Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2017, 01:46 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
Aria electric issues

Literally every Aria 3901 owner I have been able to contact seems to have the same GFI issue. Are there any owners out there who's GFI doesn't trip frequently? Are all floor plans having the same issue? Has anyone been able to fix it? Please answer and include your year and model.
Thanks,
Mike

Old 12-09-2017, 02:39 AM   #2

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Don't have an Aria, but my Gemini has that problem too. Sometimes will go a month or more without tripping, sometimes every couple of days.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:10 PM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Don't have an Aria either, but there are reasons for a GFI to trip...
Try the below in any order.
  • Possibly a bad GFI outlet... they don't last forever. Try replacing to see if it resolves the issue.
  • Possibly water in outlet - check the outside outlets removing the cover (with power off and preferably right after it trips) and insure not getting wet inside.
  • Wiring issue - loose or disconnected wire on an outlet in the chain (the GFI protects all outlets wired 'downstream' from it.) - Check for correct wiring with one of the plug in testers with 3 LEDS.. Looks for missing or reversed wires.. Open the outlets and be sure everything all connections are solid.
  • Doing its job - an appliance plugged in has a ground fault that is being properly detected... and its doing what it is designed to do - preventing you from getting shocked. See what is in use each time it trips to try to narrow down... Unplug things you might normally leave in and see if it stops tripping.
Not much else I can think of that would be present in an RV that might cause this issue... Hopefully one of the above will identify the problem.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:26 PM   #4

THOR #9660
Thanks hmm, but this seems to be an issue with all the 3901s. My dealer has been through all those steps, at least 5 different gfis. Happens every time we start the engine or plug into 110. I think it must me an invertet/transfer switch problem.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:31 PM   #5

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
are you stating that the GFCI outlets DO work when on the Inverter, but it TRIPS when you plug into Shore Power or use the Generator?

I doubt that this is a 'Aria' only issue, but GFCI tripping can be aggravating - we've all dealt with it at some point(s)... it's usually either a 'wet' issue with the outlet in the outside storage bay(moisture), or something similar, but it's doubtful it's the inverter since it has no control over the GFCI itself, only the 120v power going thru each breaker.
Your breaker for the GFCI might also be something to check. Some can have 'loose' connections and it could be the culprit. My Palazzo had several breakers with this same issue, found months after ownership, and only when the breakers started tripping for unknown reasons, but usually when a heavier load, such as an AC unit, coming online.

Electrical wiring to a 'new' loadbox, such as within a new motorhome, are tightened to specs at the factory, during install... BUT, most electricians will tell you that you should check these and reapply torque AFTER the initial first usage. Certainly, with RVs skipping and moving down the road, the electrical connections can easily be found loose after your initial travels.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:03 PM   #6

THOR #9660
The reason I speculate that it might me an inverter/transfer switch issue (transfer switch is internal part of inverter/charger) is because it trips every time the 110 source is changed. Plug in to shore power it trips, Start engine, it trips, start generator, it trips. Sometimes when it trips while using the inverter, it can't be reset until hooked up to shore power. After the dealer called and told me it was fixed, it tripped on the way home (seven miles). Then when I plugged in to shore power I lost all 110 inside the coach. Unplug from shore power, inverter kicks in and I have 110. Plug in again, no power inside coach. EMS panel shows 110 getting to inverter, but no 110 coming out. Sounds like transfer switch to me, but I am definitely not an expert.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:55 PM   #7

Model: Aria 3401
THOR #8959
Our GFI trips EVERY time we are on Inverter only. Replaced with high end GFI, same problem. Several outlets feed through it, so it is a problem. We for now have removed the GFI in the bathroom, and use point of use devices with GFI on plugs of appliance. In the outside we use a plug in GFI for protection. Poor work around until we figure out what is up with the inverter. That is where the problem is. If we have 110V via generator or shore power, no problem, when we go to 12V inverted power only, gfi fails...

Also, this had been a problem since day one. suspect a incorrect wiring at factory.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:30 PM   #8

THOR #5821
Ours has been trouble shot several times, by the dealer, who at one point said they found a ground fault in one of the kitchen outlets. Still no difference. GFI has been replaced, no difference. Moisture I doubt is an issue, motorhome is stored inside closed garage, and weather has been very very dry, no rain, humidity around 8 to 12%. It always resets ok, sometimes will go several months without tripping, or maybe a day or two. At this point, I guess I'm just living with it. When we are out, we use the kitchen outlets a lot, for toaster, coffee pot, no problems. Ours is not related to the inverter.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:59 PM   #9

Model: Thor Tuscany 40DX
State: Colorado
THOR #5043
My Honda EU2000 does not work properely since the ground[white] wire is not bonded to neutral as it is on house systems. You can make a plug that connects ground (green) to neutral (white) near the inverter and I'll bet the GFI will work. It's worth a try. Migt work if the RV connects those two as well?
Old 12-29-2017, 08:53 PM   #10

State: Maine
THOR #10229
I called Magnum and they said change the gfi outlet to one that is approved by them. Leviton 8899 is what I used, there are others. It is an older gfi outlet but ebay had many. I had to get white as there wasn't any dark brown. It seems to work fine. I have gone back and forth from shore power to inverter without any tripping.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:07 AM   #11

THOR #9660
Funny that you updated this today, just as I was on my way to the dealer to pick mine up. My dealer, Thor, and Magnum went back and forth on this for nearly 4 months. Many different GFI's were installed and tried. All of the wiring to the inverter was replaced. All the wiring from the inverter to breaker box was replaced. The wiring from breaker box to GFI was replaced. Finally, and I don't know who decided to do this, they installed a true sine wave inverter. Problem solved. Thanks to Thor, my dealer, and Magnum.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:02 AM   #12

State: Maine
THOR #10229
I'm glad you finally got your Aria fixed and back in your possession. This will probably be an avenue for others to go down now that you have done it. Plus, the brochure says it has a true done wave inverter. Mine is now working so I will leave it be for now. We head out of Maine January 13th for the winter! Yay! It's our 3rd morning at minus 20 degrees fahrenheit!
Old 01-03-2018, 01:07 PM   #13
CSR

State: Minnesota
THOR #6177
GFI Fix - New Inverter Model Number?

Hi m1noel,

Can you provide the model number for the new true sine wave inverter you had installed?
Old 01-03-2018, 02:19 PM   #14

THOR #9660
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSR View Post
Hi m1noel,

Can you provide the model number for the new true sine wave inverter you had installed?
Its the Magnum MS2000.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:18 PM   #15
CSR

THOR #6177
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1noel View Post
Its the Magnum MS2000.
Thanks you!
Old 01-05-2018, 03:21 AM   #16

Model: ARIA 3901
THOR #9361
Gfi

Hey m1noel!
Glad you got that sorted out, I believe the new ones have that model in them. Mine is still slated for the end of Feb, but starting to get cold feet. Found one in Mesa AZ that would fit the bill. They drove it to San Diego to sister dealer. They had 2 days to prep it. Did a walk through, made a list then drove it! Once again, unable to hear myself think. Sales guy was making light of it but we went back to service where they attempted to make some adjustments and work on the punch list. When we walked back in and saw the quality of their work, we left! These guys couldn't fix a sandwich. So, 2 days lost and about $400.00 wasted, wife fractured toe and both of us sick! Also ran into a couple with a 2017 there. She was picking up a new couch that Thor authorized an outside shop to install as this dealer had the coach for 3 weeks and did nothing. 6 months old, very few issues for them. I did notice but did not want to bring it up but the exterior acrylic grab handle was already cracking and the inside plastic cover on the entry door was warped something awful. Any issues with yours?
Old 01-05-2018, 02:50 PM   #17

THOR #9660
Hey Redline. Sorry about your wife's toe. Tell her not to kick the tires quite so hard. It's cold here in Idaho and we aren't really winter campers, so haven't actually used the rig since we got it back. I have spent quite a bit of time out in it going through things and I think its pretty much sorted out and can't wait to go camping. I forgot to mention to the dealer that the touch screen on the radio didn't work (it works fine using the remote), so I called Thor and they are shipping me a new one. It is going back around the end of the month to get the auxiliary air line from the compressor to the front of the coach near the generator (apparently the factory forgot it) installed. I really think Thor is taking care of things pretty well. Phoning customer service has been a very pleasant experience. I get the feeling they do care about their customers. Good luck, let us know what you decide.
Mike
Old 03-20-2018, 06:23 PM   #18

Brand: Still Looking
State: Arkansas
THOR #7075
GFCI issues with 3901 Aria

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1noel View Post
Literally every Aria 3901 owner I have been able to contact seems to have the same GFI issue. Are there any owners out there who's GFI doesn't trip frequently? Are all floor plans having the same issue? Has anyone been able to fix it? Please answer and include your year and model.
Thanks,
Mike
Mine is one year old now. Had issues from beginning. Finally, the dealer pulled the GFI out and found bare wire behind the plate. Had to pull out face board, repair wires, and supposedly “fixed” the issue. It’s still in the shop, but they State it hasn’t tripped in two or three days since the repair. I bought a better rated GFCI plug and asked them to install it after repair to hopefully eliminate issue.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:45 PM   #19

THOR #5821
Per my post last December, we have a Gemini, and have that same issue. It has been trouble shot, several times by the dealer, and me, have checked every possible circuit, checked the shore power at storage, all is good. Changed out the GFI, still trips, but inconsistently. It has now gone about two months without tripping, but its done that before, then for some reason will start tripping daily for awhile, then not. The only pattern I have been able to see, so far, it never seems to trip while we are out and the electrical system is loaded, or at least it hasn't yet. I haven't been able to make sense of it, as of yet.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:49 AM   #20
CSR

THOR #6177
upgrade to a pure sine inverter

We had an electrician look at the issue. He was convinced the problem is due the modified sine wave inverter. Something about the square wave pattern causing subtle faults that cause most GCFI receptacles to trip. Our dealer swapped the receptacle, but the problem continues to persist. We plan to upgrade to a pure sine inverter and see if we get better results.

Tags
3901, aria, electric problem, gfci, gfi, inverter, magnum