Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2019, 04:22 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
We are all using our awning wrong!

Check this out: We are all using our awning wrong?? We should extend about 2 foot, pause, then finish extending. This allows the gas struts to catch up to us.

I dont think he mentioned if we should do the same when retracting but perhaps it wouldnt hurt.

He said it will make the gas struts last a long longer. I think I will do this to be safe. Not like it costs anything (but about 30 seconds of time).

2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:28 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Except that our awning doesn't have an "automatic rain dumping" feature--if I don't tilt it the rain stays there.

In addition: What about all the newer awnings that don't require the user to push and hold: They just tap and the awning automatically fully extends.

Don't think this video applies ...
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:33 PM   #3

THOR #12231
I know, I thought about the newer awnings too. I guess dont worry about it. They will eventually wear out anyway.

I thought our awnings had gas struts on them. They might be for for helping extending than a dumping but I remember seeing (and hearing) struts on mine.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 02-22-2019, 04:43 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
There sure are a lot of "experts" out there...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 05:15 PM   #5

THOR #12231
Yeah, but it make sense on what he says. I might try it (If I remember).
Old 02-22-2019, 05:18 PM   #6

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
Opinions are like noses, everyone has one, most smell
Old 02-22-2019, 06:14 PM   #7

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
He's right. the hood to our cars have them too. I usually close the hood halfway...drive halfway to work, then close it the rest of the way.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 06:29 PM   #8

THOR #12231
"Drive have way to work".... Your one of those trouble makers arnt you? I bet you cut the mattress tags off and run down the hallway with sissors in your hand. LOL.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:31 PM   #9

THOR #12231
I think what to take away from this is "depending on how much you use your awning". You might only extend once or twice a month overall (including storage time). Or your living it for 6+ mo a year and your extend and retact every day so the wind dont rip it off at night or while your away form the RV. To each his own.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:57 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
What if you have an armless awning?
Old 02-22-2019, 07:48 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
I have had my gas struts of the arms of my CofC Latitude patio awning three times repairing the ends of the roller do to driving with it extended (not recommended). The struts cannot be compressed with my 170 lbs pushing down on them. I have never noticed any slack in the awning when extending it.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:32 PM   #12

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
well.... I don't have that feature, but I'll comment anyway.

It strikes me that what he's getting at is plausible.
but stating a specific distance...or any distance really... seems a bit of a stretch to me.
I get that the gas strut might have a different rate than the motion of the awning's motor.... and his primes is that the strut is slower. How much slower?
also, he's saying that the strut has enough internal capacity for over pressurization equivalent to 2ft of awning travel. OK, gas is compressible...and ok, the seals/strut has some sort of pressure limit....
but if it's 2ft of travel. Aint it going to over pressurize over the next two feet of travel???
So my take is that if this 2ft number is correct...you'd better be stopping every 2ft or less all the way out!

Personally, I think the idea is sound.... but the number has been pulled out of the air.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:15 AM   #13

Model: 3719 Newmar
THOR #14120
When I push the button my awning comes out. I have never been able to stop it. Same when I retract it. One push and it does the rest on its own
Old 03-02-2019, 09:08 PM   #14

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
THOR #9033
Now that we've mentioned the newer awnings not being tiltable, what's the best method of getting the rain dumped. Obvious answer is to retract the awning before it rains but.....seems like a broom pushing on the bottom side to dump rain is a little caveman....not to mention a possibility of poking a hole in the awning.....other methods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Except that our awning doesn't have an "automatic rain dumping" feature--if I don't tilt it the rain stays there.

In addition: What about all the newer awnings that don't require the user to push and hold: They just tap and the awning automatically fully extends.

Don't think this video applies ...
Old 03-02-2019, 10:17 PM   #15
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbum18 View Post
Now that we've mentioned the newer awnings not being tiltable, what's the best method of getting the rain dumped. Obvious answer is to retract the awning before it rains but.....seems like a broom pushing on the bottom side to dump rain is a little caveman....not to mention a possibility of poking a hole in the awning.....other methods?
I'm pretty sure all awnings can be tilted. Take a look at this Thor video and see if one of the awnings matches yours:
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:25 PM   #16

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Yes the CofC Latitude patio awnings can be tilted (pitched). Mine came with the rear down about one foot as compared to the front. If you are over 6 ft tall you will probably hit the end of the roller. <https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/documents/070005-201r1%20Latitude%20Owners%20Manual.pdf>
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 11:43 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1551570173
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PMQR7py.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	15935  
Old 03-03-2019, 01:06 AM   #18

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
THOR #9033
Well, how about that. I read that this wasn't supposed to happen...asked the salesguy and he said probably couldn't tilt. Looks like it can. Good news. I haven't picked up the Hurricane yet but it will be something I test first. With the ACE, you could drop it a little which is all that's necessary. Thanks all for responding. I can put the broom away now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I'm pretty sure all awnings can be tilted. Take a look at this Thor video and see if one of the awnings matches yours:
Old 03-03-2019, 01:43 PM   #19

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #13282
Awnings

Great info and a load of laughs this morning thanks: now, our Axis has the self rain water dumping feature with those gas shocks, I'll try to remember to slowly stop n go when extending, sounds plausible.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:29 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
One more video showing the proper procedure: