Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-19-2018, 04:28 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #10552
I took more than five minutes! But you can do it. Once you have the quick fill installed, it works well. By the way, I sent an on-line request to Thor for the battery diagram and they sent it to me the next day. Nice to have. I plan to install a Victron battery monitor and will move the negative wires, and maybe the positive too, to a distribution block. This should make it a lot easier to replace the batteries.

Old 11-19-2018, 04:40 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Just reach in. I was able to just move a cable up if in the way. Didnt have to remove any cables

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 04:59 PM   #23

Model: Windsport. 35M
State: New York
THOR #6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by lachmanl View Post
How did you hook up the quick fill without disconnecting the battery cables?
I have a 29m Hurricane and looks impossible
You may have to loosen the nuts holding the cables and rotate the cable lugs and wires so the cables don’t interfere too much with removing the caps. Then tighten the nuts. That is what I had to do with mine.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:40 AM   #24

Model: 29M Windsport
State: Georgia
THOR #12172
Don't manhandle the cables, you may open another can of #*@&. Take your time and do it right the first time.
Great Wife
Life is Good!
skiptut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 12:55 PM   #25

State: Nevada
THOR #12329
to those none mechanical... remember this if you decide to take off the cables...
neg is first to come off, and last to go on... a guy told me this years and years ago... they are like bad employee's , first to go and last to come back...
Old 12-24-2018, 03:22 PM   #26

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard View Post
I took more than five minutes! But you can do it. Once you have the quick fill installed, it works well. By the way, I sent an on-line request to Thor for the battery diagram and they sent it to me the next day. Nice to have. I plan to install a Victron battery monitor and will move the negative wires, and maybe the positive too, to a distribution block. This should make it a lot easier to replace the batteries.
Yeah, covering those positive and negative colored cables with a black plastic covering, then using the same colored lugs for the connections to the batteries in addition to making it much more 'work' to change than your car or truck battery. Just makes this job is a take it slow and easy endevour & make sure you use colored tape on the covering first and zip ties to keep them together when you take them off. Makes it easier the second time around.
Old 12-25-2018, 01:37 PM   #27

State: Alaska
THOR #7889
I use a turkey injector without the needle
Old 12-25-2018, 02:53 PM   #28

THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiptut View Post
Don't manhandle the cables, you may open another can of #*@&. Take your time and do it right the first time.
Yeah if you do that, you made the work hours three times longer. Get the wiring diagram from Thor first. Find a camp chair to get confortable, then when you pull off the cables from each post, zip tie them together and color code them with tape. If you don't have the tape, peel the plastic cover on the cables and note the color of the cable underneath (Red or black). Oh yeah, since you are there, wash out the battery compartment with baking soda and water, might as well check the battery hold down strap to see if it is any good and when you put it all back together, clean and spray the posts with corrosion spray and close it up. Then take a break, go get a beer, maybe two and start it up to check everything.
Old 12-25-2018, 03:04 PM   #29

THOR #8432
Quote:
Can't believe how difficult it is to check the battery water on the Windsport 29M. Terrible terrible design. I agree...there should be a slide out tray. Come on Thor! I purchased the Qwik-fill but even that is going to be difficult to install unless I disconnect and remove the batteries. Has anyone modified this tray for easier access?
Well, on my 34f I got a piece of 3/8 plywood, cut it to size and pushed it under the back battery. The plywood under the first battery makes it too close to the C/B on the wall, so I got to live with that. Walmart sells those battery hold down straps very cheap but I'm still wondering why Thor doesn't design a better way to move the batteries OR use the no water needed batteries they have used on cars and truck since a long time ago.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:46 PM   #30

THOR #10552
Adding Batteries to Windsport 29M

Has anyone added additional batteries to the 29M? I have a residential refrigerator (big mistake!) and although I added solar panels, a couple more batteries would make boondocking much easier. What about under the dinette seat...Is that a bad idea? Any other location suggestions? (This is an old thread...hopefully someone will see it.)
Old 01-27-2020, 08:53 PM   #31
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Find a location as close as possible to the Inverter.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:33 PM   #32

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Has anyone added additional batteries to the 29M? I have a residential refrigerator (big mistake!) and although I added solar panels, a couple more batteries would make boondocking much easier. What about under the dinette seat...Is that a bad idea? Any other location suggestions? (This is an old thread...hopefully someone will see it.)
To add batteries in the battery compartment you would have to have an extended frame welded in. You do NOT want to put batteries under the dinette!!! Batteries need to be in a vented area.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:54 AM   #33

THOR #10552
Battery Compartment

Yeah, I agree about not putting them under the seat. I remember that Volkswagen did that years ago, but not a good idea. I'm thinking of putting them in the small storage compartment on the driver's side, next to the leveler controls...would install a pan, vent the cabinet and put in a partition to separate the batteries from the next door storage compartment. That might work. (Talking about a 2018 Windsport 29M.)

Short story...I have a 1988 Porsche Cabriolet and the battery is in the front storage area. I had a trickle charger on the battery with the hood mostly closed. When I turned on the ignition and tried to start the car, the battery blew up ... sounded like a shotgun! Fortunately there was very minimal damage to my car (acid everywhere), but it taught me a lesson!

Thanks for your reply.
Old 03-14-2020, 02:15 PM   #34

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by rurkaep View Post
We bought a new 29M 2018 Windsport and took it in for the usual warranty problems a new motorhome has, nothing to lose sleep over, however I had a major concern regarding the two 12 volt batteries and the space they allowed for their installation. I asked how I check the water level, he said I should disconnect the many cables and wires them perhaps take the batteries out. I told him he must be joking, he said he was not. I asked if they would authorize the dealer to install a slide out. He said no. He would not budge after practically begging him. Has anyone any clue of idea how I can service these batteries without removing them.? This is our 7th new motorhome. We have been camping a long time and find this situation unbelievable.
E&P
I have a 2018 Windsport 29m and your right, NO ROOM AT ALL!!!! It is crazy they don't provide an easy way to get to these things. I bought a battery water filler. The kind that has the push down collar and fills the cell till it's full. You used to see them at gas stations when they actually pumped gas---LOL. Got it on Amazon. Little black bottle that holds about a 1/2 gallon of distilled water. When we were in the Keys last week one of my duties was to fill all the batteries. This thing got to every cell. I had to move and force some cables out of the way, but did it. At the first sign of trouble, I'm changing them out with AGM sealed RV 6 volts. Too many problems with the old style batteries. Don't want one to boil over or catch fire!!!! Bob Trice
Old 03-14-2020, 02:19 PM   #35

THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cason61 View Post
Well, on my 34f I got a piece of 3/8 plywood, cut it to size and pushed it under the back battery. The plywood under the first battery makes it too close to the C/B on the wall, so I got to live with that. Walmart sells those battery hold down straps very cheap but I'm still wondering why Thor doesn't design a better way to move the batteries OR use the no water needed batteries they have used on cars and truck since a long time ago.
Are you saying that the maintenance free AGM 6 volt batteries can't be used on the 29m Windsports??
Old 03-14-2020, 02:43 PM   #36
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
Are you saying that the maintenance free AGM 6 volt batteries can't be used on the 29m Windsports??
Not sure how you came to that conclusion from his post.
Old 03-14-2020, 04:12 PM   #37

THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Not sure how you came to that conclusion from his post.
OK; cason61 commented that Thor did not use them as original equipment. I took that to mean they did not recommend them? Have not inquired with Thor or Gander RV. It's that simple. I guess you know they can be; correct?
Old 03-14-2020, 04:31 PM   #38
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
OK; cason61 commented that Thor did not use them as original equipment. I took that to mean they did not recommend them? Have not inquired with Thor or Gander RV. It's that simple. I guess you know they can be; correct?
Many people have replaced 12V FLA with 12V AGM in many different types of RVs.
Many people have replaced 12V FLA with (2) 6V FLA in series in many different types of RVs.
Not a lot of people have replaced 12V FLA with (2) 6V AGM in series for one good reason - balance.

12V batteries in parallel are easily balanced while charging
6V batteries in series have no way to insure they are balanced (at the same state of charge)
So if one 6V battery is at 100% and the other is at 75% what happens to the 100% battery as the 75% battery continues to charge? The 100% battery is overcharged.
6V FLA batteries are more tolerant of overcharging than any sealed battery. This is why lithium batterys need balance leads for charging and battery management systems.

So, can you replace 12V FLA batteries with (2) 6V AGM batteries in series? Yes, but not recommended.
Old 03-14-2020, 05:04 PM   #39

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
6 Volt AGMs

FYI,
We are on our second Class A where we dumped the flooded 12 volt batteries for six volt AGMs. Still no issues and a cleaner battery area. Recently jettisoned the flooded 12 volt chassis battery for a AGM.

I am beginning to think that these companies put in the cheapest batteries because they know they will be abused before the coach is sold and will need to be replaced anyway.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:44 PM   #40

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I may be a voice in the wilderness but I’m a fan of flooded 12 V house batteries. Cost is less than half of AGM and by using a Flow-rite watering system they never need to be opened. I tend to replace them about every 3 years so I always have fresh batteries but the OE flooded on my last unit were still going strong after 5 years. Topping off the water remotely is a two minute deal every month or two. I’ve also found that flooded batteries will give lots of warning when they approach the end of their life cycle where AGM tend to work fine until they don’t. If your MH is more than 6 months old when you buy it you should try to get the seller to replace them for you.