Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2016, 11:58 PM   #1
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Challenger in for warranty work and service

Well, my Challenger went in today for its first warranty visit as well as a chassis service, generator service and state inspection.

When the service manager pulled my record he already had a list of 12 warranty related items. I had sent that list to them and Thor back in March and he also had the email message from Thor authorizing the repairs be performed on a deferred basis. I made that agreement with Thor so the coach wouldn't be sitting at the dealer during the height of the camping season.

I also added three additional items to the warranty list which include the Axxerra loosing power, the inner dome of the skylight and the furnace wooden air grate bowing to the point where it is hitting a slide seal when the slide goes in and out. The air grate bowing just happened this past week.

According to the dealer, all manufactures, not just Thor, are taking about 2 to three weeks for parts delivery. Although most of my items do not require parts, there are a couple of trim items that require color matching for replacement.

I gave the dealer 6 weeks for repairs.

We'll see how this goes.

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:47 PM   #2

Model: 34B
State: New Jersey
THOR #3523
Hope you get it back soon
Old 01-20-2016, 02:03 AM   #3
Site Team

THOR #1469
Received recall notice for steps

Well, after sending an email to Thor last month and being told the step recall did not apply to my coach today I received the official recall notice in the mail. Since my rig is at the dealer for other warranty work and service I'll give them a call and have them apply the fix while the coach is there.
FMCA - F432054
Old 01-20-2016, 12:38 PM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
We have a few things that have been annoying but have not precluded us from using our great Challenger. One of them will require additional work so we are setup for mid-April at Thor factory to apply fixes. Hopefully, all goes well.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:00 PM   #5
Site Team

THOR #1469
When I took the coach in and was showing the service manager the warranty items I asked about how someone removes the pantry drawer. He crawled around under the drawer looking and then decided that determining how to remove the drawer needs to be an actual line item on the service ticket. If/when I get the answer I will be sure to post it on the forum. This issue will be a "show me" moment when I pick the coach up after repairs and service.
FMCA - F432054
Old 02-06-2016, 12:26 PM   #6
Site Team

THOR #1469
Status update

Talked to my dealer yesterday and got a status update on my coach.

Shower skylight inner dome - repaired
Loose trim outside drivers side - two broken screw heads replaced and repaired
Bathroom window leak - window removed and resealed
Bathroom trim board damaged from leak - waiting for new trim board from Thor
Wall paper border by bathroom window buckling - repaired
Top kitchen drawer not locking closed - lock latches adjusted
Furnace grill bowing - installed better and additional mounting points
Step recall - waiting for parts from Lippert/Thor
Slide wipe seal coming loose - repaired
Radio looses power - cannot duplicate problem
Divots on floor - not a warrantable item (explanation below)
Rear clearance light burned out - replaced not a warranty item
Chassis service - complete
Generator service - complete
State safety inspection - complete

The floor divots, and the explanation follows what I have observed, are caused by things such as a person sitting in a dining chair. The floor is floating foam and minor divots will come and go. I have observed in the coach that a divot today may be gone tomorrow. The divots I pointed out to the dealer when dropping off the coach are not the same ones that I identified after taking delivery of the coach.

As a note, at no time did any divot cause a break or crack in the vinyl flooring and they can only be seen when viewed at a certain angle with the lights off and sun coming in the front window.

So far, other than the radio, I'm happy with the service provided.
FMCA - F432054
Old 02-06-2016, 12:40 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Is the radio the Jensen 212?
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:54 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Is the radio the Jensen 212?
The radio is the Axxerra and the power issue is intermittent. I always knew this was going to be a problem. Sometimes it looses power three times in the first 10 miles other times it will roll for hours on end with no issues. I believe when I get the coach back home I'll cut and reconnect all of the power wires and see if that fixes the issue during my April trip. If not the radio is history.
FMCA - F432054
Old 02-16-2016, 12:48 PM   #9

THOR #1020
dstankov - headed in for ours in April. Did you stay in your coach at night while the coach there for repair?
Old 02-16-2016, 01:12 PM   #10
Site Team

THOR #1469
Ben

No, we dropped it off and told the dealer they have it until the end of this month.

During my last check in with the dealer they were waiting on a piece of wood trim and the step recall parts from Thor.

My dealer does, however, allow folks to stay overnight with hookups but they cannot be in the coach when it is inside the shop.
FMCA - F432054
Old 02-17-2016, 01:37 AM   #11

THOR #1020
Thanks Dave - We are actually taking ours to Thor factory. Hopefully all the ankle biters will be fixed.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:49 PM   #12

Model: Challenger 37KT
THOR #2628
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
The radio is the Axxerra and the power issue is intermittent. I always knew this was going to be a problem. Sometimes it looses power three times in the first 10 miles other times it will roll for hours on end with no issues. I believe when I get the coach back home I'll cut and reconnect all of the power wires and see if that fixes the issue during my April trip. If not the radio is history.
Im not overly impressed with the radio, they need a better option.

KC
Old 02-17-2016, 05:31 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCook View Post
Im not overly impressed with the radio, they need a better option.

KC
KC

I totally agree and I am currently looking at a Kenwood as a possible replacement. I am looking at others as well but for some unknown reason I keep going back to the Kenwood.

On issue I have is most of the possible replacements include GPS which to me is a needless expense since the built in GPS units don't allow configuring the coach and I don't want to go down some road with a 10 K bridge which is exactly what the Magnadyne did to me on my prior coach. Luckily I live 3 miles from that bridge so I was able to avoid that issue. Even set as a bus it took me through some very tight turns. Based on the experience with the Magnadyne, no built in GPS for me.
FMCA - F432054
Old 02-17-2016, 05:38 PM   #14

Model: Challenger 37KT
THOR #2628
Which Kenwood are you looking at? I like the ones that have Apple play.

KC
Old 02-17-2016, 05:50 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
I gave the dealer 6 weeks for repairs.

I hope all goes well!

If this is your first service, you might also want to have them check the front end alignment, now that you have stocked and loaded your coach.

I gave my dealer 9 hours for all of my warranty repairs when I took it in for the first warranty service. Dropped it off at 7 a.m. on my way to work, picked it up at 5 p.m. on my way home. Everything was done without a hitch.

I don't have a Challenger, just a measly Hurricane, but the work necessary was very similar.

All Thor factory authorizations and parts were ordered and received before I dropped off my motorhome. The Parts Manager and the technicians installing the parts reviewed all the components before I scheduled my drop off with the service writer.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:51 PM   #16
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCook View Post
Which Kenwood are you looking at? I like the ones that have Apple play.

KC
The 2 I am looking at are the 6703 and the 9703. A couple months ago, while the wife was at PetSmart I walked next door to Audio Express and started looking. I'll need to stop by there again and take another look around.
FMCA - F432054
Old 02-17-2016, 06:12 PM   #17
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher View Post
I hope all goes well!

If this is your first service, you might also want to have them check the front end alignment, now that you have stocked and loaded your coach.

I gave my dealer 9 hours for all of my warranty repairs when I took it in for the first warranty service. Dropped it off at 7 a.m. on my way to work, picked it up at 5 p.m. on my way home. Everything was done without a hitch.

I don't have a Challenger, just a measly Hurricane, but the work necessary was very similar.

All Thor factory authorizations and parts were ordered and received before I dropped off my motorhome. The Parts Manager and the technicians installing the parts reviewed all the components before I scheduled my drop off with the service writer.
Had the front end alignment checked by Ford prior to the shakedown cruise and it was right on the money.

Right now the holdup are the parts for the step recall. I have no intentions to drive 125 miles (one way) to pick up the coach and then have to schedule another appointment for the step issue. Since my first planned trip is not until mid April I have no problems with it sitting in the dealers yard while we wait.

I'm getting ready to contact Thor and ask if they have an estimated shipping date for the parts.
FMCA - F432054
Old 02-18-2016, 01:03 AM   #18

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Had the front end alignment checked by Ford prior to the shakedown cruise and it was right on the money.

Right now the holdup are the parts for the step recall. I have no intentions to drive 125 miles (one way) to pick up the coach and then have to schedule another appointment for the step issue. Since my first planned trip is not until mid April I have no problems with it sitting in the dealers yard while we wait.

I'm getting ready to contact Thor and ask if they have an estimated shipping date for the parts.
Hey Dave. Did the dealer agree that the alignment was covered under the warranty or did you have to go to Ford to get them to cover it? Sounds like they stepped up and fixed everything important. Good to know. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:45 AM   #19
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Hey Dave. Did the dealer agree that the alignment was covered under the warranty or did you have to go to Ford to get them to cover it? Sounds like they stepped up and fixed everything important. Good to know. Thanks for sharing.
Actually the way I handled the alignment was through the Ford dealer that services my cars. I talked to my service advisor and she called the Ford heavy truck center and made my appointment for me. I got there for the appointment they verified the alignment and bid me a good day.

Now in full disclosure I may have received special treatment because my Ford dealer has been servicing all of my vehicles, except motorhomes, for about 15 years and they even got to sell me three new Fords in one week a few years ago.
FMCA - F432054
Old 02-18-2016, 02:08 AM   #20

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Thanks. I've used my local Ford dealer for all my RV servicing for the last 8 years, so I will try them first. They have someone local who does their alignments, but I don't know if Ford will be willing to pay for that. I will have to see how far the nearest Ford heavy truck center us to me.