Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2017, 04:12 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Illinois
THOR #4282
No matter the time of the year the last few days of a month is typically best for any commission based sales.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:14 AM   #22

Model: Hurricane 31K
State: Florida
THOR #3520
Northern tier of states may have a different slow season than more southerly places. Dealers in south Florida have told me that lots of snowbirds go home in new rigs leaving their tradeins on the lot in spring. The summer vacationers just aren't active customers.
Other places along the Gulf may have similar stories.
Chuck Prck in CasaLoca
Old 01-15-2017, 11:21 AM   #23

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasaLoca View Post
Northern tier of states may have a different slow season than more southerly places. Dealers in south Florida have told me that lots of snowbirds go home in new rigs leaving their tradeins on the lot in spring. The summer vacationers just aren't active customers.
Other places along the Gulf may have similar stories.
Chuck Prck in CasaLoca
Arizona is the same way, snowbirds buy in the winter, drive it home in the spring.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:02 PM   #24

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
THOR #6280
My advice would be to use the Internet to find who has what your looking for. You can look at models nearby to make your brand and option selection in person. Use the net to find who in America has it. Inquire with many dealers and give each the price the last one quoted you. When you discover you saved thousands by doing this you won't feel bad about buying a plane ticket to fly out and pick up your new RV.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:11 PM   #25

Model: Hurricane 31K
State: Florida
THOR #3520
No matter where you buy, make sure you have a dealer in your area that will/can service your unit. Having to drive/tow hundreds of miles to get service would, for me, be a very strong negative against a brand no matter how much I liked the product. Think after the sale before you buy.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
Old 01-15-2017, 06:01 PM   #26

THOR #6280
Do you suppose boomers retiring that can afford RV's are buying smaller since the kids are gone. In turn the now grown kids are not buying family size RV's because they can't afford them having missed the boat in hard work equals good career and benefits?
Old 01-15-2017, 06:08 PM   #27

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
Do you suppose boomers retiring that can afford RV's are buying smaller since the kids are gone. In turn the now grown kids are not buying family size RV's because they can't afford them having missed the boat in hard work equals good career and benefits?
Many of the coaches sold in Arizona were by widows and widowers, sad that they have to sell but understandable. Furniture and condos are the same way to, many furniture resellers. Most of the condos and homes in the area where my mother lived were sold after a spouse passed away.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:08 PM   #28

THOR #6280
Best Time to Buy?

The best time to buy an RV is when the planets are aligned. Really? No not really. Buying an RV is like male child birth if men could actually do that. The fun was all in the beginning everything after that was work! The best time to buy is when you have done all the following. You have researched RV’s, checked out blogs, BBB reports, RV forums, searched the internet for deals and prices, visited a few local dealers and walked their lots and toured some RV’s, picked out your preference with the exact options you want, gotten what you think is the best price by comparing prices from Internet dealers and your local dealers while telling them each other’s price quotes. After about 3 months of this you are almost ready to buy because you have noticed the price you have now has stabilized (nobody is giving you better pricing). So you decide it’s time to buy. Wrong!
Here is what I did and you decide if I bought at the right time.
I did all of the things above and ended up with a price I thought could not be beat. Then I saw an advertisement for an RV show coming to my area in about a week so I held off from buying thinking I could maybe get one last look before spending a godawful amount of money. My wife and I attended the Greater Chicago RV show in Schaumberg, Illinois January 13, 2017. We paid the $10 entry fee and spent a few hours looking at all the cool RV’s indoors (where it’s warm). There were tons of manufacturers units along with dealers from all over. Sadly we did not see our choice on display anywhere (2017 Thor Synergy). We approached the booth/table operated by a dealer named General RV because I knew they sold Synergy’s from my research on the internet. I told them what I was looking for and asked if they had any “Show Special Pricing” and told them “if the price was right I would buy on the spot”. They apologized for not bringing my model to the show but offered to check their inventory and what they had on order to see if they had what I was looking for. In a few minutes we were shaking hands the deal (my Iliad) was over and we now own the RV of our dreams.
The deal and the real deal.
List price $130,000. Best deal I could get after 3 months shopping local and internet dealers $84,000. The real deal on the card the sales guy handed me at the RV show? I won’t post that in case somebody there gets into trouble but I will tell you it was more than $54,000 off the list price. Your smart do the math.
Best time to buy an RV? For me it was after doing lots of homework, lots of shopping, attending an RV show in January 2017 to purchase a 2017 model year coach. There’s more. It comes off the line in April for delivery so I don’t even have to Winter store it at least this year.
Four out of four puppy's approve of this posting!
Old 01-15-2017, 07:01 PM   #29

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
The best time to buy is:
  1. early morning
  2. late evening
  3. Saturday
  4. End of Month
  5. End of Model Year

Sorry - Just kidding! The best time to buy is when you feel comfortable with the selling dealer and the cost.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:53 PM   #30
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz102 View Post
We decided to start looking for a larger motorhome and went and looked at a dealer yesterday. Not a lot of inventory on his lot, like 1 or 2 of each model he carried. Of course, the salesman said it was a good time to buy because nothing is selling this time of year and they want to move what they have. I'm wondering if you are less likely to get the best deal at a time when so few are selling that the dealer is looking at it as "thats all the money I've got coming in; I have to pay for everything out of that."

I called another dealer who said he had none of the models we are looking at but had some on order for March. Thats probably going to be the case with most dealers, that they will have more inventory when they anticipate the season starting. I would think they'd want to move things off the lot then to keep getting new units in.

Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.
If you can find an RV Show in your area...go ! You can visit with dealers..see what they have to offer all under one roof. Most units are on sale at 'SHOW' pricing .. if a dealer does not have what you are interested in at the Show...ask a salesperson what they have available and what the Show pricing is.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 03:20 PM   #31

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
As one data point, I bought a new 2017 motorhome in early November. It was 34% off MSRP, which was the best deal I could find at the time, so I went for it. But then during the holidays they had the same model with the same options on sale for $2K less than I paid, and that sale is still on now. So, I would have been better off waiting another couple of months. Based on this, it looks to me like January may be the best time to buy a new one, assuming you can find the one you want.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:16 PM   #32

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
It seems to me that they often drop advertised prices gradually as the next year's model release date approaches. When the 2018s show up, they won't have as much discount, resulting in differential between 2017s and 2018s. This cycle just seems to repeat, adjusted by demand, inflation, greater content of next model, etc.