Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2022, 04:16 PM   #41
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Not only is the rear window a "is it there or isn't it" feature, apparently the type of fridge is as well.

In the pictures above for the one in Tucson there is no venting for the Refer indicating a compressor fridge. Here is a Vegas in Maryland that has venting for the fridge...absorption fridge on this guy:
https://www.leosrv.com/product/new-2...w-website-link

The specs also indicate a 6-gal water heater...going back to a tank water heater I see.

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 08:52 PM   #42

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Not only is the rear window a "is it there or isn't it" feature, apparently the type of fridge is as well.

In the pictures above for the one in Tucson there is no venting for the Refer indicating a compressor fridge. Here is a Vegas in Maryland that has venting for the fridge...absorption fridge on this guy:
https://www.leosrv.com/product/new-2...w-website-link

The specs also indicate a 6-gal water heater...going back to a tank water heater I see.

Great observation.

I like that specs do not commit either way on fridge, leaving either propane or compressor a possibility for now.

For our kind of travel (more touring than stationary camping) a compressor refrigerator makes a lot of sense, particularly since we overnight in campgrounds most of the time. Having said that, campers who boondock on a regular basis, particularly for multiple nights in one site/location, have expressed dissatisfaction with compressor refrigeration using too much of their battery capacity.

Compressor refrigerators work much better on latest motorhomes with high-capacity electrical systems, and Axis/Vegas doesn’t offer that yet. Maybe someday.

With 600 Ah lithium, second dedicated alternator, lots of solar, etc. powering an efficient compressor fridge shouldn’t be a big deal, but with only two regular flooded batteries and slow charging, I can see that being a problem for many boondockers, forcing them into significant generator run time (unless they add lots of solar and park in sun). There isn’t much middle ground to make compressor fridge work easily with such limited battery capacity.

6-gallon water heater would be my preference over tankless. I don’t foresee taking very long showers in an RV. Boondocking we would run out of water or grey capacity, and at campgrounds we normally use their bathrooms. That could change in future, but think 6 gallons is plenty for us even then.
Old 02-09-2022, 10:12 PM   #43
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Thor is premiering a video about the 24.4 today @ 6pm Eastern:
Old 02-09-2022, 11:06 PM   #44
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Thor is premiering a video about the 24.4 today @ 6pm Eastern:
Ok that was pretty lame. Not much more than the website--much less than their other lengthy videos.
Old 02-09-2022, 11:57 PM   #45

THOR #2121
Quote:
Ok that was pretty lame. Not much more than the website--much less than their other lengthy videos.

Jamie, video shows your bathroom window — that’s something.

Shows tank capacities, but they didn’t mention or show outside storage at all that I could see. I’m still thinking outside storage in specs must be wrong.

Nice looking unit that is spacious on inside for its size.
Old 02-10-2022, 02:20 AM   #46

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
nice rig thx for link
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 11:17 PM   #47
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Here is a longer walkthrough non-Thor (and he is a bit enthusiastic ! LOL):

Old 04-25-2022, 12:34 AM   #48

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Thx for sharing 157k!
1 tv
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 02:31 PM   #49

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
Refrige is propane or electric. That is good.
Old 04-25-2022, 04:04 PM   #50

THOR #2121
Quote:
Here is a longer walkthrough non-Thor (and he is a bit enthusiastic ! LOL):

The one they reviewed has no bathroom window and no rear ladder. I guess they have built quite a few variations.

Appearance of the cleaner rear cap without window or ladder looks much better to me, though functionally I like windows on all sides, including rear.

Their video gives a good look at interior space with slide retracted. Getting to bathroom may be difficult for large individuals, particularly if with limited mobility.

OCCC impressive due to E-450.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C59B20F3-03D0-4694-94EE-4D1FEC675DD4.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	37110   Click image for larger version

Name:	372E6EEF-69F1-4715-9337-483804349FD2.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	37111  

Old 05-05-2022, 05:11 PM   #51
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Well if anyone is curious we did end up picking up one of these guys. Put a deposit down on it back in January and it finally showed up last Friday. Took a look at it that day then picked it up this past Tuesday.

The ride difference between dropping off our 2014 24.1 and driving home the 2022 24.4 is amazing (not sure that was 8 years of improvements, just brand new vs 8 years old, or E350 vs E450--likely some combination of all). Can already tell the V8 will get better mileage than the V-10 and someone at Thor figured out how to sound insulate these guys--we can actually carry on a conversation at speed now! The unit drives and feels a lot more solid than our 2014 was (again could just be 8 years of rough roads on the old coach).

This one had a few options on it (it was a dealer order that we reserved): power drivers seat, 100W solar, tank heaters and some minor stuff.

So far we love the floorplan--the big test is yet to come: have to actually, you know, camp in the darn thing LOL.

Some minor issues and one that just points out that someone left early one day LOL.

Ok quick pic:

Name:	2022-05-03 12.58.00.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	37304

Now for the humorous Thor story. I mentioned that the unit has a 100W solar panel on the roof. At delivery we couldn't find the charge controller and the dealer delivery guy just said "meh sometimes the wire them straight to the battery!?" I was all "WTF?" about that but sure just let me have my coach.

We get it home and I start looking around, measuring voltages etc. (voltage at the battery with everything turned off). Solar appears to be working but cannot find the controller. (By the way the new Thor owner page with all the downloads contains TONS of stuff and that schematic document wow.)

Start an e-mail conversation with Thor with the question of "Solar looks like its working but how can it since I don't have a controller?" (Of course you know where all this is heading...) Back and forth with Thor (to their credit they were very responsive answering my e-mails within less than an hour) them telling me "walk around and send pictures so we can try to help you find it"...

I finally open up a panel at the bottom of the kitchen cabinets (another cool touch: They have panels easily removable just held on with the drawer holds instead of screws all you do is pull it off. There is one to get access to the water pump). Looking around below stuff and looky what I find:

Name:	2022-05-05 11.42.20.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	37302
Yup that is the solar controller which was supposed to be mounted in an accessible space but nope here it is buried and providing accent lighting for any stray mice that decide to go in here.

Edit: No rear window, and no ladder.
Old 05-05-2022, 09:47 PM   #52

THOR #2121
Quote:
Well if anyone is curious we did end up picking up one of these guys. Put a deposit down on it back in January and it finally showed up last Friday. Took a look at it that day then picked it up this past Tuesday.

.....cut....

Congratulations Jamie. Indeed it seems a very nice floorplan for camping.

Did you ask about outside storage, or is there some hidden area that explains specified volume? Just curious how it compares to your 24.1 in that department.
Old 05-05-2022, 10:26 PM   #53

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:

The ride difference between dropping off our 2014 24.1 and driving home the 2022 24.4 is amazing (not sure that was 8 years of improvements, just brand new vs 8 years old, or E350 vs E450--likely some combination of all). Can already tell the V8 will get better mileage than the V-10 and someone at Thor figured out how to sound insulate these guys--we can actually carry on a conversation at speed now! The unit drives and feels a lot more solid than our 2014 was (again could just be 8 years of rough roads on the old coach).

This one had a few options on it (it was a dealer order that we reserved): power drivers seat, 100W solar, tank heaters and some minor stuff.

So far we love the floorplan--the big test is yet to come: have to actually, you know, camp in the darn thing LOL.

Some minor issues and one that just points out that someone left early one day LOL.

Ok quick pic:
Attachment 37304

Now for the humorous Thor story. I mentioned that the unit has a 100W solar panel on the roof. At delivery we couldn't find the charge controller and the dealer delivery guy just said "meh sometimes the wire them straight to the battery!?" I was all "WTF?" about that but sure just let me have my coach.

We get it home and I start looking around, measuring voltages etc. (voltage at the battery with everything turned off). Solar appears to be working but cannot find the controller. (By the way the new Thor owner page with all the downloads contains TONS of stuff and that schematic document wow.)

Start an e-mail conversation with Thor with the question of "Solar looks like its working but how can it since I don't have a controller?" (Of course you know where all this is heading...) Back and forth with Thor (to their credit they were very responsive answering my e-mails within less than an hour) them telling me "walk around and send pictures so we can try to help you find it"...

I finally open up a panel at the bottom of the kitchen cabinets (another cool touch: They have panels easily removable just held on with the drawer holds instead of screws all you do is pull it off. There is one to get access to the water pump). Looking around below stuff and looky what I find:
Attachment 37302
Yup that is the solar controller which was supposed to be mounted in an accessible space but nope here it is buried and providing accent lighting for any stray mice that decide to go in here.

Glad you found it. But why does it need to be in accessible location? I put mine in a basement compartment but I have never had an occasion to look at it since .
Old 05-05-2022, 10:39 PM   #54

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:

Ok quick pic:
Attachment 37304

Attachment 37302

Very nice rig

You will definitely enjoy it!
Old 05-05-2022, 11:19 PM   #55
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Congratulations Jamie. Indeed it seems a very nice floorplan for camping.

Did you ask about outside storage, or is there some hidden area that explains specified volume? Just curious how it compares to your 24.1 in that department.
I think they just add up all the little cubbies they put on it. On the passenger side all the hatches are storage--even the little one in the very back that looks like a generator hatch is storage. For the drivers side there is the front one in the cap a tiny middle one (its the same hatch that the 24.1 uses for the dump plumbing) and at the very back the dump plumbing hatch has a lot of room in it--more than the 24.1. Perhaps they are adding that in LOL.

The amount of inside storage does make up for some of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Glad you found it. But why does it need to be in accessible location? I put mine in a basement compartment but I have never had an occasion to look at it since .
The controller that Thor installs has a display and some buttons on it for checking on various things (this guy).
Old 05-06-2022, 02:14 PM   #56

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I have the 100 watt solar package in my 2021 Axis 24.1 and the controller is very accessibly located near the battery on/off switch in the entry well.

You first need to set it up for the type of batteries you have. I check it to see how much power the solar panel is making and also if the batteries are full and therefore the power will be just a 0.1 amp or so and the display blinks "Full".

So it needs to be in an accessible place.

David
Old 05-06-2022, 02:56 PM   #57
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
I have the 100 watt solar package in my 2021 Axis 24.1 and the controller is very accessibly located near the battery on/off switch in the entry well.

You first need to set it up for the type of batteries you have. I check it to see how much power the solar panel is making and also if the batteries are full and therefore the power will be just a 0.1 amp or so and the display blinks "Full".

So it needs to be in an accessible place.

David
LOL! Yup--hopefully they set it up properly before just letting it lay there under the cabinet.
Old 05-07-2022, 06:33 PM   #58

THOR #2121
Quote:

......cut.... Can already tell the V8 will get better mileage than the V-10 and someone at Thor figured out how to sound insulate these guys--we can actually carry on a conversation at speed now! ......cut.....

Jamie, I’m curious how you can “already tell the V8 will get better mileage than the V-10”? Is that based on instantaneous MPG readings, or have you done a fill-up already? Either way, how much improvement are you seeing/expecting?

New Axis haven’t changed much in physical size since your original motorhome was built, and the new 24.4 is definitely heavier than your 24.1, so new V8 and 6-speed must be much more efficient that your V10 and 5-speed. Granted, there have been a few aero improvements since 2014 Model Year, but they seem too minor to be that noticeable.

Regarding sound/noise, Thor has probably improved design some, but Ford V8 is likely quieter than V10 which should help.
Old 05-07-2022, 08:48 PM   #59

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I have never had or driven a V10 equipped MH to compare, but our 2021 Thor Axis 24.1 with the V8 is definitely quiet. I hear more road noise coming through the wheel wells than engine noise. Thor/Ford did a good job of insulating the dog house.

I also average 12 mpg over 5,000 miles. I get a little more, maybe 12.5 on flat interstates and a bit less, 11.5 on twisty country roads. These are fill to fill calculations.

I just filled it up and hit a 13.5 mpg average over 10 miles of flat interstate before I got off into hilly secondary roads and it dropped. This was a dash reading.

David
Old 05-08-2022, 02:04 PM   #60

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post

.....cut.....

I also average 12 mpg over 5,000 miles. I get a little more, maybe 12.5 on flat interstates and a bit less, 11.5 on twisty country roads. These are fill to fill calculations.

.....cut.....

David, please excuse me asking again, but how slow do you drive an Axis 24.1 in order to average 12 MPG? That’s up there in large van territory; which is excellent but way above the mean.

Since your 24.1 was likely built on E-350 stripped chassis, have you looked at “Axle” designation on door sticker to see if you have 4.10 or 4.56 gears? Even taller gears doesn’t explain 12 MPG when most owners report +/- 10 MPG at best as an actual long-term average. I normally dismiss single-tank results because conditions may have been abnormal (like tailwind, downhill, etc.), but your average over 5,000 miles is very unusual.

If I recall correctly, you don’t tow and rarely use generator, correct? Others that do likely use more fuel, but it’s hard to account for 20% difference.