan Running for Converter?

I have a 2019 Aria 3901 I noticed that a fan? Is running near our Converter/Engine underneath the rear bathroom. Everything is turned off, except I am plugged into 110 house power to keep the refrigerator powered. We just returned from camping and have never noticed the "fan" before and it has now been running for 8 hours. Is this normal? Thank you for any help !

Old 05-06-2019, 03:43 AM   #2

State: Idaho
THOR #9660
Yes that is normal. The fan provides cooing air for the inverter. But it is directly over the muffler so there is a lot of heat in that area. Some have installed an adjustable controller, some have placed an ice cube on the controller for just a second to shut the fan down. I have just opened the compartment door for a while and it shuts down pretty quickly, but I do plan on installing the adjustable controller. They are pretty inexpensive and an easy install. Example here-https://www.amazon.com/Emerson-3F05-1-Adjustable-Snap-Control/dp/B000PY7T7I

mike
Old 05-06-2019, 11:32 AM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
you won't have a converter, but you have an INVERTER, which creates heat when inverting 12v to 120v power to your fridge, and outlets. As this heat 'heats up' and reaches a certain temperature internally, a separate installed fan comes on to remove the heat from your storage bay where the inverter is located, which is what you are hearing.
Sometimes these fans run for a while, and sometimes it seems they never turn off - some of us will touch it's 'sensor' with a piece of ice to trick it into cutting off.

Otherwise, it's just a little fan, like in your computer, and not a big draw or big deal, though it can seem a little annoying if it's right below where you are sleeping, etc.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:44 AM   #4

State: Florida
THOR #6952
Thank you so much. It reassuring to know it is normal and i will take the advise of opening the cargo door when we reach our destination. Thank you both!
Old 04-25-2020, 05:33 AM   #5

State: California
THOR #17726
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1noel View Post
Yes that is normal. The fan provides cooing air for the inverter. But it is directly over the muffler so there is a lot of heat in that area. Some have installed an adjustable controller, some have placed an ice cube on the controller for just a second to shut the fan down. I have just opened the compartment door for a while and it shuts down pretty quickly, but I do plan on installing the adjustable controller. They are pretty inexpensive and an easy install. Example here-https://www.amazon.com/Emerson-3F05-1-Adjustable-Snap-Control/dp/B000PY7T7I

mike
So helpful. Had this exact issue tonight. I love this forrum.
Old 04-25-2020, 12:00 PM   #6

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
in a few instances over the years when this fan seems to run too long, even when outside temps have lowered considerably, and yet it keeps running for hours and hours, I get a piece of ice from the freezer, take it outside to the inverter bay, and touch it to it's 'sensor', which immediately turns it off.
The sensor is a flat, round object, with several wires out the back, usually located in the bulk of wiring somewhere near the fan.
This usually happens after a lot of travel in the hot months, where temps can really get high in this compartment...
Old 04-25-2020, 04:53 PM   #7

Model: Thor Tuscany 40DX
State: Colorado
THOR #5043
On my 2015 Tuscany I have the same fan. I simply disconnect one of the little round temp sensor's lead. Pull the lead off one of the push on spade connectors. If the converter/inverter is quite hot I open the door or replace the lead.
Old 04-29-2020, 03:33 PM   #8

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by camperguy99 View Post
On my 2015 Tuscany I have the same fan. I simply disconnect one of the little round temp sensor's lead. Pull the lead off one of the push on spade connectors. If the converter/inverter is quite hot I open the door or replace the lead.
The factory setting OEM on my thermo disk is 110 F, Warm weather and inverter running it will certainly stay on even after parking and shutting down

I replaced mine with one rated at 100 F and it seems to be closer to what i like to see
Old 11-04-2022, 10:06 PM   #9

State: New Mexico
THOR #2538
We noticed the same thing, summer in the desert can trip the temp sensor during the heat of the day.

NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 09:56 PM   #10

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
My fan did the same thing, it would run forever so I put a temp gauge beside the snap disk and found that over the years it’s tolerance values had gotten wider, order a couple new ones from Amazon and problem fixed.