Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2022, 06:59 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I drive in the low to mid 60s on interstates and about 55 on twisty, hilly secondary roads. I do not use cruise control and back off the throttle going uphill and accelerate going down.

The sticker below the driver's window says it is axle 52 which is a 4.10 ratio. The 24.1 is built on an E350 stripped chassis with the so-called economy engine of 300 hp. FWIW I have never felt short on hp driving the coach. Not surprising as the 350 hp engine pulls F53 based MHs with double the weight.

Yes, I probably only have 5-10 hours on the generator over a year and all were to keep it lubed and loosened up, not to run the A/C. And I don't tow.

But others like JamieGeek have reported getting 11 mpg on the 24.1 with the V10. I can believe that two fewer cylinders, lower operating speed as a result of a taller gear ratio and better injection all add up to a 10% improvement

And my fill to fill mpg is usually within 0.5 mph of the dash indicator which showed 13.5 mpg for 10 miles of flat interstate driving after a fill up and zeroing the indicator.

David

David

Old 05-09-2022, 01:08 PM   #62
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
I drive in the low to mid 60s on interstates and about 55 on twisty, hilly secondary roads. I do not use cruise control and back off the throttle going uphill and accelerate going down.

The sticker below the driver's window says it is axle 52 which is a 4.10 ratio. The 24.1 is built on an E350 stripped chassis with the so-called economy engine of 300 hp. FWIW I have never felt short on hp driving the coach. Not surprising as the 350 hp engine pulls F53 based MHs with double the weight.

Yes, I probably only have 5-10 hours on the generator over a year and all were to keep it lubed and loosened up, not to run the A/C. And I don't tow.

But others like JamieGeek have reported getting 11 mpg on the 24.1 with the V10. I can believe that two fewer cylinders, lower operating speed as a result of a taller gear ratio and better injection all add up to a 10% improvement

And my fill to fill mpg is usually within 0.5 mph of the dash indicator which showed 13.5 mpg for 10 miles of flat interstate driving after a fill up and zeroing the indicator.

David

David
Two fewer cylinders but more displacement: 6.8L V-10 vs 7.3L V-8. A VIN decoder shows my rear as 4.56 (its back at the storage lot so I can't just go and look at the moment).

My "already tell" reaction was a bit premature I'm sure as it was simply based on the trip meter's average mpg for the 20ish mile drive home showing around 13mpg. That trip was on a busy highway which limited my speed and slightly downhill.

We did take it camping this past weekend and that round trip was showing about 10 mpg on the trip meter for about 200 miles. This also included about 50% of travel going 70 or 75 mph. Still quieter and handles better than the 2014 did. Of course there are only about 400 miles on it so far--we'll see if it gets any better like the V-10s do after a few thousand miles.

We found the murphy bed more comfortable than expected--I guess it pays to have low expectations to begin with? LOL

A few quirks and things that needed repairing (as usual for a new coach): some stripped screws, leaking plumbing, etc.

The sewer outlet on this one does NOT rotate--its basically slightly downhill and the hole/hatch for the outlet did not let my 90 elbow connect up. Thus I had a puzzler to get connected at the campground. (If you do get a new coach try this at the dealer or at home before going camping! Didn't even cross my mind until hooking up at a campsite--remember kiddos "Test EVERYTHING at the dealer" LOL)

While camping I ordered a 45 elbow (Amazon) that showed up as we got home. It works perfectly.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 01:43 PM   #63

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post

.....cut.... A VIN decoder shows my rear as 4.56 (its back at the storage lot so I can't just go and look at the moment).

.....cut.....

Thor specs show heavier 24.4 floor plan is built on E-450 chassis and all have 4.56. Only the E-350 can be 4.10 or 4.56 per Ford.
Old 05-09-2022, 02:05 PM   #64

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post

....cut....

.....cut....

Interesting comment regarding “Economy” engine. I did not consider it a possibility that would explain your higher fuel economy because Thor specifications only listed power and torque ratings of the “Premium” V8 in their specs.

For smaller and lighter motorhomes the slightly less powerful engine makes sense if it can deliver the kind of fuel economy you are getting. Just wondering if your Economy engine was a fluke or if there are others in motorhomes? Power and torque differences are less than 10% so most drivers probably wouldn’t even notice the difference.
Old 05-13-2022, 05:23 PM   #65
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Took the 24.4 to the scales today. The following weights include me, full tank of gas, 2/3 fresh water, empty waste tanks and all our camping gear loaded up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-05-13 131816.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	37468

In comparison our 24.1 weighed in at 11,400 lbs back in 2014 (4700 steer, and 6700 lb drive--we had 3 people in the 24.1 when weighing it so that extra weight on the steer would be 2 people sitting up front, the extra weight from the 6" taller front windshield and its possible that the slide on the 24.1 puts more weight on the front than the full slide on the 24.4...).
Old 05-30-2022, 03:03 PM   #66
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
I'm finding that not having a ladder is a pain! LOL

Ok some notes: As any new owner does I started making a punch list of things to be fixed (like finding the solar controller buried below some drawers). Called the dealer and the soonest that they can get me in was August. I looked at the punch list and thought "there isn't anything on this list that I can't do myself". With that:

Name:	2022-05-22 12.35.13.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	37763
(The solar controller mounted properly)

While on a ladder looking at the roof I noticed the front vent, ugh:

Name:	2022-05-29 09.05.10.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	37764
It appears to have been installed, ripped off (literally!), and re-installed. It also appears that they pried up the flanges during the removal process and didn't bother to fix them, or simply use a new vent. On top of that they used less than 1/2 the screws to hold it down--2 of the screws in front didn't even have any sealant on them. Well..

Name:	2022-05-29 10.53.08.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	37765
The new vent installed (this one is a Maxx-air vent).

Also did a test tow to make sure the trailer connector was good and the dolly/hitch were in good working order.

Name:	2022-05-29 07.55.31.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	37766
Fortunately all is good there. Pulls like a champ.
Old 05-30-2022, 04:04 PM   #67

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
I'm finding that not having a ladder is a pain! LOL

Ok some notes: As any new owner does I started making a punch list of things to be fixed (like finding the solar controller buried below some drawers). Called the dealer and the soonest that they can get me in was August. I looked at the punch list and thought "there isn't anything on this list that I can't do myself". With that:
Attachment 37763
(The solar controller mounted properly)

While on a ladder looking at the roof I noticed the front vent, ugh:
Attachment 37764
It appears to have been installed, ripped off (literally!), and re-installed. It also appears that they pried up the flanges during the removal process and didn't bother to fix them, or simply use a new vent. On top of that they used less than 1/2 the screws to hold it down--2 of the screws in front didn't even have any sealant on them. Well..

Attachment 37765
The new vent installed (this one is a Maxx-air vent).

Also did a test tow to make sure the trailer connector was good and the dolly/hitch were in good working order.
Attachment 37766
Fortunately all is good there. Pulls like a champ.
Great job

If going to dealer use numbered list to track

You will be happy with this cover

Maxxair 00-955001 White Fanmate Cover with Ez Clip Hardware https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010D1VJQO/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_W5SBMADGV1MD8ABAER2Shttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B010D1VJQO...DGV1MD8ABAER2S
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20220530-100225_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	37767  
Old 05-30-2022, 04:46 PM   #68
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Great job

If going to dealer use numbered list to track

You will be happy with this cover

Maxxair 00-955001 White Fanmate Cover with Ez Clip Hardware https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010D1VJQO...DGV1MD8ABAER2Shttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B010D1VJQO...DGV1MD8ABAER2S
The RV already came with a vent on the back--one of the reasons I went with the Maxx air as its the same one and thus I can match. Although I think I'd go with the black one as its the same as the one on the back.

Name:	2022-05-06 19.00.51.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	255.0 KB
ID:	37772
Old 05-30-2022, 07:23 PM   #69

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
The RV already came with a vent on the back--one of the reasons I went with the Maxx air as its the same one and thus I can match. Although I think I'd go with the black one as its the same as the one on the back.
Attachment 37772
Lol my 30 year rv tech does not understand folks using black in hot weather. We strongly recommended 2 whites for me. Installed 2 whites and not a lot of heat in those areas
Old 05-30-2022, 07:44 PM   #70
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Lol my 30 year rv tech does not understand folks using black in hot weather. We strongly recommended 2 whites for me. Installed 2 whites and not a lot of heat in those areas
Given their function and where they are I can't imagine black/white making that much of a difference. Sure the black vent cover may get warmer than the white one, but its up on the roof and heat rises.

On top of that the Maxx air fans are exhaust only, at least the ones on my coach are. Thus there won't be anything forcing the hot air from the vent cover into the coach. (One could argue that the black cover will heat the air inside it causing more convection to draw air out of the coach than a white one with the fans off.)

I also ordered a black Magneshade for the coach since I didn't think any of the other colors they offered matched anything else on the outside of the coach. Again this is on the outside and still will be stopping the light from getting in heating up the inside so it will still perform better than simply closing the curtains at the front of the coach. I'll have to see if the black shade heats the inside or not (it won't be here for a few weeks). We had a grey Sunguard shade for the last Axis which did a great job at keeping the inside cool covering the big fishbowl front when parked but grey isn't black so we'll see.

Also note, however, that we're in Michigan and camp mostly around the midwest (although we have gone on and do plan longer trips elsewhere) so tons of heat, like the kind TX or AZ get will not be a frequent occurance for our coach.

LOL! Didn't mean to be so argumentative over something one might consider a simple thing LOL...the color of an RV accessory.
Old 07-18-2022, 01:35 PM   #71

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #14631
Re: Ccc

I may have missed it, but what is the cargo carrying capacity on your 24.4?

Thanks
Old 07-18-2022, 02:45 PM   #72

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
I think outside storage will be at a premium. The 24.1 always had the largest outside storage because those twin beds provided lots of space underneath -- two large storage areas with a large slide through connecting them. I just don't see where there would any space underneath on the 24.4.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 02:49 PM   #73

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
I think outside storage will be at a premium. The 24.1 always had the largest outside storage because those twin beds provided lots of space underneath -- two large storage areas with a large slide through connecting them. I just don't see where there would any space underneath on the 24.4.

Ed, I agree the outside storage volume numbers are difficult to compare (believe) between 24.1 and 24.4 floor plans (or 24.3 for that matter), but Jamie seems to think it is adequate for his family.

I think a bigger issue for some campers/buyers is not just the total volume, but how that volume is configured/distributed. It’s easy to find a home for lots of little things, but when hauling large items, a large number of small outside compartments doesn’t help much at all.

We like to travel with bikes as an example, and prefer them stored away (not hanging off back on exposed rack). Even better is room for a tandem. Large compartments also lend themselves well to haul large cooler, a spare tire, etc.

The 24.1 is indeed best in outside storage, which may be one reason it has been most successful Axis/Vegas floor plan; but could have even more useable outside cargo space for larger items if offered with rear compartment like that of Tiffin Midas or Wayfarer.

In case of Wayfarer it’s offered both ways, with elevated beds for large rear garage, and also with flat interior floor for those who may not want interior steps. Thor could easily do the same and spin the 24.1 into a similar floor plan with bike-size rear garage that would appeal most to younger buyers.
Old 11-09-2022, 09:36 PM   #74

Model: Vegas 24.4
State: California
THOR #28446
Vegas/Axis 24.4 exterior storage update

Just received this reply from Thor about the exterior storage space for the 24.4.

"Thank you for your follow-up. Yes, our number on the website is incorrect. Exterior storage calculations include all storage trunks including wet compartment below floor and any above floor storage accessible from the outside of the unit.

Total = 28.84 CU. FT."

Old 11-09-2022, 10:37 PM   #75

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Pilot View Post
Just received this reply from Thor about the exterior storage space for the 24.4.

"Thank you for your follow-up. Yes, our number on the website is incorrect. Exterior storage calculations include all storage trunks including wet compartment below floor and any above floor storage accessible from the outside of the unit.

Total = 28.84 CU. FT."

Thanks for posting the revised number; which makes more sense to me. The original 53.5 cubic feet did not seem possible by comparison to other floor plans.

And welcome to forum.