Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2019, 12:28 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Rhode Island
THOR #11834
Awning & Wind

I have the Vegas 24.1 (2018), and the awning does not retract by itself. While camping recently I noticed that small gusts of wind caused the awning to lift and the arms to be a little noisy. I brought the awning in, just to be safe, but the wind was not that strong, actually a gentle breeze. Does anyone know at what point the awning should be brought in? How strong of a gust can the awning safely tolerate? I don’t want to risk damaging the awning by leaving it out, but on the other hand I don’t want to sit in the sun in 90 degree weather because there is a slight breeze.

Old 07-18-2019, 12:39 AM   #2

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Awning 24.1

Good question Bob. I always took mine in or didn't even think about putting it out if there were ANY gusts, no matter how light. A light breeze is fine but anything like a gust, I didn't risk it. I doubt there is one engineer at Thor or any current/past owners that have taken out their wind speed gauge and tested at which speed it starts to collapse. Light rain was okay to me as long as the awning was adjusted in a slant so that the rain rolled right off rather than pooling which will also cause a collapse.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:50 AM   #3

THOR #11834
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
Good question Bob. I always took mine in or didn't even think about putting it out if there were ANY gusts, no matter how light. A light breeze is fine but anything like a gust, I didn't risk it. I doubt there is one engineer at Thor or any current/past owners that have taken out their wind speed gauge and tested at which speed it starts to collapse. Light rain was okay to me as long as the awning was adjusted in a slant so that the rain rolled right off rather than pooling which will also cause a collapse.

Thanks for the reply. I have no idea how to adjust awning in a slant. The Thor video that demonstrates ow to make the adjustment has different arms (according type) than the one that came with my Vegas. I don’t think mine can be adjusted. You need a ladder to get to the arms.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:53 AM   #4

THOR #11834
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichRob View Post
Thanks for the reply. I have no idea how to adjust awning in a slant. The Thor video that demonstrates ow to make the adjustment has different arms (according type) than the one that came with my Vegas. I don’t think mine can be adjusted. You need a ladder to get to the arms.

Oops that was supposed to be accordion type.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:23 AM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Our awning is supposed to reel itself in; if the wind becomes too strong.
The problem? We always get nervous, and retract it before it feels that the wind is a problem.
We figure that wind gusts can twist them up quickly, so we always keep a lookout for them.
Oh! One more thing...
We don't leave it open in the rain. We'd rather not risk putting it away wet, and growing our own crop of Penecillin.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:43 AM   #6

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
It's at 14 or 16mph( I don't remember which, but I'm sure it's one of them). It must work on a certain tension being applied to the brake.
My 'snubbers' are wearing a hole through the cover where they to hit in the stowed position. Just a heads up.
Look at where the arms mount to the rail. You'll see a bolt that goes into a semicircular slot. That's the adjustment... Anywhere along that slot.

Our awning is out right now. (check out my new found ground clearance)
Dogtown lake in Arizona.
(it has a better data signal than I do at home)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0717191843.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	18990  
Old 07-18-2019, 03:32 AM   #7

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
You have the newer ones I am guessing that do not have the vertical supports attached to the wall like ours did. The positive side of those is that yours don't obstruct the passenger side view mirror.