Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2015, 05:19 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Did Thor drop Vegas 24.2?

Or was the 24.2 an Axis model only? I don't recall for certain, but thought both Axis and Vegas lines offered the same floorplan models.

I was looking to see if specs had been upgraded but they haven't. They still show the E-350 instead of the E-450.

Is it likely Thor is dropping a slow selling floorplan to make room for a new one? As I recall the last new floorplan model was introduced during a major RV show around this time of year (maybe first week in December?).

Old 11-20-2015, 05:29 PM   #2

THOR #2121
Answered my own question.

I did a web search and found many Vegas 24.2, so it appears they have been delisted. The new ones I saw were highly discounted. I'm guessing they were never a popular floorplan.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:55 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
That floorplan always screamed "tailgate machine" to me. No permanent bed, lots of room for lounging and/or watching TV, big kitchen area, and lots of TVs (including the outside TV).

If I were to tailgate a lot of sporting events (or even other events) its the floorplan I would buy..its perfect for that.

Interesting in that the floorplan is still on the Axis website, but not on the Vegas one.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:24 PM   #4

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
...cut....

Interesting in that the floorplan is still on the Axis website, but not on the Vegas one.
Thor is so slow updating their WEB site that it's hard to say what it means. Perhaps they haven't updated Axis page yet, or maybe they plan to make Axis and Vegas different -- although I doubt that.

It's also interesting they finally updated the wheelbase on one of the floorplans that was listed incorrectly.

I just hope they replace the 24.2 with a typical Euro-style floorplan, or at least closer to that. But if I'm realistic, now that they are building on the 14,500-pound E-450, they are more likely to go the other direction. I'd bet a two-slide floorplan will be introduced before long.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:46 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
I'd bet a two-slide floorplan will be introduced before long.
That or a "super slide" floorplan where 20' or more of one side slides out. Much like the 31E Chateau:

Chateau Floorplans
Old 11-20-2015, 09:28 PM   #6

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1503
I doubt if the E350/450 chassis could handle the additional weight of a second or super slide.

Bruce
Old 11-20-2015, 09:30 PM   #7

THOR #2121
Quote:
That or a "super slide" floorplan where 20' or more of one side slides out. Much like the 31E Chateau:
....cut....
Perhaps, although shorter due to shorter motorhome length. I'd guess around 15 feet is maximum they could use unless they stretch the Axis/Vegas beyond present models. And I was told recently they wanted to keep length short.

Either way I don't expect a product I'd be interested in owning.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:40 PM   #8

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
I doubt if the E350/450 chassis could handle the additional weight of a second or super slide.

Bruce
It's already being done with many Class Cs on same E-450 chassis with 14,500 pound GVWR. An extra 2,000 pounds between E-450 and E-350 (14,500 vs 12,500) is more than enough to offset an extra slide or a bigger full-wall slide.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:21 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
The Chateau that I posted is on an E-450 chassis (Class C).
Old 11-20-2015, 10:41 PM   #10

THOR #2121
Yes, if modern slides added that much weight, it would then be possible to eliminate the typical slide in compact motorhomes and drop chassis rating to SRW Econoline E-350 range, which is similar to new Transit chassis in weight rating.

Ford still makes the lighter-duty SRW in cutaway for small Class Cs, but no longer appears to offer the SRW as a stripped chassis. I imagine that if a large company like Thor wanted it, Ford would build it for them.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:41 AM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Yes, if modern slides added that much weight, it would then be possible to eliminate the typical slide in compact motorhomes and drop chassis rating to SRW Econoline E-350 range, which is similar to new Transit chassis in weight rating.

Ford still makes the lighter-duty SRW in cutaway for small Class Cs, but no longer appears to offer the SRW as a stripped chassis. I imagine that if a large company like Thor wanted it, Ford would build it for them.
I would imagine if a company asked them for a lighter chassis Ford would direct them towards the Transit as that is the future of Ford's Vans.
Old 11-21-2015, 02:30 AM   #12

THOR #2121
Quote:
I would imagine if a company asked them for a lighter chassis Ford would direct them towards the Transit as that is the future of Ford's Vans.
Ford is already making a lighter-duty E-Series with single rear wheels, but only as a Cutaway. I believe the GVWR is 10,050 pounds. If requested I don't see why they couldn't leave the body off on that size also.

Since the frames, engines, transmissions, etc. are the same in Cutaway versus Stripped E-Series chassis, I'd expect Ford would bolt on a different rear axle if requested by a major purchaser like a Thor, Winnebago, etc...

The Transit in my opinion is not equal to the E-Series. Even with single rear wheels, the E-Series has a much higher Gross Combined Weight Rating. That allows pulling a toad or trailer that the Transit just can't do.

I know we are starting to see compact motorhomes being built on Transit Cutaway chassis, but I have yet to see a stripped chassis version of the Transit.
Old 11-21-2015, 02:36 AM   #13

THOR #2121
The lighter chassis with SRW I referred to are nothing new. Granted, they are not as popular.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	1071  
Old 11-21-2015, 04:54 AM   #14

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
I noticed the Vegas didn't have the 24.2 listed a while back ... and was thinking wow, good thing we got one while still available!

While the tailgater target demographic does make sense, that's far from how we looked at the floor plan. Consider many short RVs don't have dedicated beds unless it's one over the cab or tucked in a corner. It was Thor who 1yr ago finally offered, at least some of us, another choice on how & where to utilize that extra bit of length a dedicated easy in/out of bed access added to an RV length. Compromises and points of view ...
Old 11-21-2015, 01:06 PM   #15
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Ford is already making a lighter-duty E-Series with single rear wheels, but only as a Cutaway. I believe the GVWR is 10,050 pounds. If requested I don't see why they couldn't leave the body off on that size also.
Right but I think Ford would like to stop E-Series production completely. Their clear path forward is the Transit. It really is only a matter of time before all E-Series chassis goes away and they start making heavier Transit chassis models.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:07 PM   #16

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCreek View Post
I noticed the Vegas didn't have the 24.2 listed a while back ... and was thinking wow, good thing we got one while still available!

While the tailgater target demographic does make sense, that's far from how we looked at the floor plan. Consider many short RVs don't have dedicated beds unless it's one over the cab or tucked in a corner. It was Thor who 1yr ago finally offered, at least some of us, another choice on how & where to utilize that extra bit of length a dedicated easy in/out of bed access added to an RV length. Compromises and points of view ...
I agree that as a motorhome is made smaller, and hence space becomes more of a premium, that even more compromise has to be made. I also agree that giving up dedicated beds is a common one. Practically all Class B van campers don't have a dedicated bed, and for good reason -- there would be too little space left.

The picture I posted above of a short Class C is a good example of having to compromise sleeping space in order to get length down to 19 feet. I realized that the Thor Chateau 19G is the same unit Cruise America rents as their smallest motorhome. That unit is about 6 feet shorter than most Axis/Vegas floorplans, so it's easy to see that a bedroom is out of the question.

In looking at the 19G floorplan, I think I would have a much harder time accepting the wet bath than the lack of a permanent bed. I don't mind turning a couch or dinette into a bed every night, but a tiny wet bath is a deal breaker. Like you say, different points of view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	729
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	1072  
Old 11-21-2015, 01:47 PM   #17

THOR #2121
Quote:
Right but I think Ford would like to stop E-Series production completely. Their clear path forward is the Transit. It really is only a matter of time before all E-Series chassis goes away and they start making heavier Transit chassis models.
I don't disagree with Ford wanting to make the E-Series go away, but the only part of the Transit that lends itself for larger Class Cs like those built on E-450 is the cab's sheet metal.

The Transit is way too light with it's unitized structure to handle a 30+ foot Class C. And I don't know if you have looked at a Transit van, but the space between the front seats is so narrow that it would make it too hard for many older RVers to move to the back of the coach.

Ford may adapt the Transit's cab over a ladder-style truck frame to create a heavier-duty chassis for larger motorhomes. GM took that approach decades ago when their unitized-frame vans couldn't be used for larger Class Cs, but that didn't go all that well for GM.

In the mean time I would much rather have an E-Series with a heavy-duty truck V8 or V10 than a Transit with a V6.

For smaller motorhomes I would prefer to see Ford beef up the E-Series single-rear-wheel's chassis rating well above that of the present DRW Transit's, and similar to DRW Mercedes Sprinter's. Ford SRW pickups are up to 11,500 GVWR, and RAM 3500 now go to 12,000 pounds in 2WD. That would easily accommodate motorhome sizes that the Transit and Sprinter now handle (23~24 foot).

When buyers figure out that their new Transit Class Cs can't even tow a Honda Civic, I think many will walk away.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:42 PM   #18
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post

Bruce
My Forest River Class C on the E450 was 28 feet (31 feet overall) and handled 2 slides quite well and never had an issue with either one. The bedroom slide made for a nice walk around queen size bed and the living room slide mad the living area much roomier. As a note, that coach did not have levelers but rather the stabilizer jacks. Forest River also makes a 3 slide version which is the 2500 TS (25 feet interior).
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 04:28 PM   #19

THOR #2121
Thanks to everyone for expressing your views and opinions.

Sounds like general consensus is that we are more likely to see larger/expanded Axis/Vegas floorplans before we see smaller/simplified ones.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:08 PM   #20

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Sounds like general consensus is that we are more likely to see larger/expanded Axis/Vegas floorplans before we see smaller/simplified ones.
There has been a solid market for smaller rigs, such as the Born Free, RoadTrek, etc. Aging baby boomers and young families will continue to drive this market. I believe you'll see continued innovation in smaller and midsize units. Look at all the choices added in the last few years.

We feel the Vegas/Axis was a leap forward. Just what we wanted at this stage, in features and price point. Perhaps your perfect unit is on the drawing boards right now. The waiting is the hardest part!