Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2019, 12:00 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2
State: Colorado
THOR #15515
Thanks. We are renting a car and going up to Saugatuck for rhe day.

Old 07-10-2019, 01:29 PM   #42

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Bounder 35P
State: Florida
THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrooney View Post
Thanks. We are renting a car and going up to Saugatuck for rhe day.
You'll go right past me here in South Haven. Honk and wave!!!

You will enjoy your new levelers. Please do one thing, though, if you haven't already: call the company and make sure you are on their calendar. I showed up to get mine and they looked at me like "Ummmmmm...we weren't expecting you." Apparently, the salesperson forgot to actually put me on the schedule after checking it to see when would be a good date! Luckily, they were able to get me in, or there would have been some serious noise.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:09 PM   #43

THOR #15515
I will honk.

I will call and double check. I hope they got it right. I came 1200 miles for the install.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:32 AM   #44

THOR #15515
We got our Bigfoots installed yesterday. Quadra did a great job. Our appointment wasn't till noon, they got it in early and got it done by 12:30 but we were in Saugatuck and didn't pick it up till 4. They are very easy to operate, we pulled in to the CG and pushed the button and we were basically level needed very little tweaking. The site was pretty level to begin with.
Thanks for all the response.
Kevin
Old 07-12-2019, 09:54 AM   #45

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #9701
Quote:
We got our Bigfoots installed yesterday. Quadra did a great job. Our appointment wasn't till noon, they got it in early and got it done by 12:30 but we were in Saugatuck and didn't pick it up till 4. They are very easy to operate, we pulled in to the CG and pushed the button and we were basically level needed very little tweaking. The site was pretty level to begin with.
Thanks for all the response.
Kevin

Good to hear all went well. Big Foot is a very good company and their service is exceptional. We have had very good luck with the auto level and are happy with the purchase. Enjoy your throughout our Pure Michigan!
PS) We will be visiting your home state in September...
Old 07-12-2019, 08:28 PM   #46

THOR #15515
You have a beautiful state. Enjoy Colorado.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:08 PM   #47

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
When I installed mine last year I talked to one of the guys at BF cust service guys and they recommended 6 to 7 inches of extention (13 inch long cylinders on my Platinum jacks) so to mount around 6 inches (when retracted) from the ground to allow good clearance and maximum lift.
A couple of questions about your self installation of Big Foot Levelers
What was the most challenging part of the installation?
If you had to do it again, would you self install or go to the factory for the installation?
On the previous question, Would you please explain your reasons why?
I’m considering a self installation, not only to save a few bucks, but also to avoid taking the time to travel to Michigan.
Thanks for your response.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 03:38 PM   #48

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKO View Post
A couple of questions about your self installation of Big Foot Levelers
What was the most challenging part of the installation?
If you had to do it again, would you self install or go to the factory for the installation?
On the previous question, Would you please explain your reasons why?
I’m considering a self installation, not only to save a few bucks, but also to avoid taking the time to travel to Michigan.
Thanks for your response.
Drilling the holes was the worst thing. Took me HOURS to drill 8 holes! Im talking about 15 - 20 hours? (I lost track and dont want to think about it anymore). Plus broke like 10 drill bits, wore out 10+ drill bits. Used 3 diff drills. Back an fort the HD and Harbor Frt for new bits and drills. PITA

I suggest for eveyone go to BF in MI to install for like $300 - $500. My local shops (that I didnt trust) wanted like $1000 + to install entire system. But perhaps you have have them WELD it one for like $100. I think that way might be better than bolt on.

I like doing everything myself and have drilled 100's of holes without a problem so this was crazy.

I did find that my cordless inpact driver with a Habor Frt step bit did the best. But I broke off two of these in the holes and it took a while to get them out. I would get 8 of them (one for each hole) if I did it again. If they dont break on you they are worn out by the time your done so dont waste your time with them. I also used cutting lube and wd 40 to lube the bits.

I did a big writeup somewhere on my problem if you want to look for it. I dont want to revist this part but im glad I did it myself. I can check or repair anything on it myself and BF can overnight parts if I need them.

Looking back I still cannot believe how much trouble the 8 holes were. But the frame is double thick where you have to mount it and I used pilot holes (at first) and like 3 diff size bits to step up the the size i needed. Im sure I can do it quicker now but IMO it would still take your hours laying on your back under the RV with bloody knuckles.

I also didnt have the time to travel to MI (I work 50+ hours a week = self employed so no vacation time).

So if you do it yourself: 8 + step bits, Cordless Impact driver and figure TWO weekend to install kit. Plus have a helper....The jacks and pump are heavy! I used my floor jack and intalled all by myself but that wasted hours as well.

But the bleeding I had my wife press the button then stop when I was done at each jack. And she used her little hands to twist on the fitting to the pump (it was tight location).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 04:15 PM   #49

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Drilling the holes was the worst thing. Took me HOURS to drill 8 holes! Im talking about 15 - 20 hours? (I lost track and dont want to think about it anymore). Plus broke like 10 drill bits, wore out 10+ drill bits. Used 3 diff drills. Back an fort the HD and Harbor Frt for new bits and drills. PITA

I suggest for eveyone go to BF in MI to install for like $300 - $500. My local shops (that I didnt trust) wanted like $1000 + to install entire system. But perhaps you have have them WELD it one for like $100. I think that way might be better than bolt on.

I like doing everything myself and have drilled 100's of holes without a problem so this was crazy.

I did find that my cordless inpact driver with a Habor Frt step bit did the best. But I broke off two of these in the holes and it took a while to get them out. I would get 8 of them (one for each hole) if I did it again. If they dont break on you they are worn out by the time your done so dont waste your time with them. I also used cutting lube and wd 40 to lube the bits.

I did a big writeup somewhere on my problem if you want to look for it. I dont want to revist this part but im glad I did it myself. I can check or repair anything on it myself and BF can overnight parts if I need them.

Looking back I still cannot believe how much trouble the 8 holes were. But the frame is double thick where you have to mount it and I used pilot holes (at first) and like 3 diff size bits to step up the the size i needed. Im sure I can do it quicker now but IMO it would still take your hours laying on your back under the RV with bloody knuckles.

I also didnt have the time to travel to MI (I work 50+ hours a week = self employed so no vacation time).

So if you do it yourself: 8 + step bits, Cordless Impact driver and figure TWO weekend to install kit. Plus have a helper....The jacks and pump are heavy! I used my floor jack and intalled all by myself but that wasted hours as well.

But the bleeding I had my wife press the button then stop when I was done at each jack. And she used her little hands to twist on the fitting to the pump (it was tight location).
Absolutely. Get them done up here in Michigan. Much easier AND you can drive our beautiful highways when you're finished!!! We have an occasional pothole, but nothing our MH's can't handle.

Old 07-13-2019, 04:20 PM   #50

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
THOR #12827
Thanks for your input.
I can understand the hole drilling issue. I installed a rear sway bar and had to drill two holes. One wasn’t bad, but the other was very difficult. One drill bit grabbed about half way through and fractured the bit near the shank. Also took several layers of skin off of my knuckle.
I also prefer to do things myself, but as I get older, I’m starting to realize my limitations.
But, being a glutton for punishment, more than likely will end up doing it myself.
Thanks again.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:19 PM   #51

THOR #15515
That's what I am doing. I came from Colorado to get mine installed and am now in the UP enjoying MI. They work great.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:34 PM   #52

THOR #15054
Quote:
That's what I am doing. I came from Colorado to get mine installed and am now in the UP enjoying MI. They work great.
Where are you up there?
Old 07-13-2019, 10:45 PM   #53

THOR #15515
I am in Rapid River the night.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:20 PM   #54

THOR #15054
Quote:
I am in Rapid River the night.
Head north and see the Pictured Rocks. Beautiful. Like the Grand Canyon with a giant lake in it!
Old 07-14-2019, 01:03 PM   #55

THOR #15515
Thanks TimmyB for the recommendation we will go there today and check it out. We just booked a boat tour. Thanks again