Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2016, 11:42 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Ontario
THOR #2311
Unhappy Battery Control Center or BIRD and Trombetta

I own a Thor Axis 24.1 (2015), while reading threads on Bi-Directional Isolator Relay (BIRD) and Trombetta that some Vegas owners have, I looked at my Axis to see where those BIRD/Trombetta were. I could not find them, however I found a metal box called Battery Control Center (BCC) in the storage compartment (under the driver's seat). It is a TH-1020 and the printed circuit board inside is a RV Custom Products FW-221 Rev B.
So, as I could not find the Trombetta nor the BIRD, I contacted Thor Warranty and the answer was that I did not have a BIRD/Trombetta because I had a BCC.
I was happy until Ed Felker had a look at his Vegas and confirmed that he had the BCC box and also the BIRD/Trombetta. We are both baffled by that.
Could someone sheds some light on this interrogation? It would be nice to see what you have on your Vegas and your Axis.
Thanks for looking

Old 10-28-2016, 12:27 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Our 2014 Axis does not have a BIRD/Trombetta, only the BCC. There is a large solenoid connected to the BCC that does the switching.

Here is a PDF on the BCC (at least in another camper but you can get the gist of it) including the circuit diagram.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 01:43 PM   #3

State: Ontario
THOR #2311
Hi JamieGeek, this document refers to the same unit I have: FW221 Rev B. I also found a couple of days ago the same on the IRV2Forum. It is a very good description of the different functions. It would have been nice to have the schematic diagram to see the different components and wiring.
What I find funny is the fact that some motorhome have the BCC and the BIRD. It would be interesting to see what type of BCC they have.
THanks for including the document, it is definitely going to help other members since the information on the BCC is very scarce.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:48 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude28
What I find funny is the fact that some motorhome have the BCC and the BIRD.
I think that is just the evolution of the the units as Thor figures out better/cheaper ways to build them. Given that the BCC has a lot of functions on it that aren't utilized in the Axis/Vegas units it is probably cheaper for them to move to the BIRD/Trombetta solution.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:21 PM   #5

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Claude and I have been emailing and yesterday I checked my 2015 Vegas in the storage yard. The fuse box under the driver's seat in the storage compartment is not the same BCC TH-1020 by RV Custom Products. The picture that Jamie had included in a previous post about the TH-1020 shows the white decal with TH-1020 just like Claude.

My box is smaller than the TH-1020. It only has a part number printed on it. It does not have the automatic functions that the TH-1020 has. I think it is just basically a circuit box with relays, circuit breakers, and fuses.

I had found a troubleshooting guide on line for the TH-1020 and sent it to Claude (file attached). In that troubleshooting guide on the section entitled "Auxiliary Start and Charging Relay Function" is a description of how the voltage sensors and battery relays work to charge the chassis and coach batteries. This description is very similar to the description of how the BIRD, Isolation Relay (Trombetta), and Battery Disconnect Relays work together in those applications that use the BIRD and Trombetta instead of a BCC.

Guess I have to include an edit in my manual for those applications where there is only a BCC and no Trombetta & BIRD (like mine).

This also points out the importance when talking to Thor Customer Service to ensure you provide them a VIN. Claude had done that and Thor Customer Service verified he had a BCC and that precluded having a BIRD and Trombetta (that we spent the better part of 2 days looking for). It is interesting to point out that Jamie's Axis is a 2014, and Claude's 2015 Vegas 24.1 is identical to mine. The moral here is that Thor's builds can have variance within a specific model year .
Attached Files
File Type: doc TH-1020 Troubleshooting guide.doc (35.0 KB, 359 views)
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:27 PM   #6

THOR #2601
Here is a picture of inside the cover on the fuse/circuit breaker box under my driver's seat in the storage compartment. The only thing identifying it is what looks like a part number in the upper left corner of the corner. Also notice it is a Thor part and not an RV Custom Product like the BCC.

Surprisingly, the PDF Jamie sent you I had with the documents Thor had sent me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016 Fuse Box.JPG
Views:	429
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	3274  
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 10-28-2016, 06:39 PM   #7

THOR #2601
So -- after spending two days trying to find Claude's BIRD & Trombetta that do not exist, I suddenly realized that Thor uses two different battery control systems on the Vegas/Axis. One uses the Battery Control Center and the other uses a BIRD and Trombetta to control what battery set charges when and under what conditions.

I had assumed that all Vegas/Axis used the BIRD & Trombetta as is installed on my 2015 Vegas. The manual I compiled only addressed the BIRD/Trombetta installation in controlling battery charging.

I revised the manual today to include a description of the Battery Control Center application and updated relevant pictures for both applications.

Here is the link to where you can find the revision. The link at the 7th post of the sticky on the Motorhome Tech Topic area contains the new revision.
https://1drv.ms/w/s!AiYx6DLSeiiP6UNyy_VYGDO0BW6L
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 11-27-2016, 12:23 AM   #8

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Chassis Battery Charge Issue

Okay,
This may sound like something that has been posted before but need to share the issue while still fresh in my mind from the most recent outing. So we parked the 2016 24.1 Axis at the camp site for Thanksgiving. Dry camping this time. Parked on Wednesday.... only used the chassis radio as far as the chassis battery was concerned. Ran the generator for more than an hour in the morning and in the evening. Saturday morning.... went to start up the engine to depart and.... nothing.... Luckily, I held down the emergency start rocker switch and the engine turned over so we didn't need to call the relative for a jump.
Thought the generator and shore power were supposed to charge every battery above the tires.... What do you think is the problem?
Old 11-27-2016, 12:41 AM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
You can check whether the generator (or shore power if you plug in) is charging the chassis battery by reading the voltage off if the right side of the Trombetta (when looking at it from the front). It should read from 13.6 to 14.2. From your post, it looks like that may not be happening. I had a similar problem on my 2016 Axis. It turned out to be a miswired BIRD. Is your coach new? Have you had any problems with charging the house or chassis batteries previously?
Old 11-27-2016, 01:58 AM   #10

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Charging Issue

Yes, bought it new last January. I have had the chassis battery go dead when plugged in to shore power and sat for about four weeks. No problem with the coach batteries, either with generator or shore power.

I plan to call the RV dealership the coming week to set up the last of the fixes under the one year manufacturers warranty. This issue and a few other minor things.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:50 AM   #11

THOR #4366
We had a similar problem. This is occurs, or at least on ours, when the BIRD is wired on the cranking battery side of the Trombetta rather then the house side. The WFCO in ours doesn't always output a high enough voltage for the BIRD to activate the Trombetta.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 01:38 PM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
We had a similar problem. This is occurs, or at least on ours, when the BIRD is wired on the cranking battery side of the Trombetta rather then the house side. The WFCO in ours doesn't always output a high enough voltage for the BIRD to activate the Trombetta.
Then your WFCO is really not working. The Trombetta (if it is working correctly) needs just 13.1v to open. The WFCO should put out 13.6v in its normal charge mode and 13.2 in float mode - more than enough to activate the Trombetta. InAxis Earl's case it seem the Trombetta may be working from the alternator to the house batteries but not visa versa. If that is true, it may be miswired from the factory as mine was.