Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2021, 07:19 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
I was scheduled to pick up a new 2021 Axis 24.1 from a dealer in Albany, NY on Tuesday. I really, really wanted the absorption fridge because we only dry camp in shady spots and a DC compressor fridge will use 50-75 amp hours daily and run down a pair of Group 27 batteries in one day.

So I called the dealer to see what our unit actually has. He didn't know so went out in the yard and looked and it has the 12V compressor fridge. S*&%. He looked at his inventory sheet and saw that they recently got in an Axis 24.1 for stock that has an absorption (gas) fridge and only a few hundred dollars in extras for a 100 watt solar panel. Everything else was essentially the same.

So the dealer agreed to absorb the solar panel optional cost and sell this one to me for the same price.

I have to hand it to the dealer for going this extra step. I have to say Thor is deceitful for not identifying which fridge is installed. Last year's brochure (October when I ordered it) says explicitly gas and electric fridge. Today's brochure punts and says only it has a two door fridge. This lets them swing both ways. My new MSRP (the build document) only says it has a two door fridge, but I got pictures that show top and bottom vents which are installed on absorption fridges.

There you have it. A story of deceit on the part of Thor but the dealer made good on it. Makes me feel good about the dealer I am buying from. Thor, not so much.

Thanks for the last half dozen postings above. It saved what could have been a bad situation.

David

I’m sure last years brochure also said Thor reserves the right to make changes to the product at any time. Not sure your anger at Thor for “deception” is justified so much as frustration with the changes. With the increasing popularity of residential refrigerators I’d guess the prevailing opinion of the change would be positive. That said, I’m with you - I would not want a residential fridge in an RV unless maybe it was a 45ft DP and I was full time in it.

Old 01-17-2021, 07:27 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
In fairness to Thor, I think language is vague so they can transition from absorption to compressor refrigerators, knowing that for a time both types of units will be at dealers side by side. Otherwise, buyers preferring 12V compressor “residential-type” refrigerators would be pissed if sold an absorption fridge thinking they were getting the latest in brochure. I expect before too long that features will be updated. I suppose that starting with 2022 model year, they may all be 12V compressor. Specs and features should reflect upgrade at that point.

And for what it’s worth, I doubt switching to 12V compressor fridge saves much; if anything, it may cost more. Initially they were much more expensive, but now with competition from various brands, cost has come down significantly. The unit in picture looks like a Norcold Polar 8 or 10 cubic foot unit to me, which aren’t cheap. Would like to see confirmation from KAJ or others who have one.
Old 01-18-2021, 12:25 AM   #23

State: Colorado
THOR #21400
2021 model price is about $90K, only $10K - $20K difference from mid-end full size 35' gas RV. Expect its price $75K
Old 01-19-2021, 01:35 PM   #24
KAJ

State: Florida
THOR #21856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
To me that sounds great since I’ve been anticipating more and more motorhomes to switch to compressor refrigerators.

Can you post model and size? And also current or Watt rating that should be displayed inside fridge. This is great news to me although I know others will feel the very opposite.
We pick it up this weekend. I’ll provide the info as soon as I get it.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:19 PM   #25

THOR #20624
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello-RV View Post
Thanks. 2021 model has a big pass-through storage.

The windshield is curved and exposed to sun, is there anything to block the sun while driving on road?
We had clear ceramic tint applied to the windshield and it has significantly reduced the heat coming thru from the sun.

Clear tint sounds like an oxymoron.

It was expensive, but required a skilled installer to trim it perfectly at the edge of the frit. (Those black dots at the top of the windshield.)

We had the same clear tint applied to the forward fixed portion of the side sliding windows and had the sliding portion tinted dark to match the top section.

Those changes, along with installing sound deadening mat to the doghouse and other areas above the engine, have made the cab area much more comfortable when driving in the southwest US.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:05 PM   #26

State: Missouri
THOR #19360
Talking Levelling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
and some have forgone them completely and live happily without them.

I'm sure if I had them I would be very satisfied and make posts like above.

At this point in time, however, I'm perfectly happy with my Level Mate Pro and Lynx leveler solution.
I have 2 packs of the orange leveler blocks. As long as you have someone outside to let you know when to stop when driving up on them they work just fine and cost me about $30.00

And isn't it kind of hard to drive when the shades are all the way down?
alajeu
Old 01-24-2021, 12:59 AM   #27

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
How much is the clear Tint?
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:57 PM   #28

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAJ View Post
We pick it up this weekend. I’ll provide the info as soon as I get it.

KAJ, were you able to pick up your new motorhome? If so, any information on new fridge you can share? A picture of the name tag would be great.
Old 01-25-2021, 09:13 PM   #29

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibstay View Post
We had clear ceramic tint applied to the windshield and it has significantly reduced the heat coming thru from the sun.

Clear tint sounds like an oxymoron.

It was expensive, but required a skilled installer to trim it perfectly at the edge of the frit. (Those black dots at the top of the windshield.)

We had the same clear tint applied to the forward fixed portion of the side sliding windows and had the sliding portion tinted dark to match the top section.

Those changes, along with installing sound deadening mat to the doghouse and other areas above the engine, have made the cab area much more comfortable when driving in the southwest US.
I did the same thing to my Axis, Cermic tint on ALL windows (even the Factory tinted windows). Made a huge differnces IMO but when parked you still need to use the front window shade. In the summer it will still get hot on the cockpit are ...even with the AC full blast.

But is must better than Factory.

Plus it will keep your factory curtains / pull down shades like new for lunch longer since it cuts out like 95% of UV rays.

Less squinting while going down the road and you wont get sunburnt on long trips.

It cost me $1000 for the entire RV (Ever single window). But I think the front windshield was $350 by its self.

Also insulate the fire wall and dog house areas.... huge differnce with heat and englne sound.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 04:56 PM   #30
KAJ

THOR #21856
Quote:
KAJ, were you able to pick up your new motorhome? If so, any information on new fridge you can share? A picture of the name tag would be great.
I did pick it up. It is a Norcold N8DCSSR. It is 8 cubic feet. 12V DC. Gross volume 231L, freezer volume 72L.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E1F73BFF-8BE1-45E0-B919-DE164706D7CD.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	28248  
Old 01-26-2021, 04:58 PM   #31
KAJ

THOR #21856
Here are the other details for the refrigerator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	591F6838-76F6-4496-A92B-71F020D958BB.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	28249  
Old 01-26-2021, 05:34 PM   #32
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
I did the same thing to my Axis, Cermic tint on ALL windows. Made a huge difference IMO but when parked you still need to use the front window shade. In the summer it will still get hot on the cockpit are ...even with the AC full blast.
But is must better than Factory.
Plus it will keep your factory curtains / pull down shades like new for lunch longer since it cuts out like 95% of UV rays.
...It cost me $1000 for the entire RV (Ever single window). But I think the front windshield was $350 by its self.
What sort of shops can apply that coating?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 07:15 PM   #33

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAJ View Post
Here are the other details for the refrigerator.

Thank you. It’s much appreciated.

I’m assuming all Axis/Vegas have two batteries as standard. Do you know if Thor upgraded their size/capacity along with electric compressor refrigerator?

I think they were group 27 before, but not sure.
Old 01-26-2021, 08:18 PM   #34

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:

I’m assuming all Axis/Vegas have two batteries as standard. Do you know if Thor upgraded their size/capacity along with electric compressor refrigerator?

My 2021 Axis with the absorption fridge I just picked up has two Group 27s. I suspect the compressor fridge model has the same.

FWIW at a 6 amp draw which in my experience on many boats with compressor fridges, will result in 72 amp hours each day (50% duty cycle). Those batteries will be 50% discharged after one day and you don't want to go any lower for best life.

For dry camping, having a compressor fridge means upgrading the batteries to lithium, upgrading the converter to a higher output lithium compatible one, replacing your BIM with a lithium compatible one, adding 400 watts of solar panels or running your generator a couple of hours each day.

David
Old 01-26-2021, 10:21 PM   #35

THOR #2121
Quote:
My 2021 Axis with the absorption fridge I just picked up has two Group 27s. I suspect the compressor fridge model has the same.

FWIW at a 6 amp draw which in my experience on many boats with compressor fridges, will result in 72 amp hours each day (50% duty cycle). Those batteries will be 50% discharged after one day and you don't want to go any lower for best life.

For dry camping, having a compressor fridge means upgrading the batteries to lithium, upgrading the converter to a higher output lithium compatible one, replacing your BIM with a lithium compatible one, adding 400 watts of solar panels or running your generator a couple of hours each day.

David
I don’t ever want to own another absorption fridge, in large part because a compressor unit fits our needs better.

We occasionally boondock, but don’t see ourselves dry camping on a regular basis; at least not for extended periods. Looking back at previous 20 years, we are usually driving during day, or at campground with shore power. There are occasional National Parks without electricity, but generator or engine charging will take care of those few days. We would have little need to upgrade the entire system.

My biggest concern is overnighting without power on long trips, but at 6 Amps (even if 100% duty cycle) it shouldn’t be a problem.

It would be nice if Thor offered an upgrade to at least dual 31s. Yeah, higher-capacity lithium and maybe solar would be good, but I find cost of upgrading most things when new to be cost inefficient. If needed, Thor should do it as an option at a lower cost, otherwise we end up removing new batteries, converter, etc. and essentially scrapping them.
Old 01-26-2021, 11:06 PM   #36

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
I don’t ever want to own another absorption fridge, in large part because a compressor unit fits our needs better.

We occasionally boondock, but don’t see ourselves dry camping on a regular basis; at least not for extended periods. Looking back at previous 20 years, we are usually driving during day, or at campground with shore power. There are occasional National Parks without electricity, but generator or engine charging will take care of those few days. We would have little need to upgrade the entire system.

My biggest concern is overnighting without power on long trips, but at 6 Amps (even if 100% duty cycle) it shouldn’t be a problem.

It would be nice if Thor offered an upgrade to at least dual 31s. Yeah, higher-capacity lithium and maybe solar would be good, but I find cost of upgrading most things when new to be cost inefficient. If needed, Thor should do it as an option at a lower cost, otherwise we end up removing new batteries, converter, etc. and essentially scrapping them.
I owned a large Engel chest fridge/freezer on a sailboat I once owned
It used very little power.
I could hear that tiny compressor running.

So I’m now open to the concept in an RV.
We mostly BoonDock in our RV, but in my boat I was BoonDocking with only one 12v house battery.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:02 AM   #37

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Quote:

David
You do not have to go thru all of that just to dry camp. The vast majority of our camping is dry camping and we have a residential fridge. We purchased a Yamaha 2000 inverter generator for around $900 , it will run for about 12hours on a gallon of gas. and the generator is quiet.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:53 AM   #38
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:

David
Why? Not required for dry camping. Lead Acid or AGM will work just fine unless you just have extra money to throw away. There are more people who have been dry camping on LA or AGM than lithium.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 02:10 AM   #39
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Yeah... lot's more folks boondock on LA or GM batteries...

... Because that is the old, established technology.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:36 AM   #40
KAJ

THOR #21856
Quote:

Not sure what type of batteries they are. We just left the storage unit. I’ll check when I go back later in the week or this weekend.