Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2018, 03:56 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ARIA 3901
State: Georgia
THOR #12263
Auto Gen Start

I have a 2017 Aria 3901 and when trying to use the Automatic Generator Start (AGS), no matter what parameters I use for start, stop run time settings, all it does is start right away and never stop unless I manually stop the generator. Would appreciate any insight/experiences from others that have had a similar issue.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:20 PM   #2

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
The only way I can see this happening, if everything is wired/programmed correctly, is if the generator is seeing the system asking for more juice. Such as the heat pump or air conditioner thermostat settings, or if your batteries are low, below the parameters you set. You might try calling the guys at Wirefly and see if they can help. They talked me through an issue I had and were extremely helpful.
Mike
Old 12-05-2018, 08:44 PM   #3

THOR #4735
yes, if the RUN TIME is set to 30mins, then that's when it should cut off.....

BUT..
if the TEMP setting is applied, then the AGS will continue until that TEMP is met

as for the VOLTS setting, though, even if the batteries are not fully charged, the RUN TIME alone will determine how long it runs, UNLESS you have a ME-ARC Magnum panel that provides for shut down only when the Full CHarge is reached.

Could the system not be properly applying the RUN TIME setting? it's possible... the AGS module, probably located in the your front left(driver) electronic FUSE bay, may need to be looked at, or RESET. You might try pulling the gray 'telephone' wire(s), and then reattach them, and see if any difference is made.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:39 PM   #4

THOR #12263
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1noel View Post
The only way I can see this happening, if everything is wired/programmed correctly, is if the generator is seeing the system asking for more juice. Such as the heat pump or air conditioner thermostat settings, or if your batteries are low, below the parameters you set. You might try calling the guys at Wirefly and see if they can help. They talked me through an issue I had and were extremely helpful.
Mike
Air/heat were set to the off position, only thing that might be using juice is the refrigerator.

Tried settings of do not start until batts are at 12 and shutoff at 13.2, with max run of one hour, batts got to 14.4 and after 1.5 hours gen was still running. Set auto gen start to disable and it shutdown, did not have to use the manual switch.

I have tried other voltage values for the start and stop values to no avail. So I am left with thinking it is the shutdown circuit/relay or whatever it is that is the thing that shuts down the generator.

One other question that I have about the operation is, if the batteries not need a charge at the time when AGS is enabled will the gen start right away anyway? I am thinking I should not need to start, but it does anyway.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:26 PM   #5

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
One other question that I have about the operation is, if the batteries not need a charge at the time when AGS is enabled will the gen start right away anyway? I am thinking I should not need to start, but it does anyway.

It really should start only if there is a need, either power to charge batteries, or to run appliances. Have you called Thor or Wirefly?
Old 12-07-2018, 03:52 PM   #6

THOR #4735
right, even when the AGS is ENABLED, it will/should only start the generator when the parameters of your VOLTS or TEMPS settings are reached, and usually only when they've been reached for at least two continuous minutes - which is to reduce 'nuisance' starting of the generator when volt readings fall only temporarily while under a temporary load, such as the microwave.

ENABLE with QUIET TIME does the same, except it prohibits the AGS from starting the Gen within the set of hours you choose.
This is when you need to also make sure your LBCO setting is left at an appropriate setting to not allow the Inverter to continue to drain the batteries too far... a good rule of thumb setting is 11.5. Not enough to drain the batteries too far, and still enough for the AGS to start the generator when the Quiet Time hours are passed.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 02:39 AM   #7

THOR #12263
Auto Gen Start

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have not called Thor or Wirefly yet, I was trying to understand other experiences first. I have a plan of attack once the weather warms up a bit. I will report back on any progress. Thanks
Old 12-13-2018, 01:09 PM   #8

State: Arizona
THOR #8241
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have not called Thor or Wirefly yet, I was trying to understand other experiences first. I have a plan of attack once the weather warms up a bit. I will report back on any progress. Thanks

When you get an answer let us know. I am having the same problem.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:19 PM   #9

THOR #4735
yep, sounds like a programming issue within your AGS module or Wirefly system, not telling the Generator to shut down.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:10 PM   #10

Model: ACE 30.4
State: Michigan
THOR #13168
I am also interested in there suggestions. When we first got ours when I put it in enable the Generator would start for no reason and just idle along not assuming the load. It ran for a half hour until I shut it off. I didn’t try adjusting anything because it was going in for warranty work and they fixed it while it was there.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:23 PM   #11

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
Generator Issues

Yes, please post what you find out as mine is doing had issues in starting from the dash switch but would start every time from the bedroom firefly panel

Thanks