Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-18-2015, 03:21 PM   #1
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Axis/Vegas 24.1 waste diagram

Since I was working on the DIY Capacitive blank tank level sensor (see thread here: DIY Capacitive tank sensor) I figured I would ask Thor for my 24.1's black tank diagram.

Sure enough they delivered (see attached). Turns out my 24.1 does have a single vent on the roof which is plumbed to both tanks, but it also has cheater vents (or "Automatic Vent Tube Cap" as its called in the diagram) at each sink. Interesting.

Also clearly visible on the diagram is that the lavatory sink is plumbed to the black tank. Since this is on the diagram its clear that this arrangement is intentional (and thus not something you could go back to the dealer claiming as a warranty item "they plumbed my bathroom sink wrong!"). Interesting in that its plumbed to the vent and not directly to the tank... Another thought: since it runs right next to the shower drain you could make a mod and just run the sink to the shower pipe and plug the black run.

Makes me wonder if someone would simply ask Thor for "All the diagrams on the coach?" would they just send out a complete PDF of all the available diagrams?? (instead of this piecemeal thing we've been doing)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Axis241DrainageLayout.pdf (63.4 KB, 857 views)

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:36 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
THOR #531
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Makes me wonder if someone would simply ask Thor for "All the diagrams on the coach?" would they just send out a complete PDF of all the available diagrams?? (instead of this piecemeal thing we've been doing)
That would be nice, but I doubt it will happen.

Better yet, put them all into one binder and call it a manual - what a novel idea.

There is a precedence for that... My last boat - a Carver 325 - had just such that kind of information in the manual. It had similar drawings for the fuel, plumbing, water, electrical, and other systems, as well as bona-fide electrical schematics, structural components, and even illustrated parts breakdown for select components, like the rudder assembly, propeller shafts, and so on.

Other manufacturers could learn from that example.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:18 PM   #3

State: Alabama
THOR #1478
Wow Jamie, thank you for this info, this explains an encounter I experience on a camping trip last year. My wife was using the bathroom sink and the water would not drain. I notice the black water tank was full but I did not under stand why the sing would not drain. We had not connected to the sewer hose because we were going to change to a better site by the ocean in two days. Once I drain the black tank, the sink drained as well. Your diagram confirms my suspicions. I do not understand why a sink would be plumed to the black tank, this make know sense to me.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:52 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by timp410 View Post
Wow Jamie, thank you for this info, this explains an encounter I experience on a camping trip last year. My wife was using the bathroom sink and the water would not drain. I notice the black water tank was full but I did not under stand why the sing would not drain. We had not connected to the sewer hose because we were going to change to a better site by the ocean in two days. Once I drain the black tank, the sink drained as well. Your diagram confirms my suspicions. I do not understand why a sink would be plumed to the black tank, this make know sense to me.
In a way it does make some sense. The two items having the least water consumption are plumbed into one tank thereby giving you additional capacity in the second for shower and kitchen sink.

The problem is that they didn't tell you about the plumbing situation.

In my coach the logic for the plumbing appears to be everything on the passengers side (shower OD kitchen, washer hookup) in one gray tank, the kitchen sink and lavatory sink in the second gray tank, and the toilet alone in the black tank. This was confirmed when I got the drainage diagrams for the 37ND from Thor last week.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:50 PM   #5

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I actually like the my lav is plumbed to black. It helps add water to disperse solids, and soap which I'd like to think helps to keep the level probes a bit cleaner....

and as dstankof suggests it helps give more room for shower grey water, which in mine is my limiting capacity.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:13 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
Of course it also gives you a "poor man's" fresh water rinse when you dump your black tank if you turn on the lavatory faucet as you are dumping.

I am sure though, they did it as it was the cheapest way out rather than providing some intrinsic benefit to the RV owner.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:20 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z
I am sure though, they did it as it was the cheapest way out rather than providing some intrinsic benefit to the RV owner.
In this one instance I can't see it as being cheaper: There is a whole section where they double up the PVC on the diagram running both the lav sink and shower drains together until one goes to black and the other goes to grey. Seems to me they could have eliminated some PVC by running them both to the grey tank (and thus saved some $$--not much though, maybe $2 LOL).
Old 03-18-2015, 07:08 PM   #8

State: Alabama
THOR #1478
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
In a way it does make some sense. The two items having the least water consumption are plumbed into one tank thereby giving you additional capacity in the second for shower and kitchen sink.

The problem is that they didn't tell you about the plumbing situation.

In my coach the logic for the plumbing appears to be everything on the passengers side (shower OD kitchen, washer hookup) in one gray tank, the kitchen sink and lavatory sink in the second gray tank, and the toilet alone in the black tank. This was confirmed when I got the drainage diagrams for the 37ND from Thor last week.
Yes, not knowing is the biggest problem. I was always lead to believe that the black tank was only used for the toilet. Not knowing this lead me to believe that the sink was clogged.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:43 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
Quote:
Seems to me they could have eliminated some PVC by running them both to the grey tank (and thus saved some $$--not much though, maybe $2 LOL).
I am sure they have it factored down to the penny; PVC pipe, vs. fittings, vs. vent holes through the roof and the labor to install each piece, and probably as well - the amount of glue they need.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:40 AM   #10

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #1466
Thanks, guys for the various pdf schematics you obtained from Thor. These diagrams should have been included in the 'owners manuals' in the manual grab-bag. They don't even give these to the dealer. When we picked up our Vegas, the tech had no idea how any of the systems were plumbed, wired, or how to operate Vegas-specific components. He said ours was the first Vegas he had seen. You would think that Thor would educate the warranty repair people about their products.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:51 PM   #11

State: Maryland
THOR #1961
The lack of a specific manual for the Axix (and maybe the Vegas) lines is what I hate most about the vehicle. The Owner's Manual supplied by Thor tries to cover the Class B+, Class C and Class A Gas and as a result does nothing well. They couldn't even get the index at the back of the book correct. Are YouTube videos that cover the mechanical and electrical systems?
End of rant!
Old 05-11-2015, 10:04 PM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingVehicle
Are YouTube videos that cover the mechanical and electrical systems?
Nope, unless you want to make some.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:07 PM   #13

THOR #1961
Thanks, I'll stop searching.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:37 AM   #14

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #1434
Jamie:

I asked Thor CS for the electrical and waste diagram on my coach and they sent me three diagrams. The third one was the plumbing diagram. Angie Cox commented these were all the prints they had available.

Tom
Old 05-12-2015, 01:15 AM   #15

THOR #1961
Can you e-mail them on to me? Thanks
Old 05-12-2015, 02:41 AM   #16

THOR #1434
Thor Diagrams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingVehicle View Post
Can you e-mail them on to me? Thanks
See if you can open this zip file
Attached Files
File Type: zip FW ThorMotorCoachcom Owner Inquiry - Thomas Spencer.zip (614.1 KB, 366 views)
Old 05-12-2015, 11:39 AM   #17
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Interesting Tomspen: Your wiring diagram is newer than the one Thor sent me. It shows the generator in the proper position (I think the diagram I have is for the prototype).

Does your unit have a 2nd radio and some USB chargers in the rear? (Like shown on the diagram)
Old 05-12-2015, 12:25 PM   #18

THOR #1961
Thank you Thomsen. These are great help to me.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:46 PM   #19

THOR #1434
Thor Diagrams

Quote:
Interesting Tomspen: Your wiring diagram is newer than the one Thor sent me. It shows the generator in the proper position (I think the diagram I have is for the prototype).

Does your unit have a 2nd radio and some USB chargers in the rear? (Like shown on the diagram)
Jamie:

No my unit does not have a 2nd radio or rear USB charges. Thor probably just sent me the first thing they grabbed. I really did not look at the electrical diagram. I was interested in the plumbing of the lavatory sink and I think you cleared that question up quite nicely.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:06 PM   #20
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomspen View Post
Jamie:

No my unit does not have a 2nd radio or rear USB charges. Thor probably just sent me the first thing they grabbed. I really did not look at the electrical diagram. I was interested in the plumbing of the lavatory sink and I think you cleared that question up quite nicely.
No sure about the Axis, but with the Challenger schematics the legend in the lower right identifies the specific model to which the schematic applies. For instance the waste water schematics for my Challenger specify they are for the 37ND only. The other Challenger models have their own schematics based on configuration such as outdoor kitchen, bath and a half, kitchen island, etc... which changes the plumbing and wiring layout.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote