Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2019, 04:02 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: South Carolina
THOR #15305
Aria 4000 fuel economy

We are considering the purchase of a new Aria 4000 and were wondering if any current owners could comment on any reliability issues and fuel economy expectations We are new to this forum

Old 05-13-2019, 01:19 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Aria 4000 fuel economy

I don’t t have an Aria (or even a DP!) but I can say with confidence that you will need some repairs and adjustments even on a gorgeous, expensive machine like this. I would suggest you talk to the Service Manager (or even the dealership General Manager) before buying to determine your level of confidence in after the sale service. If you will be buying privately or from a dealer far away go shopping for a service center near your home so you will know you have that covered. You will hear a LOT of trash talk about Thor and their products here but I’m confident that you’ll be fine once you get the “new bugs” out. Can’t really offer any opinions on fuel economy. Take your time, negotiate hard and then enjoy your travels. And welcome to a wonderful forum.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:36 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to the Forum!
Fuel mileage is so dependent upon factors like how your right foot dances with the "loud pedal", the terrain you're traversing, the load that you've got on board...
It's just one of those times that the phrase: "Your mileage may vary" is pretty darn accurate...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:42 PM   #4

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
The 4000 is a foot longer and a little heavier, but we get consistently around 9.2 while towing a 4700LB toad. The worst mpg we have gotten was 8.7 on a 1000 mile trip into a head wind both ways. The best was 9.7 over about 1800 miles. These are mostly interstate trips where I tend to drive mostly around 72 mph. I'm sure I could do better on mileage a little slower. We are not yet retired and feel the need to get where we are going. We had a few initial issues that took our dealership a while to repair, but nothing that made the coach unusable. For the last year and a half it has been totally reliable.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:18 PM   #5

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Do your research on any new RV (like your doing). I like most of the Thor products but Im sure all of them have some QC issues.

Make sure you get the best deal you can when you purchase any new RV.

I know the Gas powered coaches most member are negotiating about 30 - 35% off of list price but some we able to swing 40% off (But I think the best deals are had on the 2019 models when the 2020 are already hitting the dealers).

Getting the best price up front help me feel better when you have to fix a few thing the first year or two.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:23 PM   #6

State: South Carolina
THOR #15305
ttylerdun

Thanks so much for all of your responses. I have owned a 40 ft Revolution LE with a 400 Cat and Beaver Marquis in the past. Both got mid 7's, but I do not drive easy to maximize economy. Working through initial bugs is part of the process on all of them. Thank you again to all of you.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:28 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Happy Shopping...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:40 PM   #8

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Well it sound like you know what your looking for and have past knowledge of DP so your way ahead of what I know.

I would hope for more like 10 - 12 MPG on a DP but I guess it all depends on your avg speed and grade.

IMO the quaility will be simular to any other Thor products ... so after you carfully inspect everything inside an out (spend 2 + hours doing so) and if you get them down around 35 - 40% off of list..... pull the trigger. Life is too short to be sitting on the sidelines.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4000, aria, fuel, mpg