Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2018, 08:29 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Virginia
THOR #5909
Ugh..so disapointed!

This is my compartment right behind the front driver's side wheel. I really wish Thor would do quality control...must have been a "Monday" or "Friday" coach. Total delamination!!! 2017 Tuscany XTE 40BX, 8K miles, 2 years old in August.

Good thing is ..when I rebuild it, it will be done right

Old 05-04-2018, 08:51 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
yep, had all my floors in the main pass-thru bay and the water tank/wet bay totally replaced by Thor at the service center several years ago. Not only was water infiltration the problem, especially any bay directly behind, or in front of, the wheels, but I had strange/weird fungus plants growing mysteriously within the bays where the door wall meets the floor, it 'looked' like it was sealed from the factory, but apparently it just added to the 'migration' of species!

because Thor and other factories 'build' their boxes from plywood, this will continue to be an ongoing issue, especially if you travel much on wet/snow/muddy roads. The water is going to work it's way into the bay and sit there, and sit there... you get the idea.
Unfortunately, the 'wrap' the plywood used for these bay boxes with fiberglass 'wet proof' covering(the white stuff)... and while the covering is nice, there's a problem. Any and all edges that are 'cut' in order to build these boxes is now subject to water intrusion, and of course, long-term rot/mold/mildew growth. If all sides and edges are not wrapped by the white stuff BEFORE the boxes are screwed together, or the floor installed, then it's just going to keep happening.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:00 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Good luck with the repairs...

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1525471185
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8bc1f8a5c4234d4ac6128d320343e0c5.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	10089  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 02:03 AM   #4

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
OH MY !
What are they thinking????
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 02:16 AM   #5

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Wow - what in the heck was someone (design engineer) thinking??? Plywood as a base to storage compartment??? UUGGHH. Ours are all formed 1/4" plastic. I really don't get the wood thing.
Old 05-05-2018, 06:31 AM   #6

THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Woe heck was someone (design engineer) thinking??? Plywood as a base to storage compartment??? UUGGHH. Ours are all formed 1/4" plastic. I really don't get the wood thing.
THIS I believe is the "fallout" (pun intended) from design engineers being over ruled by "Price Point" Bean Counters.....
Thor Infinity
Old 05-05-2018, 12:01 PM   #7

THOR #1020
Whatever the case - I am sure someone convinced someone else that it was "treated" plywood. I wouldn't think that any sort of bio based material would hold up to the elements like injected plastic would. UUGGHH. This is one that seems like a very poor design issue - NOT a quality control issue. Mistakes make in mfg or assembly are one thing but when it is designed poorly, that is just simply BAD manufacturing. And end users don't have a chance.
Old 05-06-2018, 05:42 AM   #8

State: Nevada
THOR #11392
On our 2013 Challenger 37GT all our storage compartments are molded plastic.
Old 05-06-2018, 05:55 AM   #9

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
State: Florida
THOR #9721
I am so sorry, I can imagine how frustrated you must feel. Imagine going down the road and it giving way with all your stuff in it.

The Miramar is built like the Challengers with the plastic compartments. Our plywood begins at the floors.
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 06:54 AM   #10

THOR #3916
Question....
Is the plywood limited to just the flooring on the storage bays, or is it the entire basement under belly flooring?
Thor Infinity
Old 05-06-2018, 12:10 PM   #11

THOR #4735
it's the 'walls' and 'floor' of each storage bay, as the 'roof' of each bay is the bottom of the floor structure of the coach itself, which is typically a black 'house wrap' Tyvek type covered 3/4" plywood substrate.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:26 PM   #12

THOR #1020
Wow - maybe the plywood is used in the diesel coaches. Us gasser are so concerned about weight that I guess plywood would add too much weight and injected moulded bays are used. Lucky us!!
Old 05-06-2018, 03:04 PM   #13

THOR #5909
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Question....
Is the plywood limited to just the flooring on the storage bays, or is it the entire basement under belly flooring?
I do believe it's all walls and flooring. In all my comartments
Old 05-07-2018, 08:02 PM   #14

THOR #5909
Anyone else have trouble scheduling an appointment at factory service center? Seems like there is one 0erson that schedules
Old 05-07-2018, 08:23 PM   #15
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by CbtEngr View Post
Anyone else have trouble scheduling an appointment at factory service center? Seems like there is one 0erson that schedules
What do you mean by "trouble"? Trouble in that you can't get an appointment for months? or trouble in that its hard contacting them to even make an appointment?

In my case I knew it was going to be a few months out so I just e-mailed them. All my scheduling was done via e-mail; had everything setup in a few days of e-mailing back and forth. (This was a little over a year ago.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:26 PM   #16

THOR #4735
it's much better to email them.... both sides get to 'think' before they respond!

I like texting - same reason!
Old 05-07-2018, 09:41 PM   #17

THOR #5909
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
What do you mean by "trouble"? Trouble in that you can't get an appointment for months? or trouble in that its hard contacting them to even make an appointment?

In my case I knew it was going to be a few months out so I just e-mailed them. All my scheduling was done via e-mail; had everything setup in a few days of e-mailing back and forth. (This was a little over a year ago.)
Sorry should have expounded. I mean talking to the actual person to schedule the appointment. I would prefer to have my coach during the season so an appt months away would be ok.

I'm not mad just really disappointed no need to get angry at a service/mechanic type not their fault. Some one just dropped the ball at the "sealing station" that day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
it's much better to email them.... both sides get to 'think' before they respond!
I like texting - same reason!
I would rather talk it out then wait on each other to respond to emails/texts.

anyone weld on a newer coach? I have some ideas just don't want to go frying the electronics
Old 05-07-2018, 11:21 PM   #18

THOR #4735
right, but understand that one of the frustrations you may encounter when trying to call Thor service center to schedule an appointment by 'talking it out' is that the person answering is not going to know what you need, why you need it, or probably what it even takes to solve it... they only write down your issues and tell you when the 'first' time schedule they have open, or they call you back and discuss it once your 'fixes' are covered under warranty, etc. You have to know, though, if that particular day/week will work for you, so it's possible you still won't be able to say 'yes' or 'no' right then anyway.

Email works because everyone has a way to express their need, to take time to thoughtfully and carefully respond, and you have something in writing. They're going to ask for your email address anyway, regardless.