Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2018, 02:48 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
Automatic levelers "low voltage" error

I have a 2018 Thor Chateau 31E, and I just returned from a weekend camping trip. The auto levelers worked fine at the campground, but I am now getting an error message that says "low voltage". It appears that it grounded the left front jack and all the others are still retracted.

I did a search on these forums and on the internet, and none of the common fixes are working for me. Here is what I've tried:
- Parking brake is set and engine is running.
- I cycled through the menu, and the voltage reading is 13.6 - 13.9 volts, which is plenty.
- I tried it plugged into shore power and also with the generator running.
- I found the inline breaker under the coach. It was not tripped, but I cycled it anyway.

None of these things worked. Any other suggestions?

Old 05-21-2018, 02:57 AM   #2

Model: Ace 30.4
State: Louisiana
THOR #9620
Here is a link to some LCI level trouble shooting guide. http://www.hill-family.us/serrano/Ma...c_Leveling.pdf
Old 05-21-2018, 03:05 AM   #3

THOR #5837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeagle63 View Post
Here is a link to some LCI level trouble shooting guide. http://www.hill-family.us/serrano/Ma...c_Leveling.pdf

That's no help for my problem. My batteries are fully charged to 13.6 volts.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:13 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
see if you have a 'Buss Fuse' in the battery area, maybe mounted on the wall, if a little yellow 'flag' is protruding, it's tripped the fuse....push it back in and see if you now have hydraulics for the legs...

also, you can go into 'Manual' mode and override the 'low voltage' error and lift the legs manually(auto retract button, press and hold)
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:37 PM   #5

THOR #5837
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
see if you have a 'Buss Fuse' in the battery area, maybe mounted on the wall, if a little yellow 'flag' is protruding, it's tripped the fuse....push it back in and see if you now have hydraulics for the legs...

also, you can go into 'Manual' mode and override the 'low voltage' error and lift the legs manually(auto retract button, press and hold)

I found the Bussmann breaker in the battery area. It was not tripped, but I tripped and reset it anyway. This didn't correct the problem.

I also found this control board under the bed behind the breaker panel. All the fuses looked good. I unplugged it and plugged it back in, hoping to reset it, but nothing changed. When it was disconnected there was still power to the control panel when the ignition switch was on, so that control panel apparently gets its power directly from the vehicle.

I tried manual mode and still got the low voltage error whenever I tried to retract or extend anything.

I'm not sure what to try next. Very frustrating.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leveler control.jpg
Views:	630
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	10360  
Old 05-21-2018, 02:49 PM   #6

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I assume you have tried just clearing the error message and starting over?
Old 05-21-2018, 03:08 PM   #7

Model: Windsport 29M
State: New Jersey
THOR #11681
Low voltage Error

I am having the same issue with my 2017 Windsport 29M. We also have cleared the errors with the reset of Retract, Enter and Auto Level, we have tried everything we have found on this forum. Our jacks were stuck in the down position, I had to release the brake and that made all the jacks come up. Now we are stuck in the up position w/low voltage. We have also checked all breakers, inverter, batteries, all fuses, etc. We are waiting to get into another facility in June. Good luck, if anyone finds out the reason(s) for this please let us know.
2014 Can Am
Bottman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:39 PM   #8

Model: Outlaw 29J
State: California
THOR #11710
same issue

Brand new Outlaw 29J has this issue. Low voltage error on every extend or retract. Sometimes it goes away after pressing enter. Sometimes it goes away after generator start. I have been able to use manual mode if automatic fails. Also my automatic is really effed up. It's much simpler to use manual. I believe the automatic leveler needs calibrating somehow.

I should mention that the error appears in ALL situations. Plugged in to shore power, generator running, etc.. Batteries fully charged. It is also intermittent. It occurs maybe 85% of the time when I attempt to level.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:53 PM   #9

THOR #4735
if you're getting a 'low voltage' message, or any message, then you have no problem with a fuse or power to the panel, but you have low voltage from your House batteries, which are what is used to drive the hydraulics for the leveling system. The system will generally give this fault if the Volts are too low, maybe 12.2 or lower, because it may not have enough power to 'extend' the leg, especially once the coach's weight is applied. When you are extracting the legs, though, it is only pulling them up, though the system doesn't know or care about the difference, it is just sensing the battery voltage.

If you don't like the 'low voltage' message, then you have to make sure your house batteries are full charged, or close to it, before you turn on the Leveling panel. If you are plugged into shore power, make sure that it's charging the House batteries(make sure that you charger is on). I get this 'low voltage' message fairly often, but don't pay it much attention, as when I go into 'Manual' mode, I can press any of the arrow buttons and they work the hydraulics levelers anyway. The message usually goes away after a minute or two of running the coach, also, as it usually provides charging to the House batteries, as well.

If the panel does not give any errors, but the legs will not move, then you have an issue with power to the Hydraulic system, which could be the 'buss fuse' in the battery bay has tripped. Happened to us before.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:17 PM   #10

THOR #5837
When I go through the menu on the leveler control panel, it shows a voltage of 13.6 - 14 volts. The RV's control panel shows the battery fully charged (4 lights lit). So it doesn't seem like the problem is actually low voltage. I get the same error plugged into shore power or with the generator running.

I tried pushing Enter and Retract at the same time for several seconds to reset the error, but it just comes right back. It happens in manual mode as well.

I found the "buss fuse" near the batteries. It was not tripped, but I tripped and reset it just in case. This did not fix the problem.

We are planning to leave for a Memorial Day trip in a few days, and right now I have one jack down and the other 3 retracted, so I can't move the RV.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:24 PM   #11

THOR #4735
time to call Thor's customer service...they'll be able to assist you.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:33 PM   #12

THOR #5837
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
time to call Thor's customer service...they'll be able to assist you.

Yeah, I called them, and he gave me a couple of things to try when I get home. He said to try jumpering the pump solenoid to find out if the pump is burned out.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:58 PM   #13

THOR #11681
Low voltage Error

Thor or LCI was not much help for us. We can't even do a manual override. I would like to know what the directions are that Thor gave to you jump the Cylenoid. would not have a problem trying that as well. When I did the Enter, Retract and auto level reset I held it down for 10 seconds - it worked once, has not worked again.

Again thank you to everyone for all the tips - I would love to leave this weekend!!
2014 Can Am
Old 05-21-2018, 08:06 PM   #14

THOR #5837
The directions I got were to disconnect the black/white wire, then jump the solenoid using a screwdriver. If the motor runs then it's okay.

According to the installation manual, the black/white wire is "solenoid extend/retract".
I found the manual here:
https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...ion_Manual.pdf
Old 05-21-2018, 08:55 PM   #15

State: New York
THOR #8264
I had a similar low voltage reading on my 2018 Windsport 29M. My local dealer found the problem to be the control panel. They changed out the panel and all is good.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:54 PM   #16

Model: 29M
State: South Carolina
THOR #8318
My 29M Windsport did something similar to this upon returning home from a camping trip last month. When I parked, and tried to auto level I had forgotten to set the parking brake., I got the low voltage alarm. I turned everything off, including the engine, waited about an hour, applied the parking brake, then started the engine, then turned the control panel on. It worked fine, it seems I just got it out of sequence.
Red_Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:29 PM   #17

THOR #5837
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
The directions I got were to disconnect the black/white wire, then jump the solenoid using a screwdriver. If the motor runs then it's okay.

According to the installation manual, the black/white wire is "solenoid extend/retract".
I found the manual here:
https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...ion_Manual.pdf

I tried this, and when I jumped the solenoid the motor didn't turn on. According to the customer support tech I spoke to, this indicates that the motor is bad. But then I applied a 12v source to the motor and it ran, so the motor is apparently okay.

I was also told to try pushing the forward diamond on the control panel 10 times, then the rear diamond 10 times, then Retract 3 times, but this did nothing.

I used the emergency procedure to retract the extended jack by spinning the pump motor with an electric drill, so now the RV is at least driveable, but the levelers are still not working. When I turn on the system, the control panel still indicates that jacks are down.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:44 PM   #18

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Arkansas
THOR #7538
I also have unexplained low voltage errors even after my batteries tested perfect under a load. While not fixing the problem, a Thor rep gave me a bandaid solution... granted it is pretty annoying. Always before attempting to level, trip the Buss flag intentionally, reset it & then (the part I had never heard before) cycle the disconnect switch off then back on (USE to STORE & back to USE) then wait for a minute for the electrical system to reset. It generally works but I would give my eye teeth to know what is actually causing the issue.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:32 AM   #19

Model: 29.3
State: Washington
THOR #6025
If THOR can't help then who can?? We had some low voltage issues along with the rams not retracting. Took it back to our dealer and they found a bad circuit board.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:24 PM   #20

THOR #11681
Low voltage Error

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. We took our rig in for service and some warranty work at Camping world. After two months we had no new information and was told they were waiting on Thor to respond. Our 1 year warranty was up on 3/23/18 - we dropped it off on 3/3. After 2 months we had no response to our request for status and was told we had to wait for Thor. We went and took our rig back (4/27). While we were at the dealer I wanted to check all around the rig. I attempted to put down the jacks; however they did not work. One of our complaints was the disconnect/use switch & the leveling jacks. They however told us there was no problem with the jacks. A tech tried to get them fixed, but after 2 hours we left (4/27) we got home and did our research; tried everything in the book. They never replaced the bad switch and we think this is causing the issue w/the jacks. We replaced all the batteries in the rig and that did not fix the issue so we took the batteries back. We also had them install a new theater seating couch - well on the way home it slid into the center of the rig; should have known better. We have an appointment with another dealer 6/14 (can't wait)- I did take out extra coverage so we will see if it gets covered. Oh and by the way, CW called this weekend to tell me that they need to order a disconnect switch and everything else is fixed and Thor denied all the warranty work. The guy had no clue that we took the rig of their lot; he was the same service person that helped us pick up the rig. What a business; one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.
Thanks again to everyone w/all of their comments, updates etc. I will keep you
2014 Can Am