Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2020, 02:31 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2
State: Colorado
THOR #15515
Thanks a lot

Old 04-01-2020, 07:03 PM   #22

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #14187
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
For batteries to charge -- the USE/STOE switch MUST be in the USE position. When it is in STORE no charging current from the converter is being sent to the batteries.

So, when you are connected to shore power, when the generator is running, or when you are driving down the road be sure the USE/STORE switch is in USE.
When I'm plugged into shore power the light on the MAIN POWER switch is on/lit, how do I know if it's in the USE position?
Old 04-01-2020, 07:17 PM   #23

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by largejoe13 View Post
When I'm plugged into shore power the light on the MAIN POWER switch is on/lit, how do I know if it's in the USE position?
You can use a volt meter to check the voltage at the house batteries to check the position of the relay. If the voltage is above 13.0 volts, your house batteries are charging. If no volt meter then you have to disconnect shore power to check the position of the latching relay. With the shore power removed, if the interior lights in the coach will come on, then you have battery power. The light in the master power switch will be on also be on. Notice: if the light in the master power is on and you depress the master power switch, the light will go off indicating the latching relay and the master power switch are working as installed.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 10:50 PM   #24

State: Georgia
THOR #17416
Batt

I am far from being an expert on batteries but it sure is good to see someone on here that knows about ,electrolyte vs acid and specific gravity and charging temperature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
If the battery is about 80% charged (by electrolyte's specific gravity) a three stage converter will automatically switch to a float charge (maintenance). The actual voltage is tally dependent on the temperature of the charger (or batteries if a battery temperature monitor is installed). The float voltage can vary from 13.1 volts @ 30 F degrees to 13.6 @ 80 F degrees for 12 volt flooded batteries. The minimum voltage needed to charge a battery is dependent on the batteries temperature. A fully charged 12 volt battery will show about 12.8 volts resting (sitting for 30 minutes with neither being charged or discharged). Because of the batteries internal resistance it takes about 0.50 volts to move current into a charged battery. Equalization is overcharging a battery to stir-up the electrolyte by boiling out the water in the battery. This is never necessary unless the battery sits for a long time. De-sulfation is a contentious subject at best; whether it works or not seem to be dependent on the charge's manufacturer. Sulfation only occurs when a battery is not fully charged. If it is discharged slowly and recharged the next day little sulfation will occur.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:34 PM   #25

State: Georgia
THOR #17416
Thor batt

I two am having problems with the House Batt . I figured out how to overcome it . I haved burned up 2 batteries so far , they over charge and boil the water out . I have replaced the charger and it does no good .
Leaving the shore line plugged in and disconnecting the house battery but other than the battery not charging is there other problems that might occur? I need to keep the refrigerator on.

It was refreshing to read that someone knows about electrolyte VS acid and specific gravity and charging temperature
Old 04-01-2020, 11:53 PM   #26

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #13282
2016 Axis 24... on board charger performs fine for the coach batteries however, the BIN /bird will not charge the chassis battery even when the coach batteries are at 13 plus volts. So....I use my Sears auto shutoff portable charger on the chassis battery 24/7, otherwise it will discharge in 4 days, this procedure does the trick as we can be ready to head out in a jiffy.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:45 PM   #27

State: Illinois
THOR #13262
My rv when plugged into shore power it automatically turns on the "main power". I don't want the main power relay on all winter. I use an extension cord and 2 battery tenders for the house and coach batteries also I check water levels in the house batteries before we start traveling.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:54 PM   #28

THOR #13282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabobo View Post
My rv when plugged into shore power it automatically turns on the "main power". I don't want the main power relay on all winter. I use an extension cord and 2 battery tenders for the house and coach batteries also I check water levels in the house batteries before we start traveling.
I tried a 1000 miliamp tender on just the chassis battery and it wouldn't maintain, it has since been used on the mower & side by side batteries and does fine. Curious about your choice thanks
Old 04-02-2020, 12:57 PM   #29
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
No, it doesn't. When plugged in the converter supplies power to the DC buss which lights the "indicating" light on your USE/STORE (Main Disconnect) switch. It does not change the position of the latching relay. The light is NOT an indication of the position of your USE/STORE (Battery disconnect) relay.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 02:46 PM   #30

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Barber View Post
2016 Axis 24... on board charger performs fine for the coach batteries however, the BIN /bird will not charge the chassis battery even when the coach batteries are at 13 plus volts. So....I use my Sears auto shutoff portable charger on the chassis battery 24/7, otherwise it will discharge in 4 days, this procedure does the trick as we can be ready to head out in a jiffy.
My 2016 Axis did not charge the chassis battery under generator or shore power either. It turned out that the BIRD was wired incorrectly at the factory. It was a simple fix of cutting and moving one wire. I posted my fix in 2016 and it should still be back there, if you are handy with a volt meter and understand basic wiring.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:12 PM   #31
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrooney View Post
Our Axis doesn't go into maintain mode. Our previous 5th wheel Dutchman Voltage did not either. From what I have read most don't.
Thanks a lot
That's because you only read when people have problems. So "most" work correctly, but people don't post about their converter working correctly.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:35 PM   #32

THOR #13282
I'm researching Oneilky posts this evening ( spell?) Thanks for your help
Old 04-03-2020, 11:11 AM   #33

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Colorado
THOR #15515
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
That's because you only read when people have problems. So "most" work correctly, but people don't post about their converter working correctly.
You are absolutely right.

When my batteries are fully charged the onboard charger still charges at 13.6. Both house and chassis batteries.

Thanks
Old 04-03-2020, 11:14 AM   #34

THOR #13282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
My 2016 Axis did not charge the chassis battery under generator or shore power either. It turned out that the BIRD was wired incorrectly at the factory. It was a simple fix of cutting and moving one wire. I posted my fix in 2016 and it should still be back there, if you are handy with a volt meter and understand basic wiring.
I could only get back to 2018 posts...rats wish you had videoed cutting and moving one wire !
Old 04-03-2020, 01:30 PM   #35

State: Illinois
THOR #13262
Quote:
I tried a 1000 miliamp tender on just the chassis battery and it wouldn't maintain, it has since been used on the mower & side by side batteries and does fine. Curious about your choice thanks
I am using a Schumacher 1.5a maintainer on the house and a cheapo on the coach
Old 04-03-2020, 01:32 PM   #36

THOR #13282
Quote:
I am using a Schumacher 1.5a maintainer on the house and a cheapo on the coach
Thank you very much
Old 04-03-2020, 03:25 PM   #37

THOR #1765
Quote:
I could only get back to 2018 posts...rats wish you had videoed cutting and moving one wire !
If you have a BIRD/Trombetta in your 2016 like I did.

In the picture, the BIRD is to the right of the Trombetta (I will send a picture separately ( along with a troubleshooting page). On the Trombetta the left big red wire was to the coach batteries
And the right to the chassis battery. You can check that by checking the voltage on either the chassis or coach batteries and match that to either Trombetta post. (
(See next post)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D89B6D87-B0A8-42F6-A005-EADF89D4E0CF.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	23130   Click image for larger version

Name:	E46A29A0-2D78-4555-B153-130EC0CB9717.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	23131  

Name:	51544B51-99B9-40E4-88F9-6E96CAC53F42.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	23132   Click image for larger version

Name:	887D0583-353D-4E8B-A50C-E3B8E7CAF7FE.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	23133  

Old 04-03-2020, 03:33 PM   #38

THOR #1765
In my system, the BIRD was miswired at the factory. And shore power/generator did not charge the chassis battery because the correct voltage from the coach batteries did not get to the BIRD so it never told the Trombetta to open.

As you can see in the picture of the BIRD, it lists the color of the wires that go to the different locations. My simple solution was to cut the red wire coming out of the BIRD and connect it directly to the left (as you are looking at it from the front) post of the Trombetta. The system worked perfectly after that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E9B846F4-3A9D-4294-8492-CDC3263A3A5C.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	23134   Click image for larger version

Name:	2E47F597-C687-4B1D-B4B7-26E5D04054E3.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	23135  

Old 04-03-2020, 03:39 PM   #39

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrooney View Post
Thanks petefoss. The onboard charger doesn't cut off when the battery is charged and that just doesn't seem right and I don't believe a tender will boil the water out.
It is designed to provide 12 volt power AND charge the battery when plug in to shore power. Don't try to reinvent the wheel.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:40 PM   #40
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
In my system, the BIRD was miswired at the factory. And the engine did not charge the house batteries because the correct voltage from the coach batteries did not get to the BIRD so it never told the Trombetta to open.

As you can see in the picture of the BIRD, it lists the color of the wires that go to the different locations. My simple solution was to cut the red wire coming out of the BIRD and connect it directly to the left (as you are looking at it from the front) post of the Trombetta. The system worked perfectly after that.
SHUT, In electrical terminology when a breaker/switch/relay etc is SHUT it allows current flow. When it is OPEN (as in Open Circuit) no current flows.