Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2016, 08:55 PM   #1

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
Bilstein vs Koni Shocks??

I tried to find old posts on this subject, but nothing came up.

I am looking at replacing the front shocks on my 2015 Thor Hurricane
MH (has 8100 miles) with either Bilstein or Koni shocks. I'm trying to improve the ride. I believe it came with Bilstein shocks from the factory
but not the better one's.

Open to opinions and comments.

I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:40 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
I replaced the original shocks on my last coach (33'n Class A) at about 15K with Koni shocks. I was disappointed that it didn't improve the ride or handling much. Your results may vary. You might check a more general forum, like IRV2 or RVforum.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:12 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Dynamax REV 24 RB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #3069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Saran View Post

MH (has 8100 miles) with either Bilstein or Koni shocks. I'm trying to improve the ride. I believe it came with Bilstein shocks from the factory

Talk to these guys. SuperSprings

They sell what you need and they know what you need. Helpful , not pushy.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:58 AM   #4

Model: Thor Axis 24.1
State: Utah
THOR #2474
Send a message via Skype™ to mhbell
Quote:

I just replaced my factory Bilstein shocks with a new set of Bilstein shocks after 58,000 miles. Half the price of koni. I also added a Steer Safe. For handling look up the CHF Fix, Track Bar, and air bags.
Mel
Old 04-09-2016, 02:30 AM   #5

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
I already have the steer safe and just ordered the track bar.

Do they add the air bags just to the rear or front also?
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 02:46 AM   #6

Model: Thor Axis 24.1
State: Utah
THOR #2474
Send a message via Skype™ to mhbell
Quote:
I already have the steer safe and just ordered the track bar.

Do they add the air bags just to the rear or front also?
Most only put them on the rear if the have a lot of weight on the hitch or in the rear pass through to bring the coach up to level while traveling. I know a few who also have them on the front They do help if aired up correctly. The CHF (cheap Handling Fix), New Bilsteins and Steer Safe really Helped mine. The track bar was already factory installed. I have thought about Firestone air bags, But am not sure it would be worth the cost for what little they would help. New shocks and Track Bar along with the CHF will do more than anything for handling.
Mel
Old 01-14-2020, 07:07 AM   #7

Model: 2015 Palazzo
State: California
THOR #17213
I have 2015 Palazzo 33.2 and am really confused as what shock to use. Do I need Safe-T-Plus, and Sway Bar, or just one do the trick? Do I need Sway Bar for rear or just front is all I need? As far as shocks, is Bilstein better than Koni? And finally I couldn't find the correct Bilstein that fit in my RV for front and rear, and about to quit looking and spend more money for Koni.
Can someone please help, this is my first RV so I do need I the help I can get. Thanks,
Old 01-14-2020, 02:51 PM   #8

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabibS View Post
I have 2015 Palazzo 33.2 and am really confused as what shock to use. Do I need Safe-T-Plus, and Sway Bar, or just one do the trick? Do I need Sway Bar for rear or just front is all I need? As far as shocks, is Bilstein better than Koni? And finally I couldn't find the correct Bilstein that fit in my RV for front and rear, and about to quit looking and spend more money for Koni.
Can someone please help, this is my first RV so I do need I the help I can get. Thanks,
I would highly suggest that rather than throwing parts and other people's preferences at your Palazzo you go to a reputable private RV service center and have them evaluate your coach. You may need to have it weighed, aligned and may be needing new tires first since your coach is at least five years old.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:39 AM   #9

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
I would highly suggest that rather than throwing parts and other people's preferences at your Palazzo you go to a reputable private RV service center and have them evaluate your coach. You may need to have it weighed, aligned and may be needing new tires first since your coach is at least five years old.

That is great advice. Your coach might not need any of that stuff! Alignment, weighing and tire replacement are absolutely the right place to start.

Your Freightliner chassis is a whole different animal than the F-53 gas chassis mentioned in several posts in this thread. Find the right shop and be ready to spend some $$$. (You don't have to do everything they suggest!)
Old 01-16-2020, 01:18 PM   #10

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
Both will control vehicle motions well, but I have read that Konis have a harsher ride compared to the Bilsteins.

On my class C (E450 chassis) I got a good alignment, installed big Hellwig swaybars, and installed a Saf-T-Plus steering stabilizer. These made a very significant difference in the driveability and stability of the RV. I then installed Bilstein HD shocks, which didn't make as big a difference, but got rid of the wallowy feeling over undulating roads and improved the ride a bit.