Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2019, 09:12 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas
State: New Hampshire
THOR #16986
How do we keep our 2014 Thor Vegas 24.1 from freezing without having to winterize it ? Is it just a matter of heating the tanks every now and then ? Live in Mew Hampshire and aren’t heading South until November ... help us newbies pleeeze !!

Old 10-19-2019, 09:13 PM   #22

THOR #16986
New Hampshire ! ��
Old 10-19-2019, 10:09 PM   #23

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #3169
Tank Heaters

Don’t worry about the tank heaters. The heating pads will probably fall off like mine did......
Old 10-19-2019, 10:26 PM   #24

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Just for reference.
2018 24.1 with 12v electric pad tank heaters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1019191522.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	20919  
Old 10-20-2019, 01:36 AM   #25

THOR #16986
So we have no way to protect us from freezing our RV ? No winter weather protection?
Old 10-20-2019, 02:12 AM   #26

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Drain the tanks.
Empty tanks don't care.
I thought I read you were putting it to bed for the winter.
Pour a gallon of rv antifreeze in each tank and you'll feel better about it all.

And, go have the rv place winterize you this first time.

https://www.amazon.com/Facon-Holding...1537464&sr=8-3
These have built in thermostats.
They are the same pads on my 24.1 and probably all other 24.1.

You're $100 bucks away from having tank heaters.
A radio installation place will charge 100 bucks to install if you don't want to do it.

I'd pull power from the bin under the drivers seat and install the switches right inSide that bin. The is no reason for those switches to be in the house.
$15 more will put them on a keyring type fob remote control.

We'll walk you through this first year, then you'll help us walk others through on your next year's.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:55 AM   #27

Model: Siesta Sprinter
State: Texas
THOR #1178
my same problem, now solved

I was running the furnace on my first trip in my Siesta Sprinter, with temperatures in the teens the final 4-5 days. Huge ice chunks exited the sewer drain when I got home. Returned to dealer for warranty work & asked them why there was ice when I was supposed to have heated tanks (in spite of the owner manual saying the tanks were heated by the furnace ducts). They found the heat pads were in place, & wiring ran from them to the control panel, BUT the wrong control panel cover had been installed, with no switches for the tank heaters & a few other switches that should have been there. All problems were solved by replacing with the correct panel cover. Never had ice again. Have your service dept. investigate!
Old 10-20-2019, 11:05 PM   #28
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueTac View Post
How do we keep our 2014 Thor Vegas 24.1 from freezing without having to winterize it ? Is it just a matter of heating the tanks every now and then ? Live in Mew Hampshire and aren’t heading South until November ... help us newbies pleeeze !!
If you are going to see consistent below freezing temps before you head south - WINTERIZE... Its not hard or time consuming. I did it each year before we left for sunny FL in December from Michigan... and most years on our way back when white stuff was still in the forecast. Simple to do with a couple of gallons of antifreeze for lines, tanks, drains... or an air compressor to blow out lines and 1 gallon for the tanks/drains.
De-winterize when you get out of frozen country and enjoy.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:25 PM   #29

Model: 3719 Newmar
State: Arkansas
THOR #14120
I blow my lines out. It’s quick and easy. If we get some good weather we can quickly get the MH ready. I do live in the south so that may not be a good idea for people live in the north.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:47 PM   #30
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
I blow my lines out. It’s quick and easy. If we get some good weather we can quickly get the MH ready. I do live in the south so that may not be a good idea for people live in the north.
Blowing out lines works fine in north too!
Did both methods when I lived in Michigan. Preferred blowing the lines out - used less anti-freeze - and no flushing of lines needed in spring to remove anti-freeze.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:50 PM   #31

Model: 3719 Newmar
State: Arkansas
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
Blowing out lines works fine in north too!
Did both methods when I lived in Michigan. Preferred blowing the lines out - used less anti-freeze - and no flushing of lines needed in spring to remove anti-freeze.

And that’s why I decided to blow the lines. Anti-freeze just sounded bad to me. BUT I am new to this MH stuff. Most of the people on this forum forgot more than I know.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:03 AM   #32

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
I have a 31Z 2018 and just found out that the furnace heats the tanks. Looked for switches for the last year.
As I remember only the 29M & 33X Hurricane and Windsport have 12 volt tank heaters. The rest of the floor plans have enclosed and propane heated tanks. Of course any tank that is above the floor is considered heated.

My fresh water tanks is in a basement compartment below the kitchen and that compartment is heated. The cross coach water supply is in a heated compartment under the shower. The black tank is in a heated basement compartment under the bathroom. The gray water tank is above the fuel tank and the passage below the gray water tanks and above the fuel tanks is furnace heated (the cross coach water lines are in that passage).

We have camped in December at Grandfather CGRVR for 8 days without a problem. We haven't had a white Christmas, since we left Northern Maine 38 years ago, so before I get to old to drive I thought we would give winter camping a try in a newer RV. We used about 110 lbs of propane, refilling the water and dumping tanks every three days. It was nice to get back to the 65 degree January temperatures in San Antonio and thaw out.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 01:19 PM   #33

Model: Hurricane 34F
State: Virginia
THOR #15498
Mine are duct heated as well, question, the dump valves are outside of the heated compartment, has anyone had issues of the valve or liquid freeze up at the dump point? Second what has been the coldest one has camped with duct tanks with no issues?
Old 10-22-2019, 02:41 PM   #34

THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf8U View Post
Mine are duct heated as well, question, the dump valves are outside of the heated compartment, has anyone had issues of the valve or liquid freeze up at the dump point? Second what has been the coldest one has camped with duct tanks with no issues?
Wind is a big factor in keeping a coach warm when parked. Fortunately I have never had any wind to speak of when winter camping in ths coach. Coldest has been 11 F above at night and warming up to 31 F above during the day in this coach. The biggest draft is with the slides out so we leave them in. Moister control is also a problem with single pane windows. The biggest heat loss is the windshield. I though about putting Reflectix between the windshield and the Magne Shade but I never did. I always try to dump when the sun is on the left side of the coach and the weather is the warmest. I suspect my winter camping days are over as there is just to much danger for an 80+ year old couple.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:00 AM   #35

THOR #13374
Watching this discussion re: heater on black and gray water tanks. I have them on my 24.1 2014 Axis. Question: is this A/C, D/C, or Propane fueled? Thanks
Old 10-23-2019, 01:47 AM   #36

THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
Watching this discussion re: heater on black and gray water tanks. I have them on my 24.1 2014 Axis. Question: is this A/C, D/C, or Propane fueled? Thanks
On an Axis they are named 12 volt DC waste tank heaters. You have two switches on the Thor master control panel to turn the on or off. Be advised the do not come on until the temperature is about 37 F degrees.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:53 AM   #37

THOR #16986
So not as clear as mud yet ! We are leaving in two weeks for our great adventure. However, in the next two weeks, before we leave the temps will drop into the low 20's before we leave. But in the day the temp highs will be in the 50's. Is it better to fill the tank with water and run the heaters now and then, or is it better to keep tank empty and fill when we get into warmer weather. We are trying to avoid putting the pink stuff back into our system, but afraid of having a freeze.... ? What to do ?
Old 11-19-2019, 04:50 PM   #38

Model: 2019 Four Winds 22B
State: North Carolina
THOR #16398
I have a 2019 Four Winds 22B. I climbed under the rig and noticed two blue electrical connectors by my grey tank and two more by my black tank. Plus I have two blank or dummy indicators for tank heaters on my control panel. Thus, I believe my rig is wired for heater pads but nothing is stuck to the tanks themselves. My questions are: 1) where can I purchase the actual switch that goes on my control panel? I went to the Thor manual but it says they do not sell parts retail 2) do I need to buy "Thor" heater pads so they will wire into my connectors easier or will any heater pad do? The connectors look like a wire nut. 3) Do I need to order a specific amp heater pad or are they all standard? Any other advice is always welcome! Thanks, Donna
Old 11-19-2019, 05:07 PM   #39
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
You should probably ask your dealer is they can order and install the pads and switches...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:27 PM   #40

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
My 2015 Four Winds 22 did not have any pads. The Blanks in the panel were labeled and were where the switches would go if heaters were installed. There is nothing unique about "Thor" tank heaters. They don't make them. Just google RV Tank Heater Pads and you will find many.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote