Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2014, 06:53 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Hurricane 34J
State: Washington
THOR #774
2015 Thor Hurricane 34J Bunkhouse

Hi all (Not sure where to post this thread, so I put it here and in "mods"). Any how's, bought my 1st RV today I grew up doing a bit of RV camping with my dad, and figured it was time to share the same great experiences and memories with my young family. Other than tent camping a few times, this is my first venture into the "non-tent" world ha! Bought a 2015 Thor Hurricane 34J bunkhouse today and pick it up in 2 weeks. Fingers crossed it works out ok for us, as its a big commitment from the family. So, that being said I'm a bit nervous and excited hahaha I'm driving it from Texas back to Seattle solo, so I figure I will get a "crash" (no pun intended) course in how everything works. I assume I will arrive with a small list of things that need to be fixed, but hopefully nothing too crazy.

So, my question is, what are the top 10 items I need to buy before I set out on my first family weekend trip? Try and keep the whole list under $2,000. Maybe its something simple, in which you are surprised Thor didn't include it originally, or something you picked up only after years of camping. Any help would be great! My wife is not so sure about the whole RVing idea, so I want to make sure I start off on the right foot. Thanks in advance!

Old 04-17-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
It would be to your advantage if you could set at home, in the back yard or driveway to try out your new rig for awhile. Sleep in it, eat there. Make it a family affair trying it out right at home. You will come up with your own list on what you need, and it won't be a big deal if you don't have it there like it might if you were on a camping or road trip.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:41 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Model: Zinger ZT26BL
State: North Carolina
THOR #91
welcome and congrats. I would get a water pressure regulator (we use this on our TT), a tool kit to keep in the MH, an air compressor for pumping up tires, a battery charger/jumper (may not be as necessary with a MH as a TT), plumbers tape, duct tape, basic first aid kit. we stock ours so that we only have to grab food and clothes to go so we bought a set of correlle dishes, a set of pots/pans, silverware, cups (plastic) and a couple of coffe mugs/wine glasses, cleaning supplies, sunblock, ant spray, toiletries, linens, towels and even meds that stay in the TT unless something needs to be washed or replaced. there are of course things like chairs (zero gravity are wonderful!) fan, patio mat, grill etc we bought things over time. make a list each time you go out of what you wished you had the next time. just make sure you have the bare essentials you would need to survive a trip if no Walmart is nearby. yard sales, Walmart, target, good will and thrift stores are great places to find some items cheaply.
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:41 PM   #4

Model: Rushmore Monticello
State: Ohio
THOR #524
Stock it as your own house, so that way you haven't forgot anything.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:27 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #893
just bought a 2014 34J took delivery last week. need to have 50 AMp to 30 amp adapters, and the grill does not come with propane line to attach to motorhome.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:10 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Surge Suppressor, white hose - maybe a couple different lengths, pressure regulator, 120VAC monitor (if the surge suppressor does not include this function), grill, outdoor chairs, RV toilet paper, RV toilet chemicals, unbreakable dishware (or paper plates), some kind of separator (towels, etc) to keep the jiggling items from driving you crazy, tools, spare parts (fuses, light bulbs, etc)... the list keeps growing and growing.

See if your dealer you purchase the moho from will give you a discount on any accessories you purchase.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:31 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
State: Kentucky
THOR #1252
We are looking at buying a Hurrican 34j also. I would love to hear about anything that we should specifically be concerned about. We are downsizeing in order to get more sleeping arrangements. We currently have a 38 ft Holiday Rambler.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:18 AM   #8

Model: ACE
State: Florida
THOR #698
You need to go to Harbor Freight or a place like that. Pick up some cheap tools both metric and English. You never know when a bolt will loosen up. It is very difficult to use pliers to tighten things up.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:58 AM   #9

Model: 31F
State: Georgia
THOR #631
Did levelers get mentioned if your rig didn't come with a built-in system? You also may need a level, to figure out how much to raise side and/or front tires. Don't buy the cheap plastic lego-type blocks as they disintegrate easily if used on rock surfaces.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:44 AM   #10

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
THOR #1295
I bought a Hurricane 34 J 1st week of October (2015 model). POS!!!!! Had a 2003 Forest River 3100SS class C prior and wish I still had it. Thor quality is non existent! OMG! What a slap together job. I thought Forest River was bad, yikes, I guess they all are nowadays.

I am currently dealing with the MAXXAIR company to get a new circuit board for the ceiling fan as it quit working after 3 weeks! One of the HDMI cables was bent so bad to the main TV, the wires are cracked and the signal from the DVD player (not included by the way), comes and goes so bad, I will have to replace it. The trim on top of the microwave was simply jammed in, fell out on our first weekend trip. They did not even bother to screw the holding tabs in the wood! The gap between the wall and the ceiling next to the stove is almost 1/2 wide, hidden by a piece of trim that was hot glued up - yep, also fell down. One of the outside cargo doors is dropped so bad that it doesn't line up with the tab to close. The leveling system sucks as it is unable to auto level even on the most level, gravel site. The amount of dirt and debris from the manufacturing process left in the coach was ridiculous. They are simply dirt bags! There are multiple deep scratches throughout that are simply covered up by a slight layer of wax pencil! No quality at all. There is a 4x4 cut out in front of the psg. rear tire that lets all the road water into the sewer compartment - this cut out is for the side marker light wire to pass through - it is covered now. The nylon bag underneath the oven which covers all the wires/plumbing in order to keep the draft out from under the slide was torn all the way down because it got caught in the paneling which was hooking in it every time the slide went out. The paneling was stapled with 2 staples, which came out - screwed in secure now!

I will have had the motorhome 1 month tomorrow and these are the problems I have discovered and fixed already! I fear what the future will bring. I would not purchase another Thor product ever again!
Old 12-10-2014, 08:13 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursx2 View Post
I bought a Hurricane 34 J 1st week of October (2015 model). POS!!!!! Had a 2003 Forest River 3100SS class C prior and wish I still had it. Thor quality is non existent! OMG! What a slap together job. I thought Forest River was bad, yikes, I guess they all are nowadays.
I have had my new 2014 Hurricane 34E for a year now. And, I have had the privilege to setup next door to and watch a new Winnebago
Vista owner throw out a kitchen drawer onto the asphalt pavement because he was frustrated that it got stuck!

I have also setup right next to new Monaco, Tiffen, and Fleetwood owners with slide, electrical, plumbing, appliance, fiberglass delamination, or leak issues.

Yes. They all have their issues.

Unfortunately, you did not catch the things wrong with your motorhome BEFORE you took delivery. That's the purpose of the pre-delivery walkthrough. You are supposed to examine and inspect your entire new motorhome to your satisfaction before you sign any documents.

Things like cabinet gaps, electrical shorts, wax-pencil cover-up, and torn cable bags should have been caught during a walkthrough on delivery day.

For the cabinet gaps alone, I would have insisted on a different motorhome.

However, all of the issue do seem repairable under warranty. So, just make sure to put together a comprehensive list of everything that you find before your warranty period expires.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:27 PM   #12

THOR #1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girard89 View Post
just bought a 2014 34J took delivery last week. need to have 50 AMp to 30 amp adapters, and the grill does not come with propane line to attach to motorhome.
If it was a brand new Hurricane, it should have come with the hose - was supposed to - I WOULD GET THE DEALER TO SEND YOU ONE AND IF YOU DID NOT GET THE STAND AS WELL, GET THAT.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:34 PM   #13

THOR #1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher View Post
I have had my new 2014 Hurricane 34E for a year now. And, I have had the privilege to setup next door to and watch a new Winnebago
Vista owner throw out a kitchen drawer onto the asphalt pavement because he was frustrated that it got stuck!

I have also setup right next to new Monaco, Tiffen, and Fleetwood owners with slide, electrical, plumbing, appliance, fiberglass delamination, or leak issues.

Yes. They all have their issues.

Unfortunately, you did not catch the things wrong with your motorhome BEFORE you took delivery. That's the purpose of the pre-delivery walkthrough. You are supposed to examine and inspect your entire new motorhome to your satisfaction before you sign any documents.

Things like cabinet gaps, electrical shorts, wax-pencil cover-up, and torn cable bags should have been caught during a walkthrough on delivery day.

For the cabinet gaps alone, I would have insisted on a different motorhome.

However, all of the issue do seem repairable under warranty. So, just make sure to put together a comprehensive list of everything that you find before your warranty period expires.
I laughed when I read your comment about how you would have insisted on a different motorhome! I was 3.5 hours away from home on a weeks vacation to get this RV. The only one of the type (34J) on the lot.
The walkthrough was done with a fine tooth comb, but unfortunately these things did not appear as they were well hidden by the molding that later fell off.

I appreciate what you are trying to do here, but hindsight is always 20/20!
Old 02-24-2015, 12:37 AM   #14

State: Texas
THOR #1599
Hello and i'm new to the forum.....i am on my maiden voyage of our new Hurricane 34e.. We are only 1 hour from our home, wanted to go out but not to far.. Our only expectation is that we learn to use the coach ( new RV'ers here) and make our list of gripes!! Finding lots of things that don't work, wish i knew what to look for during our walk through.....but too inexperienced to really know what to ask! So this weekend has been a steep learning curve and lots of fun!, watched lots of youtube videos on RV stuff, and just taking it slow and having a great time!
Old 02-24-2015, 12:43 AM   #15

THOR #1295
Tytlfamily,

Welcome and I honestly hope you do not find half the things I have, but I doubt this will be so. Enjoy your trip, I envy you as we are still buried with snow in Ohio.
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:06 AM   #16

THOR #1599
Thanks, are you towing any car behind?
Old 02-24-2015, 01:24 AM   #17

THOR #1295
2012 Ford Fiesta 5 speed standard.

Towing it on four tires with a Roadmaster All terrain system. I prefer all four down as it is so easy compared to a dolly - in my opinion. Can not back up however and I had to disconnect once due to not being able to complete a turn in a cul de sac - embarrassing and a valuable lesson.
(THOR)
Old 02-24-2015, 02:31 AM   #18

THOR #1599
Hhhmmmm, i have a mini cooper, love it but can only be towed on dolly......but agreed, dolly seems like a pain!
Old 02-24-2015, 07:42 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
While most towed vehicles are done all wheels down, I really struggled with the decision to dolly or dingy tow. And while I eventually decided to dinghy tow (4 wheels down), a couple of times throughout the process of outfitting it, I kind of wondered if I had made the correct decision.

It all really comes down to personal preference, but mostly the capability of your tow vehicle. There are disadvantages and advantages to both methods.

Dolly towing does take more setup each time you tow for sure. And there is some degree of un-sprung weight on the tow vehicle which could result in handling issues, as well as a heavier tow system (dollys add both tongue weight and several hundred pounds of towed weight to the system).

Dinghy towing on the other hand is easier to connect-disconnect, but you then have issues with braking systems, dead batteries, tail-lights, and wear-and-tear on the transmission (especially if towing an automatic transmission).

Cost differential between the two systems may or may not be an issue.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:25 AM   #20

THOR #1295
I tow a 5 speed standard transmission so I simply place it in neutral and go. The battery does not die as it is turned completely off. A pain to drive a standard as a daily driver some days but makes towing a breeze!
(THOR)