Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2021, 08:35 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #21400
Axis/Vegas 24.1 so cute, refrigerator electric or propane?

Axis/Vegas 24.1 so cute:

1. refrigerator is electric or propane? is it 6 cu?
2. It has a nice pass through outside storage. Does it have 110V outlet inside? can you put another refrigerator in the outside storage if needed?
3. Does it have inverter?

Old 01-16-2021, 08:37 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello-RV View Post
Axis/Vegas 24.1 so cute:

2. It has a nice pass through outside storage. Does it have 110V outlet inside? can you put another refrigerator in the outside storage if needed?
The pictures on Thor's website still show the evaporator vent so I'm guessing its the same old 120V/propane fridge and thus:
1. Both
2. What you see in pics isn't a pass-through: Its the vent on the back (same as any RV fridge)
3. Nope
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 09:52 PM   #3

THOR #21400
Thanks. 2021 model has a big pass-through storage.

The windshield is curved and exposed to sun, is there anything to block the sun while driving on road?
Old 01-16-2021, 09:55 PM   #4

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Axis/Vegas 24.1 so cute:

1) Fridge is standard RV fridge. Propane or 110 volt electric. 6 cuft
For those that have added a 1000 watt+ integrated inverter to the outlet line (for TVs and Fridge), you can run the fridge off the inverter while traveling w/chassis engine running. It provides safety (vs propane), while saving on propane costs.

2) The rear storage compartment runs side to side for complete pass-thru. The front compartment also has pass-thru, albeit narrower and less cubic ft.
No 110 volt on inside, although it would be an ez mod to run a line.
There’s probably enough room for a small fridge/freezer to place in outside rear compartment. It’s only money!

3) although it does not have an inverter as standard or optional...several (and many more) on this Forum have followed the AIMs Inverter mod found on this site. Use the SEARCH function for more detailed info.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:57 PM   #5

THOR #13362
Quote:

The windshield is curved and exposed to sun, is there anything to block the sun while driving on road?
The inside electric night shade travels as far as half-way down the front window while engine is running.
Seems to do the trick

When parked for camping, you can use the night shade for privacy.
Some on this site have purchased or fabricated an exterior sun shield to block the exterior heat.
Old 01-16-2021, 10:02 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
We programmed the night shade to move up or down any length while driving
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:08 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:

Sorry, all 24.1's have pass through storage, just your wording implied that there was a pass through at the refer.

The 2021 has an additional hatch to access the pass through from the rear (our 2014 24.1 doesn't have that rear hatch).
Old 01-16-2021, 10:46 PM   #8

THOR #13362
P.S. you didn’t ask abt hydraulic levelers.

IMHO...they are a necessity.
Like crunchy peanut butter, once you try it you’ll never go back.

I have HWH, but many Vegas/Axis owners on this site have opted to install the BigFoot Brand.
Old 01-16-2021, 10:49 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
P.S. you didn’t ask abt hydraulic levelers.

IMHO...they are a necessity.
Like crunchy peanut butter, once you try it you’ll never go back.

I have HWH, but many Vegas/Axis owners on this site have opted to install the BigFoot Brand.
and some have forgone them completely and live happily without them.

I'm sure if I had them I would be very satisfied and make posts like above.

At this point in time, however, I'm perfectly happy with my Level Mate Pro and Lynx leveler solution.
Old 01-16-2021, 11:07 PM   #10

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I don't think you will be able to fit another RV fridge in the back pass through compartment. You may be able to fit an Engel DC compressor ice chest in there though. Engels are very efficient and shouldn't use power like a big compressor fridge would and come in several sizes. Easy enough to hookup DC to the led lamp fixture inside the compartment to power an Engel.

David
Old 01-17-2021, 05:53 AM   #11

THOR #21400
Thanks all.
24.1 is small and nice, you can make huge kind bed, does not need toad behind, can drive to anywhere. The only drawback I see is its cargo carry capacity, only about 1500 lbs.

Does it need leveler? It is like a SUV.
Old 01-17-2021, 01:39 PM   #12
KAJ

State: Florida
THOR #21856
Refrigerator 2021 Vegas 24.1

On my brand new Vegas, the refrigerator is 12v DC only. Not thrilled with that as I would have preferred 2-way. It’s a very nice unit, however. Make sure you look at the spec sheet. The demo unit we toured had the 2-way. The unit that was delivered had the electric only. We were given the option to swap it out, but as I said, it’s nice so we’ll keep it. We rarely boondock and did opt for solar.
Old 01-17-2021, 02:10 PM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Thanks all.
24.1 is small and nice, you can make huge kind bed, does not need toad behind, can drive to anywhere. The only drawback I see is its cargo carry capacity, only about 1500 lbs.

Does it need leveler? It is like a SUV.
Its a bit bigger than an SUV unless you're talking Suburban

Ours is on the 350 chassis and we've had no issues with the CCC. Even after a few years and mods its still under weight.

We've also found that it tows a car just fine (I'd rather leave the RV and take something smaller which has been very useful in the tighter nit urban areas).
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-07-13 10.08.11 (2).jpg
Views:	99
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	28085
Old 01-17-2021, 02:10 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
[QUOTE=hello-RV;272860
Does it need leveler? It is like a SUV.[/QUOTE]
Levelers are about as handy as a pocket in a shirt.
Get them...
Old 01-17-2021, 02:58 PM   #15

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAJ View Post
On my brand new Vegas, the refrigerator is 12v DC only. Not thrilled with that as I would have preferred 2-way. It’s a very nice unit, however. Make sure you look at the spec sheet. The demo unit we toured had the 2-way. The unit that was delivered had the electric only. We were given the option to swap it out, but as I said, it’s nice so we’ll keep it. We rarely boondock and did opt for solar.

To me that sounds great since I’ve been anticipating more and more motorhomes to switch to compressor refrigerators. That they use 12V direct current so it doesn’t need an inverter sounds even better. Granted, much depends on refrigerator model and quality.

In many cases manufacturers can fit a +/- 10 cubic foot fridge where a 6~8 propane went before. That’s an added plus. It’s likely lighter too.

Can you post model and size? And also current or Watt rating that should be displayed inside fridge. This is great news to me although I know others will feel the very opposite.
Old 01-17-2021, 03:44 PM   #16

State: Texas
THOR #2121
It appears 12V fridge is listed as standard equipment on latest 2021 Axis 24.1 floorplan window sticker. Picture of fridge inside also appears like they are highlighting an upgrade.

Picture of outside of this 24.1 is also missing vent, so definitely not propane.

Physical size of fridge seems the same, but interior volume should be larger. I can’t find that information, but expect close to 10 cubic feet should be possible.

I like this upgrade.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	71B3BE69-0837-4266-A267-74C7E3A6B519.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	28086   Click image for larger version

Name:	804F631B-9F1C-46A1-982C-DABBF0C05530.jpeg
Views:	131
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	28087  

Name:	62DB4992-4D0E-456B-A4D6-01A52830D491.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	28088  
Old 01-17-2021, 05:56 PM   #17

THOR #20289
I was scheduled to pick up a new 2021 Axis 24.1 from a dealer in Albany, NY on Tuesday. I really, really wanted the absorption fridge because we only dry camp in shady spots and a DC compressor fridge will use 50-75 amp hours daily and run down a pair of Group 27 batteries in one day.

So I called the dealer to see what our unit actually has. He didn't know so went out in the yard and looked and it has the 12V compressor fridge. S*&%. He looked at his inventory sheet and saw that they recently got in an Axis 24.1 for stock that has an absorption (gas) fridge and only a few hundred dollars in extras for a 100 watt solar panel. Everything else was essentially the same.

So the dealer agreed to absorb the solar panel optional cost and sell this one to me for the same price.

I have to hand it to the dealer for going this extra step. I have to say Thor is deceitful for not identifying which fridge is installed. Last year's brochure (October when I ordered it) says explicitly gas and electric fridge. Today's brochure punts and says only it has a two door fridge. This lets them swing both ways. My new MSRP (the build document) only says it has a two door fridge, but I got pictures that show top and bottom vents which are installed on absorption fridges.

There you have it. A story of deceit on the part of Thor but the dealer made good on it. Makes me feel good about the dealer I am buying from. Thor, not so much.

Thanks for the last half dozen postings above. It saved what could have been a bad situation.

David
Old 01-17-2021, 06:24 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Is this from that BIG Dealership that's right along the Thruway?
Glad he found you the rig that you really wanted!
Old 01-17-2021, 06:51 PM   #19

THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Is this from that BIG Dealership that's right along the Thruway?
Glad he found you the rig that you really wanted!
Yes. They gave me a good price and Tony, the salesman has been real good to work with. They certainly played no part in this screwup, only Thor with their deceitful brochures.

I know most prefer a DC compressor fridge and one is probably cheaper for Thor to install- no outside vents. But for shady dry camping, it is not so good.

Like I told the salesman, if I had to live with the compressor fridge model, I would have to spend $2,000 on lithium batteries, a new higher output LFP converter and a new BIM to limit alternator current. And even then I would probably be running the generator an hour or so each day to keep the batteries topped up.

David
Old 01-17-2021, 07:06 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
We went all the way up to Amsterdam to buy ours.
I also like the idea of the small compressor 'fridge... but not the power usage.