Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2015, 10:03 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: California
THOR #2618
Axis and Vegas Maybe Not so Hot?

I am not familiar with Thor products but we liked driving the Vegas and thought it would suit our downsizing since I could drive it (the wife) but now I hear engines have failed, that it is all over the road in windy or large truck conditions? and so I kinda quit looking and thought I would post this. Maybe they are just too new to be a proven product? This will be our 5th and last motorhome so we want to make sure we get it right and the one thing we were looking for is a stress free keep it on the road drive. Darn!Any advice appreciated.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:58 PM   #2

State: Texas
THOR #2121
For what it's worth, I seriously doubt the one Ford engine failure that I've seen reported had anything to do with being an Axis or Vegas. That very same 6.8-liter V10 engine has been used on most Class Cs for well over a decade.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:16 AM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
And Class A's, and pickup trucks, and vans.

At this point Ford has built probably over a million V-10s. The one engine failure was just bad luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv4jimnme
that it is all over the road in windy or large truck conditions?
The worst I've seen of this was when we were going over the Mackinaw Bridge last weekend (the bridge from the lower peninsula of Michigan to the upper peninsula). It was pretty windy and I was just about blew off the bridge--turns out I was going a little too fast for the conditions (they did close the bridge shortly after due to high winds).
Other than that I find our Axis pretty easy to drive, even one handed most of the time.
The nice thing is that if you don't like the way it drives there are improvements you can make (as you've probably read).
The one thing that you MUST do, though, is get an alignment. There were at least two stickers around inside our coach and our dealer stressed that we should get it aligned during the purchase process. It makes for a big difference.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:52 AM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1547
We downsized to an Axis about 18 months ago. Compared to now, there were very few Axis/Vegas motorhomes around then. It drives great! It also handles large trucks passing with no problems. When it is too windy for our Axis, it is also too windy for most RVs!!!
Old 08-09-2015, 02:57 AM   #5

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
We, too, downsized to the Vegas, with some concern about Thor quality. We've had RV's for decades, and looked at many others. Forums from other companies reveal that they all can have issues. Friends with new coaches by other brands have had more issues than we have.
We crossed that same Mackinac Bridge a few weeks ago, and the wind was unnerving that day, too. We'll have ours aligned as soon as I can get it scheduled.
Search this forum for Vegas Axis, for more opinions. Good luck with your search!
Old 08-09-2015, 04:44 AM   #6

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Pretty Hot ... fun rig I'd say so far ours handles pretty much like any other E series chassis I've driven ... an alignment and track-bar made driving quite enjoyable.

Have fun finding a rig that fits your use.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:47 PM   #7

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
THOR #2142
Granted we have only had our 2016 Vegas for 2 1/2 months but no major problems with the unit. We are awaiting an alignment appointment which will be the last of the items from our PDI and the first two short haul shake down camping trips.

We have read and looked into seveal of the concerns listed on this Forum and heeded the advice and recommendations made here (and really enjoyed some of the modifications done). Still trying to figure how to get the outside TV un-mounted (open to suggestions or reference to earlier threads on this).

We purchased thru CW of Statesville NC and have been pleasantly suprised at the quality and timeliness of the repairs.

We will be heading up thru Asheville NC to a campground in Cherokee later this month which will put the Vegas thru some pretty steep mountain roads, narrow roads and finally to a great looking trout stream. So we will see how she does then...but for now we are quite pleased with the Vegas.

Wish you the Best with your decision on which unit to purchase.

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 02:08 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
You also have to keep in mind the nature of internet forums like this: People with issues to solve go looking for forums like this. Thus any forum about any given RV (car, boat, etc.) will have an abnormally high number of issues. The people happy with their unit are out camping in it--not posting in forums (of course there are exceptions to that--like me! I'm posting and we're happy with our unit. Approaching 7500 miles on the odometer and about to go on another 1000+ mile trip with it).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 04:20 PM   #9

State: Florida
THOR #1249
DocMike, sort of OT on this thread, but we just returned from a trip up in Asheville, Smokies, Parkway etc. Spent a few days in Pride RV resort exit 20 off I-40. Has a trout stream running beside it if interested. Saw some fly fishing there. It is a PPA and C2C campground.
Have a great trip.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:55 PM   #10

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
THOR #2142
Thanks for the info on the Pride RV Resort. I'll have to take a look.

I usually get off I-40 there in Waynesville (exit 27 I believe). So just 7 more miles down the road. "It's on the way"...nice to be able to look around and not continually try to set a new "personal best all time speed record" getting somewhere.

Take care.

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:13 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #2123
Bought our Vegas 24.1 in June in Michigan. This is our 9th MH, so not newbies by any means:-)
Love this unit. I added shelves in the closet, as we seldom hang clothes. Great addition I must say.
Highly recommend it. Have had zero issues. Ours is a 2016 model, so maybe the "bugs" have mostly been worked out.
Good luck in your search.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:16 PM   #12

Model: Vegas
State: Iowa
THOR #2078
Vegas, Engine Failure

As the one with the engine failure, I don't think it had anything to do with the Vegas, and we want it fixed so we can get back on the road.