Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2019, 12:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2
State: Colorado
THOR #15515
Axis 25.2 Questions ????

We just got out new to us 2016 Axis 25.2 home. Love it so far. I have a couple questions.

If I leave the battery disconnect in the store position will the batteries still charge when plugged into shore power and also while driving down the road?

If I leave the rig plugged in to shore power when the unit is stored will the on board charger shut off when the batteries are fully charged or does it keep charging? In other words does the charger act like a battery tender?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Kevin

Old 06-09-2019, 01:46 PM   #2

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrooney View Post
We just got out new to us 2016 Axis 25.2 home. Love it so far. I have a couple questions.

If I leave the battery disconnect in the store position will the batteries still charge when plugged into shore power and also while driving down the road?

If I leave the rig plugged in to shore power when the unit is stored will the on board charger shut off when the batteries are fully charged or does it keep charging? In other words does the charger act like a battery tender?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Kevin
Hi Kevin. Welcome to the family.

There are many posts & threads on this Forum regarding your question.
Learn to use the SEARCH function and you will find a wealth of info.

1) when in STORE mode, the batteries do not charge, even if plugged into 120v. There is no 12v power available from your house batteries when in the STORE mode .
Note: there is parasitic drain from your radio & CO2 detector. So, if kept in the STORE mode forever, your batteries will drain out. To eliminate battery drain, you need to install a manual disconnect at the house battery terminals
There’s really no reason to drive while in STORE mode. Your coach will drive, but nothing will work in the back.

2) when in USE mode, all 12v works properly. And when plugged into 120v your CONVERTER (on-board Charger) is designed to keep your batteries topped-off, like a battery tender. However, be aware that you need to check house battery water regularly or over-time the CONVERTER has been known to burn up your batteries
Old 06-09-2019, 01:55 PM   #3

THOR #15515
Thanks a lot for answering my questions. I will check out the search function. Thanks again
Old 06-09-2019, 01:59 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
A lot of people install a manual disconnect for their coach batteries to eliminate parasitic loads that will drain you battery, but there is a 100 amp breaker in the battery box of the Axis and Vegas (at least) that does the same thing if you trip it.

As far as the converter automatically going into maintenance mode (13.1v), the converter charger in the Axis is not the best quality and many have found that it does not work as it should. If you have one that does not work as it should, it could quickly “cook” and ruin your batteries if left plugged in. You can easily check it with a volt meter.

I second the search mode. Most if your questions have been “hashed over” repeatedly on this forum and there is a wealth of historical info here.

Also, download Ed’s manual for the Axis/Vegas, if you have not already.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:03 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
This is a link to Ed’s manual.

https://1drv.ms/w/s!AiYx6DLSeiiP6UNyy_VYGDO0BW6L
Old 06-10-2019, 11:27 AM   #6

THOR #15515