Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2015, 03:52 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2789
Axis / Vegas Coach Leveling

I had read some threads about drains not working properly with the unit level being out 2 degrees. I am new to all these aspects of RV's. How do you do that with the least amount of hassle? Do you need jacks? Are most camp sites fairly level? Thanks for any guidance you can give me.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:12 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
I have yet to park someplace that was level for my Axis. The nose down travel stance has required a block or two for the front even if the spot was otherwise level.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:11 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Arizona
THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Guy View Post
I had read some threads about drains not working properly with the unit level being out 2 degrees. I am new to all these aspects of RV's. How do you do that with the least amount of hassle? Do you need jacks? Are most camp sites fairly level? Thanks for any guidance you can give me.
Grumpy - we camped one night in a space that was very uneven. Had to use manual leveling as our electric system is broken for now (waiting on parts). We did end up listing a bit to one side, and water did need some "help" going down the drains. But it was only one night so we just scooped and pushed the water toward the drains (shower and kitchen sink).

I don't think I'd want to deal with that issue for more than a day or two!
Old 09-07-2015, 05:38 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyGuy
So far the worst out of level place we've parked our Axis is our driveway--backing in so the nose is waay down (like 6" down at least). In this situation the only drain that may not work properly would be the front sink drain as that has to run towards the drivers side rear to get to the tank. The bathroom sink and shower both run forwards (take a look at the 24.1 waste diagrams posted around here).

At the moment our unit doesn't have any jacks so we have to manually level. So far we've never been to a site that is more than 1" or 2" out of level (note inches, not degrees--1 or 2 degrees over the length or width of a camper is actually quite a bit; 1 degree over the 25ft length of the Vegas/Axis is almost 6" out of level. 1 degree over the width is 1.5" out of level.).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:23 PM   #5

Model: Chateau 35SK
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2366
Not sure what frig is on the Axis, but if it is a RV propane/electric unit it is more important to have the unit level for the frig than the drains. You can ruin an RV frig if the unit is not level.

Fred
Old 09-08-2015, 08:56 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
We lived in our Vegas for 4 and 1/2 months from Florida to Alaska and back and did not level it once. I have leveling blocks from my old class C, but I never used them. There were a few nights that I had to sweep the water in the shower, but that was less work than leveling the RV. Never had a problem with the fridge or propane. The only reason I wished I had leveling jacks in the Vegas, is if we had to change a tire. We were 100 miles from nowhere more than several times and that worried me. I had plugs and an inflator, but luckily never had to use those either.