Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2017, 01:16 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBailey View Post
Correct, all you lose is the automatic switch to camera. I prefer to choose when I want to see the camera, especially when the automatic switch means losing audio.
Would you be so kind to clarify, two other items. If you are in camera mode, viewing the rear camera, when you put the turn signal on, does it switch to the side camera and continue to play the radio? After the turn or lane change does it go back to the rear camera view? Thanks in advance.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:32 PM   #22
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Question: Have these radios developed a reputation as a known source of trouble?
It seems a lot of folks complain about the Axxera radio...however, we have had no issues at all. Make sure the USE is on..and make sure you turn the radio off when leaving the RV. The radios have been identified as being a source for phantom battery drain.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:43 PM   #23

Model: Hurrican 29M
State: Colorado
THOR #9124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterrrr View Post
Would you be so kind to clarify, two other items. If you are in camera mode, viewing the rear camera, when you put the turn signal on, does it switch to the side camera and continue to play the radio? After the turn or lane change does it go back to the rear camera view? Thanks in advance.
Yes, it switches to side camera with signals and continues to play the radio and when the signal turns off it returns to the rear camera.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:32 PM   #24

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
Yeah, I had a 2017 Chateau and the Axxera radio was very annoying, but at least on that one you could select the rear camera icon on the display and it would keep it in camera mode, and using the turn signals would not mute the audio.

I just got a new 2018 Chateau and they actually managed to make the Axxera radio even more annoying. To select the camera mode you have to first go to the home screen, and as people said, as soon as you use your turn signal it mutes the audio and exits camera mode. I also found that the rear camera is useless after dark -- the display is just washed out with glare circles.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:05 PM   #25

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #6877
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
Yeah, I had a 2017 Chateau and the Axxera radio was very annoying, but at least on that one you could select the rear camera icon on the display and it would keep it in camera mode, and using the turn signals would not mute the audio.

I just got a new 2018 Chateau and they actually managed to make the Axxera radio even more annoying. To select the camera mode you have to first go to the home screen, and as people said, as soon as you use your turn signal it mutes the audio and exits camera mode. I also found that the rear camera is useless after dark -- the display is just washed out with glare circles.
if you set to view rearview then the blinkers views do not reduce volume, at least on mine.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:49 PM   #26

State: California
THOR #10552
Axxera Display

Guess I'll add my two cents. What's with the polarized display on the Axxera AVM70LH, installed on 2018 Windsport 29M? I finally realized that the reason I can't see the display clearly is because I wear polarized (prescription) sun glasses while driving. They cancel the radio display. (Try turning the glasses 90 degrees while looking at the display and you'll see what I mean.) Anyone else have this problem? And while I'm at it, there are no dash lights for the instrument panel unless the headlights are on. It's VERY DIFFICULT to see temperature gauges, etc., while driving during the day. Comments?
Old 03-01-2018, 08:26 PM   #27

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
Yep, I know what you mean about the polarized glasses. Happens with a lot of other screen devices too. As far as lights display, gauge lights are on during the day on my Class C rig.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:02 PM   #28
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard View Post
Guess I'll add my two cents. What's with the polarized display on the Axxera AVM70LH, installed on 2018 Windsport 29M? I finally realized that the reason I can't see the display clearly is because I wear polarized (prescription) sun glasses while driving. They cancel the radio display. (Try turning the glasses 90 degrees while looking at the display and you'll see what I mean.) Anyone else have this problem? And while I'm at it, there are no dash lights for the instrument panel unless the headlights are on. It's VERY DIFFICULT to see temperature gauges, etc., while driving during the day. Comments?
That's how privacy screens work. The Axerra display is not polarized any differently than any other LCD display, your glasses are.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:45 PM   #29

THOR #10552
Steve,
Hmmm...never noticed the polarization effect on other screens...my toyota navigation screen for example. But you're right. There is a lot of discussion on the web..e.g., https://www.nushield.com/blog/polarized-sunglasses/ Guess it's because the screen (and dash) is so much brighter and easier to see on the Toyota while driving. Thanks.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:12 AM   #30

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #10798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
My Axxera just died on my 2018 Windsport. The dealer is waiting for a new replacement from Thor. My radio started turning off on its own, and a few other crazy things before it finally just stopped powering up at all.

Kev
we have a 2018 Hurricane and went through 3 radios. The third works great. Thor shipped them directly to me and I installed them myself. It was fairly easy; certainly less than 30 minutes each time. I had never done anything like that so was a true rookie.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:49 PM   #31

Model: Four Winds 24FS Class C
THOR #10509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Question: Have these radios developed a reputation as a known source of trouble?
I have a new Thor Four Winds 24FS currently in for warranty work on the back-up camera. Apparently it works through the Axxerra and it will require replacing or rewiring the Axxerra. So to Bob’s question – probably.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:04 PM   #32

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #6877
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerddd View Post
I have a new Thor Four Winds 24FS currently in for warranty work on the back-up camera. Apparently it works through the Axxerra and it will require replacing or rewiring the Axxerra. So to Bob’s question – probably.
Seems like a lot of folks have had problems with Axxera....mine has always worked fine and I think its a pretty impressive unit. A lot of folks have invested to get a separate display for the cameras so they dont have to deal with the radio swapping back and forth.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:53 PM   #33

State: Iowa
THOR #8767
Me too
Old 03-09-2018, 01:46 AM   #34

State: Arizona
THOR #7430
Quote:
Originally Posted by croused View Post
Seems like a lot of folks have had problems with Axxera....mine has always worked fine and I think its a pretty impressive unit. A lot of folks have invested to get a separate display for the cameras so they dont have to deal with the radio swapping back and forth.
Mine shuts off randomly also. When I'm driving it will just shut off. I think it's the wiring under the dog house of the dash
Old 03-09-2018, 02:47 AM   #35

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by croused View Post
We just ran the camera feed into our GARMIN RV770 so we have the rear view right in front of the driver, but still have the AXXERA to view on also..

Actually rigged the AXXERA to show the rear view on rear AV feed so we can view the TOAD while listening to satellite radio

And, I agree with CROUSED, our AXXERA has worked pretty well.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:55 PM   #36

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
We just ran the camera feed into our GARMIN RV770 so we have the rear view right in front of the driver, but still have the AXXERA to view on also..

Actually rigged the AXXERA to show the rear view on rear AV feed so we can view the TOAD while listening to satellite radio

And, I agree with CROUSED, our AXXERA has worked pretty well.

Did you just use some kind of splitter at the dash end?
Old 03-09-2018, 02:18 PM   #37
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Did you just use some kind of splitter at the dash end?
The dash end is easy, simple RCA splitter. The question is: How did he connect it to the RV770 since all I see is a wireless camera option?

EDIT: Nevermind: I see he really has the older RV760 which does have an RCA AV input.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:32 PM   #38

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Texas
THOR #10883
There's a couple of threads about this. Most of it is traced back to a corroded or open fuse in the engine area or in the battery compartment.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:29 PM   #39

THOR #16369
Ok
So how do you remove the unit..
Can’t wait to try this!
Old 08-15-2019, 09:20 PM   #40

Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomfortune View Post
Ok
So how do you remove the unit..
Can’t wait to try this!
If you have a class C then no need to remove the radio. Remove the doghouse cover and you can get to the back of the radio and the wires from underneath. If you need to remove the radio, just take off the front trim plate and there should be two screws mounting the radio. If you are trying to fix the radio from muting when you use the turn signals, there is a software fix now at the Axera site that people have applied which seems to fix the issue. As I had cut the orange wire before, I never applied the software update.