Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-12-2017, 08:33 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Axis Coach Batteries Replaced

FYI, I recently found that our coach batteries could not start the generator after being unplugged from shore power for a few hours. My RV service center said that the deep cycle batteries were only showing a surface charge and were the culprit. Just had the two 12 volt batts replaced with two 6 volt AGM deep cycle batteries that are supposed to have double the life. Batteries were mounted on their sides so they would fit under the step of the Axis. The batteries are the LifeLine brand and I will say that they are $$$$. Still ticks me off that the Axis will be two years old in January and needed to have all three batteries replaced....

Old 10-12-2017, 10:06 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Can you explain how two 6-Volt batteries can outperform a pair of their 12-Volt counterparts?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:17 PM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
6V batteries are typically more 'energy dense' than the 12v counterparts...
Quite common to be able to replace 2 12v parallel batteries with 2 6v series batteries and get increased capacity.

Having to replace originals under 2 years isn't fun... but unfortunately many have to do so... Batteries rarely seem to be properly cared for from point of manufacture to point of delivery - shortening their lives.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:28 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Thanks!
Old 10-12-2017, 11:09 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
... Just had the two 12 volt batts replaced with two 6 volt AGM deep cycle batteries that are supposed to have double the life. Batteries were mounted on their sides so they would fit under the step of the Axis. The batteries are the LifeLine brand and I will say that they are $$$$. ...
Did you have the float cycle on your inverter adjusted down? About the only downside I learned the hard way with AGMs is they can degrade significantly in a season if float voltage is too high e.g. voltages appropriate for FLA.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:27 AM   #6

THOR #3483
Thanks Greg.... I was told why by my service center but I would have had to look up that answer to reliably answer. My service guy also advised not to leave the coach hooked up to shore power for extended periods like I did before with the old batteries. By the way, the batteries that came on the Axis didn't even have a label on them... I understand a company not putting top of the line batteries on their coaches but this is ridiculous. I really do believe that there is some kind of "collusion" between the manufacturers and the RV repair industry...
Old 10-13-2017, 01:36 AM   #7
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Thanks Greg.... I was told why by my service center but I would have had to look up that answer to reliably answer. My service guy also advised not to leave the coach hooked up to shore power for extended periods like I did before with the old batteries. By the way, the batteries that came on the Axis didn't even have a label on them... I understand a company not putting top of the line batteries on their coaches but this is ridiculous. I really do believe that there is some kind of "collusion" between the manufacturers and the RV repair industry...
With a new set of $$$$ AGM batteries - I'd really have to trust my converter/charger to leave them plugged in full time... I don't see any settings/adjustments on mine (will have to peek again under the bed) to tell it if I switch chemistries from FLA to AGM (the stock WFCO unit)...
My external 12v charger certainly has different settings for FLA, AGM, Gell... as they do have different requirements.

I have a pair of 12V AGM used in parallel for non-RV use that does very well on the external charger set to AGM... and had a Optima AGM before that last many years on same charger... They can be finicky if not treated right.

Still using FLA in the RV. I never had the option to be plugged in full time in MI... I have the option now, but really haven't done so... I still plug in a few days before use to prep - and leave it unplugged when getting home.
I've had no issue with batteries running down in store - and see no need to risk burning them up on charge...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 01:44 AM   #8

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Can you explain how two 6-Volt batteries can outperform a pair of their 12-Volt counterparts?
Typically the six volt batteries are more available as deep cycle batteries, and since that is what golf carts use they are readily available. There are however, deep cycle 12 volt batteries available, but not that common on the market, typically have to deal with a battery store, and more often than not order them.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:51 AM   #9

THOR #3483
Of course.... this guy on YouTube explains it much better than I could ever do... but as Tim the Tool Man used to say... "MORE POWER".... The LifeLine AGM batteries are completely sealed so they mounted them on their sides with the terminals facing away from the steps.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:56 AM   #10

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Texas
THOR #8252
Do you have any info on the original batteries? My 2017 25.3 came with two house batteries but the only label on them simply reads D24DC-140. Is the "140" the amp hrs? If so is that for both combined?
Old 10-13-2017, 04:10 AM   #11

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Oregon
THOR #8628
I too had to replace all 3 batteries in my 2016 Axis when I bought it used. No labels on batteries/small label with date only. Had them tested and didn’t hold a charge-can’t begin to tell you how frustrating it was trying to figure out coach electrical issues when it was crap batteries I was dealing with.
Dirk
Old 10-13-2017, 05:10 AM   #12

THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasinDallas View Post
Do you have any info on the original batteries? My 2017 25.3 came with two house batteries but the only label on them simply reads D24DC-140. Is the "140" the amp hrs? If so is that for both combined?
No markings on the coach batteries.... that should tell us something right there?
Old 10-13-2017, 05:18 AM   #13

THOR #3483
Quote:
No markings on the coach batteries.... that should tell us something right there?
I am starting to think that these are the Harris batteries?
Old 10-13-2017, 12:07 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
The only thing on mine are the positive and negative markings...

...And I'm not even so sure about THEM!
Old 10-13-2017, 12:11 PM   #15

THOR #8252
Quote:
yes it should
Old 10-13-2017, 12:39 PM   #16

THOR #8252
Quote:
I am starting to think that these are the Harris batteries?
Thanks for the Harris info. I did a search and found this info from 2015 on a different forum (not Harris) Harris doesn’t list this but it may be discontinued.

Harris Battery Part #: 24D140
Volts: 12
BCI Group Size: 24DC
Weight lbs: 45.00
Weight kg: 20.41
Length inches: 10 1/4
Length mm: 260.00
Width inches: 6 13/16
Width mm: 173.00
Height inches: 8 7/8
Height mm: 225.00
Cranking Amps @ 32°F 0°C: 685
Cold Cranking Amps @ 0°F -18°C: 550
Reserve Capacity @ 25 Amps: 140 mins
Core Unit: 1.00

I also found a “Duracell Ultra Battery Harris 24D140 Replacement” on batteriesplus.com
This states that is “Designed for use in sump pumps, trolling motors, fish finders and more”
I will upgrade when they die which may not be long from what I’m reading.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:16 PM   #17

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Think about or learn what kills lead acid batteries.
- It only takes one overly harsh duty cycle to start the downhill slide.
- Letting cells get low (check levels regularly)
If low cells are observed on your "quarterly" inspection it indicates overcharge and if this isn't adjusted/corrected, it will likely cause AGMs a much shorter life too as they require an even lower float voltage.

Don't forget that the batteries will get whatever charge voltage your alternator puts out and this can be a factor too, especially with long driving distances.

Battery life is more closely correlated to how it is treated than who made it or what label it does or doesn't have.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:33 PM   #18

Model: Siesta Sprinter 24SV
State: Arkansas
THOR #6932
We bought our new motorhome 6 months ago. Both house batteries are now dead, so we've been looking into possible warranty and best options for replacement. I called Thor yesterday and was told the batteries would come under the manufacturer's warranty.

The batteries have no brand listed. They have a sticker that says 27dc-160. Date sticker on the side 10/16

So, who is the manufacturer? Harris? I was told the no-name batteries on our coach were from WorldWide Battery Co. Email for warranty info: rvbatterywarranty@worldwidebattery.com

Looks to me that WorldWide isn't a manufacturer, just distributor. If a warranty is approved, they pay $60 per battery. 13 months (from date sticker). When you send an email to that address, they send you info on filing a claim. They tell you everything is done by email, no phone contact info.

Not optimistic about any warranty payment, but hoping for better results from future batteries. Still researching.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:18 PM   #19

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4366
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
6V batteries are typically more 'energy dense' than the 12v counterparts...
Quite common to be able to replace 2 12v parallel batteries with 2 6v series batteries and get increased capacity.

Having to replace originals under 2 years isn't fun... but unfortunately many have to do so... Batteries rarely seem to be properly cared for from point of manufacture to point of delivery - shortening their lives.
This is not quite true; depends on what you are comparing. For quality batteries like Trojans the difference between 6 or 12 volt is about 10 or 15 aH or about 5 % at the 20 hour rate.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:50 PM   #20

THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
This is not quite true; depends on what you are comparing. For quality batteries like Trojans the difference between 6 or 12 volt is about 10 or 15 aH or about 5 % at the 20 hour rate.
GPL-4CT - Lifeline Batteries How do the specs on this one compare?