Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2016, 12:48 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Asking the experts here

OK, just wanted to see what is the "best' wax (or similar product for shine and/or protection) for a AXIS/VEGAS?

Didn't know if car wax, or marine wax (for fiberglass) would be better

Old 10-01-2016, 01:45 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I have a best friend who has been a professional detailer for over 35 years, he recommends fiberglass wax used on boats. Boats sit in pretty harsh environments and good wax makes a difference. I get my boat wax at West Marine, sorry but don't remember the name, works good!
Old 10-01-2016, 04:18 AM   #3

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #2123
I have used Turtle Wax car wash. No additional wax is needed, in my opinion.

On the front I do apply Turtle Wax Ice Edge liquid wax. Makes taking the bugs off much easier.

Good luck!
Old 10-01-2016, 04:37 AM   #4
Kev

Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
Wax

I use Rejex which is a sealer they use on airplanes. I have had good luck with it.
I am sure you will get a variety of answers on this one. Some people like Fords some like Chevies.

Kevin
Old 10-01-2016, 12:27 PM   #5

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
I have used NuFinish for years on autos and larger boats. I began using it on our RVs because it seemed to last for several months. Recently I have been trying McGuires on my Harley and will probably use it on the Thor to see how long it holds up.

Over the years I tried several different waxes from marine supply stores and wasn't impressed with them either way, except by the price. But you may find a really good one at West Marine. I just never had much luck.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:32 PM   #6

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
I've been using NuFinish for 2 years now on the RV mostly due to recommendations from numerous other RVers and used it on my autos prior to that. It seems to offer really good shine and long lasting protection. Never use a buffer; just a good applicator and soft cloth.

There are lots more expensive waxes and may do a better job, but I'm satisfied with the NuFinish product.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:07 PM   #7

State: Alaska
THOR #5588
Let me preface this by saying that I am a certified Meguires detailer, took their courses, read their updates etc. I was parked in a Campground and across from me was an absolutely spotless Monaco. I could not believe the shine on it. 30mins later the owner came out and I had to ask him what he uses. He proceeded to tell me that the RV is 8yrs old... What? It looked better than my brand new 2017 Palazzo. He is the owner of a trucking company and his secret is that after you wash and wax it once, mix 1part Meguires gold class car wash with 1 part Turtle Wax Zip wax wash. Never have to wax it again.
I've tried his suggestion for about 2 months and it is absolutely amazing. No Grey streaks dirt doesn't stick to it and bugs wipe off easily.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:46 PM   #8

THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutcastJeeps View Post
Let me preface this by saying that I am a certified Meguires detailer, took their courses, read their updates etc. I was parked in a Campground and across from me was an absolutely spotless Monaco. I could not believe the shine on it. 30mins later the owner came out and I had to ask him what he uses. He proceeded to tell me that the RV is 8yrs old... What? It looked better than my brand new 2017 Palazzo. He is the owner of a trucking company and his secret is that after you wash and wax it once, mix 1part Meguires gold class car wash with 1 part Turtle Wax Zip wax wash. Never have to wax it again.
I've tried his suggestion for about 2 months and it is absolutely amazing. No Grey streaks dirt doesn't stick to it and bugs wipe off easily.
Thanks for the tip. You can bet I'll try it, if I never have to wax again.
Mine is parked outside and if it stand the FL sun, it is a keeper.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:53 PM   #9

THOR #5196
I am assuming that you mean mix the two parts together and then wash like normal? Nothing else to do? I have used the Meguires for years and like it but have always used wax a couple of times a year.
Old 10-08-2016, 03:34 PM   #10

THOR #5588
Yes, mix the gold class and zip wax in your wash bucket with water as usual. I recommend using Meguires cleaner wax to remove any grey streaks prior to starting the entire process. More often then not wash and wax doesn't remove the streaks well enough.
So to recap: 1. Wash rv, 2.clean with Meguires cleaner wax, 3. Wax entire RV with a good quality wax. (ice wax or any other spray on is not real wax). 4. Wash regularly with the gold class/zip wax combo.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:08 PM   #11

THOR #5196
Sounds good to me, thanks for the clarification!!!
Old 10-08-2016, 07:07 PM   #12

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Yes, mix the gold class and zip wax in your wash bucket with water as usual. I recommend using Meguires cleaner wax to remove any grey streaks prior to starting the entire process. More often then not wash and wax doesn't remove the streaks well enough.
So to recap: 1. Wash rv, 2.clean with Meguires cleaner wax, 3. Wax entire RV with a good quality wax. (ice wax or any other spray on is not real wax). 4. Wash regularly with the gold class/zip wax combo.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for that great tip. You can bet that many of us will be using this method for years to come!
Old 10-08-2016, 08:42 PM   #13

THOR #5588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post

Welcome to the forum and thanks for that great tip. You can bet that many of us will be using this method for years to come!
As much as I would like to take credit for the idea, it was passed on to me from one of the nicest guys you could meet.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:22 PM   #14

Model: Ace 30.2
State: Washington
THOR #5063
I have worked in the autobody field for 17 years and before that I detailed cars for 10 years. I have found that the best wax is a paint sealer. I put it on with a 6 inch d/a wax/polisher let it sit until you see a haze and it wipes right off. Last way longer than a regular wax. I can't remember the brand but most automotive stores will carry it. You could also check at an autobody supply store.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:48 AM   #15

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
As much as I would like to take credit for the idea, it was passed on to me from one of the nicest guys you could meet.

Hey, you took the initiative to share, so it's ok to take some credit. Few of our thoughts are original, anyway!
Old 02-17-2017, 08:48 PM   #16

THOR #4816
I am still somewhat perplexed about wax for the RV. I have several brands of wax in the garage and most state that they should not be used or are not recommended for vinyl, metalicized plastic trim, decals, flat paint, simulated wood, and rubber. Well, it is next to impossible to wax the newer RVs with all their vinyl swirls and metalicized plastic without getting wax on them. These warnings are on Meguiar's Cleaner Wax, Rally car wax, and NuFinish among others. Anyone have trouble with decals, rubber, or plastic trim when using these waxes? I suspect other waxes may contain petroleum distillates that could damage decals. At this point, I'm just about afraid to wax the RV. Need advice.

Carol
Old 02-19-2017, 05:00 AM   #17

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: West Virginia
THOR #3119
Get a good fibreglass boat wax like Starbright Gold. Boats are also covered with vinyl graphics and pin striping and it never hurt mine. You wont find a wax thats safe for black plastic trim. It always holds some wax or turns grey. You can either cover it with blue painters tape or clean the wax off with alcohol and a toothbrush.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:23 PM   #18

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Are some waxes better than others? Probably, and in most cases you get what you pay for. We live in SW Florida where the UV is brutal, then we travel in the summer but always in hot sunny areas. I have used Nufinish, Meguires products, and several marine waxes on my RV's. Some seem to last a little longer than others, and some are easier to apply. I think the bottom line is to make sure you keep a coat of protective wax on it year around. If you live in the Midwest that may mean waxing it once, if you live and travel where I do that means waxing it at least twice or maybe even three times a year.

But I am certainly going to start washing it using OutCastJeeps suggestion "mix 1part Meguires gold class car wash with 1 part Turtle Wax Zip wax wash."
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 05:30 PM   #19

Model: ACE EVO 30.3
THOR #6059
Wax for RV

I use the Turtle Wax Ice products on my new ACE 30.3. I have had several people at RV parks ask me what I use on it because my finish literally looks like glass! The ICE spray wax ( yes, it has carnuba in it) goes on super easy and doesn't harm or streak glass, rubber or plastics. I wash the rig with ICE wash & wax a microfiber mop on a long handle pole and warm water. It takes two bottles of the ICE spray on wax. Just spray on and wipe with some microfiber towels, very easy! Turtle Wax claims that their ICE system builds layers of protection with continued use.
So far I am quite pleased with the results and ease of use with these products. I live in S/W Florida, so we will see if they can hold up under our conditions here?

Steven B.
2017 ACE 30.3
S/W Florida
Old 02-20-2017, 04:10 AM   #20

THOR #4816
samven, Joe-FL, & Steven,

Thanks for your advice and describing your experience with waxes. Well, I am now going to start experimenting using the suggestions/recommendations I've read here.

Thanks,
Carol