Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2022, 01:02 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29
State: Indiana
THOR #9245
Axxera AVM70 died

Hi all,
I know this topic has been done before, but I didn't find anything recent. And in the electronics biz, things change fast. My AVM70 in my 2018 Windsport 29 flat out died. I checked wiring for mice and the fuse under the bed. I have given it last rites and I've been shopping for a replacement.

I like the Pioneer DMH-1770NEX, but I can't see if it's a plug and play unit. Or if there is an adapter harness. Has anyone changed over to this unit before? Or can anyone recommend something that doesn't require cutting and splicing wires to install?

Thanks,
Jay

Old 06-28-2022, 01:31 AM   #2

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
If you want to try a resurrection, there is a fuse on the back of the unit.

The last one I replaced was through Crutchfield. They were really good about helping me get the right replacement. The new unit I bought didn't have an adapter harness, but it wasn't hard to splice the color coded wires. I wouldn't hesitate to do that again.

Hope you find what you are looking for.
Old 06-28-2022, 03:49 AM   #3

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Swapping out an aftermarket deck with another deck is pretty easy. Just have to match up the wire colors and put in. Hardest part is taking the dash apart. If you have never done it before just take pictures. Use the correct connectors don’t just twist the wires and put electrical tape on them.
Old 06-28-2022, 04:06 AM   #4

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Just look for double DIN units with a single RCA video input. There's millions of them out there with about any feature you can imagine... for a price of course.
Old 06-29-2022, 12:53 AM   #5

THOR #9245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
If you want to try a resurrection, there is a fuse on the back of the unit.

The last one I replaced was through Crutchfield. They were really good about helping me get the right replacement. The new unit I bought didn't have an adapter harness, but it wasn't hard to splice the color coded wires. I wouldn't hesitate to do that again.

Hope you find what you are looking for.
Thanks. Can you give me some details on the fuse on the back? I pulled the unit our as far as I could looking for chewed wires.
Old 06-29-2022, 12:55 AM   #6

THOR #9245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
Swapping out an aftermarket deck with another deck is pretty easy. Just have to match up the wire colors and put in. Hardest part is taking the dash apart. If you have never done it before just take pictures. Use the correct connectors don’t just twist the wires and put electrical tape on them.
You had to take the dash apart?? Yikes! I was able to pull the unit out far enough to check for chewed wires. I was hoping for a adapter cable so I didn't have to solder and shrink tube the connections. Not enough room for that.
Thx
Old 06-29-2022, 01:57 AM   #7

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeryboats View Post
You had to take the dash apart?? Yikes! I was able to pull the unit out far enough to check for chewed wires. I was hoping for a adapter cable so I didn't have to solder and shrink tube the connections. Not enough room for that.
Thx
I have a class c so with the E series you have to take the front panel off.
Old 06-29-2022, 12:46 PM   #8

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Please come back and post what you ended up with. My Axxera head is only used to calm the dogs when we’re away. Even after new antenna reception sucks. I occasionally stream via BT. Don’t know why phone calls are linked. There are no controls on the steering wheel. Anyway, I’d like to know the replacement you use.
Old 06-29-2022, 08:05 PM   #9

THOR #9245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Please come back and post what you ended up with. My Axxera head is only used to calm the dogs when we’re away. Even after new antenna reception sucks. I occasionally stream via BT. Don’t know why phone calls are linked. There are no controls on the steering wheel. Anyway, I’d like to know the replacement you use.
I think we're going to go with the Pioneer unit and just wing it. If it gets too deep the local shop is booked until August. But I'm going to pull the Axxera out and look for the fuse I was told about.
Old 07-01-2022, 07:58 PM   #10

THOR #9245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
I pulled the radio out and disconnected the wires. I checked for chassis power and got 13.46 VDC. So I ohm'd the fuse and it was good as well. Just ordered the Pioneer DMH1770NEX from Amazon for $378 with tax. Wish me luck!
Old 07-07-2022, 12:52 AM   #11

THOR #9245
Hi all. I wanted to give an update. I found the RV has a 12 pin radio connector that has a short pigtail that plugs into the Axxera unit. I contacted Crutchfield hoping they offered a conversion pigtail like I have for the Axxera, but they really don't want to talk to me as I didn't buy the Pioneer from them. Even though they are out of stock... Anyway, based on the install sheet for the Axxera I found in the RV paperwork and the manual that came with the Pioneer unit, I think this is totally do-able. There are only two wires that do not use the connector pigtail, but they are labeled and easy to match up. All I need to do is remove the pigtail and cut and solder each wire to the Pioneer pigtail.
Old 07-07-2022, 08:56 PM   #12

THOR #9245
It works!!!
Once I identified the speaker wires and got them out of the way the others fell into place. It works great and the back up and side view cameras work as well. The only issue is the mounting can. It sets too far down in the hole. I'm sure that's an easy fix, just gotta find the right can. It may take a call to Pioneer...
Old 07-13-2022, 02:31 PM   #13

Model: Four Winds
State: Minnesota
THOR #10332
Axxera replacement

Our P.O.C. Axxera died and I have replaced it with a Kenwood DDX6906S. Once I got the dash front moved, the install went great. Our Four Winds has a camera switch, so it was only one plug for the cameras. Side and backup cameras switch perfect with this head unit. (Plus the radio volume doesn't lower every time you signal to change lanes). It was very easy to connect the wire harness to the new unit.

Class C Four winds
Old 07-13-2022, 03:45 PM   #14

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishacres View Post
Our P.O.C. Axxera died and I have replaced it with a Kenwood DDX6906S. Once I got the dash front moved, the install went great. Our Four Winds has a camera switch, so it was only one plug for the cameras. Side and backup cameras switch perfect with this head unit. (Plus the radio volume doesn't lower every time you signal to change lanes). It was very easy to connect the wire harness to the new unit.

Class C Four winds
We hate our Vegas AXXERA. will look into this
Old 07-13-2022, 11:22 PM   #15

THOR #9245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
I ended up buying a Pioneer mount kit which will require me to trim about 1/8" off the bottom of the cut out in the dash. Not a big deal, just have to be careful and cut straight. I'm going to use a dremil tool with a cutting disc.
Old 07-13-2022, 11:50 PM   #16

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeryboats View Post
I ended up buying a Pioneer mount kit which will require me to trim about 1/8" off the bottom of the cut out in the dash. Not a big deal, just have to be careful and cut straight. I'm going to use a dremil tool with a cutting disc.
I am NOT that talented
Old 07-15-2022, 02:18 AM   #17

THOR #9245
Quote:
I am NOT that talented
Sure you are! You just don't know it yet. Here's the plan. I'm going to take the new mount box and hold it so three three edges are slightly in the hole. The fourth side will be tight against the fake wood dash. I'll take a fine tip felt pen and trace along the outside edge of the fourth side of the box. Remove box and take some 1" masking tape and lay it down so the edge is right on the line. That will keep the fake wood from chipping. I'll then take my Dremil tool with cut off wheel in my hand. I'll use the other hand to "pin" my hand with the tool against the dash with the wheel just about to cut the panel. Using one hand to hold the tool and the other to control the cut, slowly start the cut following the tape edge. Using both hands to control the tool. and the dash for support, you can cut slow and control the tool so easily.
Old 07-15-2022, 02:58 AM   #18

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:

Go to Car Toys or a place similar. Listen to all of the spills and options. Learn what all is out there and what they can do. If you price shop look at Amazon, ebay etc. As long as you buy the specifications for what you have, they can make it work. I wanted to DIY a wireless steering wheel remote where I had bought all of the parts. They only charged me $75 bucks!!! I wanted to give the Technician $20 bucks a tip, but he said it had to be cleared with the Store Manager who said no. So I leave and came back in the store and told Tech that I had a question about the remote, he comes outside I shake his hand with $20 bucks, he smiled I went home a happy camper.

My point is unless you do this stuff everyday, everything is not good as a DIYer. Just spend the money and get a good quality unit and perhaps upgrade the speakers.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 01:57 PM   #19

State: Arizona
THOR #26851
I have a 2014 35 SG Super C. It came with a Pioneer AVH-P1400DVD. Not sure if that is the original or not, but it is failing. The display is poor and tends to go out. I really just need the rear and side camera display. Don't really care that much about the audio features. I would be interested in how this works for you. I am puzzled about how to get the old unit out. I see no screws or clips and looking online doesn't help. Is Axxera the standard Thor RV unit? Thank you.

Mark Ellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishacres View Post

Class C Four winds
Old 07-17-2022, 04:10 PM   #20

THOR #9245
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixbound View Post
I have a 2014 35 SG Super C. It came with a Pioneer AVH-P1400DVD. Not sure if that is the original or not, but it is failing. The display is poor and tends to go out. I really just need the rear and side camera display. Don't really care that much about the audio features. I would be interested in how this works for you. I am puzzled about how to get the old unit out. I see no screws or clips and looking online doesn't help. Is Axxera the standard Thor RV unit? Thank you.

Mark Ellis
Hi, I popped the plastic trim piece off with a butter knife. I know, low tech tool. I used two knives slid down the left and right sides of the radio and that released the clips in the mounting tray. Then I wiggled the radio out along with the knives. If you have a hard time, you may need to give it a little push from behind.