Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2021, 11:52 PM   #21
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by recentcoin View Post
I can't promise that this will work for everyone but, since October 2020, we've been full time RV'ers and this works for us. YMMV.

It's a multiday process. Never takes more than a few minutes on any one day.
For us, tank dump day is generally Sunday.
Sunday (post dumping) - 2 gal of water with 1/2 cup of Borax (mix well since it's powered and you want it all to dissolve. great time to scrub out the toilet bowl since borax is great at cleaning, softens the water and helps break surface tension)

Monday - Flush one of these pods https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I follow that by taking 1 packet of yeast (from the baking aisle) with a pinch of sugar dissolved in a cup full of warm water to make them activate. Once the yeast get all bubbly, into the toilet and down it goes. Yeast feeds the beneficial bacteria that I just added.

NOTE: The composition of septic bacteria products is different and usually involves anaerobic bacteria which, as a rule, makes a big stink. I try to foster aerobic (and less stinky) bacteria in my tanks.

Tuesday - 1/4 C of Dawn and 1 gal of water (helps break surface tension and get rid of greasy residue - also a chance to scrub out the toilet bowl)

Wed-Thurs-Fri-Sat drive around or crank up the music and have a dance party while cleaning the rest of the RV to agitate the tanks

I have found that this method keeps them from stinking even though the Dawn soap is the only scented product on the list. It seems to keep both the black and grey water tanks clean and odor free. The grey tanks have a modified schedule and plan. We generally treat the grey tanks once a month (not weekly) and only use enough water to dissolve the borax and dawn soap. We rotate which drain (kitchen, bath sink, shower) gets the pod.

When we got the RV, the sensors had quit working and we had a definite poo pyramid going. Our in-laws had repeatedly pulled into RV parks and just kept the valves open (which is a no-no) followed by parking the RV for extended periods of time with sludge in the tank (another no-no). So it's so different from the OP's problem with the ledge. It's taken a few months, but this seems to have started to resolve the issues we were seeing. The sensors are working again and we're only dumping once a week vs dumping every 3 days or so.

Using the tank washers doesn't hurt either. Some RV parks will rent you the tank rinse wands . I haven't used them but I've talked to several people who swear by them for cleaning out that list bit of sludge.
I like this idea!

Old 03-17-2021, 03:58 AM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #22569
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
I am no chemist, but I read on the 'net:
Borax kills mold and inhibits mold growth. Borax also kills germs and bacteria. It is a disinfectant, biocide, insecticide, pesticide, herbicide and fungicide.

So I am wondering if borax would kill the microbes (typ. bacteria) and/or the yeast (fungus) you are adding?
Definitely, which is why I don't add them on the same day. The 1/2 C in gallons is pretty dilute. It should be just enough to raise the pH of the tank about 1/10th or so of 1 point. Carrying out ~24 hours of normal bodily functions should provide enough e. coli, etc. to exhaust the borax before the addition of the "good guys" the next day, but it might be worth experimenting.

The goal here is to inhibit anaerobic bacteria while promoting aerobic bacteria. If something didn't get digested and dumped, I'm assuming it's got a higher concentration of anaerobic bacteria since they tend to clump at the bottom of the tank. You can google Obligate Anaerobe to see what I'm referring to so I try to kill as many of them off as possible by forcing them to swim around in the borate solution. This seems to be particularly effective in killing off the ones that make the worst of the odors (e.g. sulfates and methane)
Old 03-17-2021, 11:46 AM   #23
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by recentcoin View Post
Definitely, which is why I don't add them on the same day. The 1/2 C in gallons is pretty dilute. It should be just enough to raise the pH of the tank about 1/10th or so of 1 point. Carrying out ~24 hours of normal bodily functions should provide enough e. coli, etc. to exhaust the borax before the addition of the "good guys" the next day, but it might be worth experimenting.

The goal here is to inhibit anaerobic bacteria while promoting aerobic bacteria. If something didn't get digested and dumped, I'm assuming it's got a higher concentration of anaerobic bacteria since they tend to clump at the bottom of the tank. You can google Obligate Anaerobe to see what I'm referring to so I try to kill as many of them off as possible by forcing them to swim around in the borate solution. This seems to be particularly effective in killing off the ones that make the worst of the odors (e.g. sulfates and methane)
Cue the song...

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 12:58 PM   #24

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Some interesting thoughts.

Paul
Old 03-17-2021, 03:50 PM   #25

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post

The corollary is never buy a coach with the toilet on the left (passenger's/co-pilots) side.
Tank location does make a difference for sure

My black tank is under the 1/2 bath which is on the passenger side

My Grey/black tank is in the middle with the full bath macerator toilet also on the passenger side. Shower and washer plus kitchen all on the drivers side

The macerator toilet does require you operate it properly, filling the bowl per the timed flow
Old 03-17-2021, 03:53 PM   #26

THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmers View Post
The day before dump / departure, we fill the black tanks 3/4 full of water which is usually from our fresh water tank. The better half likes a full tank of OUR water before leaving home.
This allows me to empty a lot of water when finished camping.
This also turns the black tanks to almost all liquid before dumping.
I have seen with our visitors that we can accumulate an imitation waste mountain because they feel the need to conserve water.
Water is your friend when it comes to black tanks and being clean.
We do something similar but with not quite as much water, always has worked across many different rigs over the past 50 years
Old 03-17-2021, 04:10 PM   #27

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
All this cool science chit-chat will not help the OP with their gravity problem, how to fling some poo off the ledge. I know our passenger-side privy has a 90° elbow to the tank, dunno if there is a 'ledge' but we have not had problems. We typically walk to the CG facilities rather than fill ours, but that is our cup of tea.

I also feel it is a holding tank, not a chemical factory I need to tweek to make the bugs happy. If someone has problems with smell, well they have some design issue that needs addressing as the tank proper will smell with the first visit from "Mr. Hankey".
Old 03-17-2021, 07:14 PM   #28

THOR #6903
Some good pointers from several folks. Most if not all will help the situation.

One thing that definitely would help is to add water to the black tank to get the level up to or slightly above the ledge. Going to reduce your capacity and if boon docking then that isn't going to help. Really sounds like a poor design choice by the engineers.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:25 PM   #29
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
...Really sounds like a poor design choice by the engineers.
Sometimes they only have just so much space available; for these things.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 07:45 PM   #30

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Question Where is the OP

Thirty posts and the OP has never returned, I do hope they cured the privy of its belching.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:09 PM   #31

Brand: Jayco
State: New Jersey
THOR #19560
Macerator permanent installed (in my Jayco Precept) Came installed new. Best dollar ever spent! so easy and safe.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:33 PM   #32

Model: 22 Freedom elite
State: Virginia
THOR #21610
I've been RV.ing since 1984 never had a clog .i keep at least couple gallon water in Black tank and a squirt of Dawn Soap in it . when I break camp I dump as many ice cubes as possible in the commode. Flush. .. drive serpentine to the dump site .I use board to tilt the RV so i get a better dump Black tank then Grey. go inside run Toilet some more dump again. Never had a clog.keebler.
Old 03-18-2021, 12:31 AM   #33

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
If your toilet sits on the curb side (I don't care which brand) you may have problems if you get too conservative with the water. There are only X amount of tank mfgrs and all the Rv mfgrs are using the same ones. Our solution is add a bowl of water and dish soap flush to lube the slide. Do the business, flush followed by another bowl of water with a shot of dish soap. Fills up the black tank rather quickly if you are dry camping but with the curb side toilet that is the only solution or get ready to rod out the poo dam.
The other solution is it's called a marine toilet so do the SOS, Shot On Shore
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 02:31 AM   #34

Model: 33.1
State: Alabama
THOR #21442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryllinmc View Post
We bought a brand new Thor Windsport 29M and have a serious issue with the black tank clogging all the time. If the RV sits level during camping, the solids fall into the black tank onto a ledge, they promptly back up and clog the toilet...which then burps "stuff" all over. Ultimately, I have to scour my campsite to find a stick to push the poo off the ledge into the tank! Thor is not willing to help us fix this problem.

I have seen other people on this forum with the same problem but no one has responded with how they fixed the problem. Is anyone out there who has had this problem and fixed it?? Using more water will help but is not an optimal solution as we like to dry camp a lot.
Brand new ACE and same problem.
No amount of water helps. I've stood there for 5 mins with the flush pressed and it doesn't push anything down the ledge. I've even filled the bowl up and dropped it all at once.
Tried fabric softener, chemical tank additions.
I've resorted to have a metal pole i keep with me, and use when needed.
Horrible design. Hopefully I can figure out a solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1621218241957.jpeg
Views:	115
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	30567  
Old 06-12-2021, 09:03 PM   #35

State: California
THOR #22152
We have the same problem with our 29M. Paid to have the system cleaned with same problem again. As most have stated use alot of water and chemicals to keep the system clean. I also use crushed ice to sloush the tank before dumping, but still pursuing a better solution with Thor. Get a long toilet brush to clean down to the tank as well.
Old 06-12-2021, 10:36 PM   #36

Model: 33.1
State: Alabama
THOR #21442
I've gotten used to the extra water. Problem now is I'm dumping the black after 2 days. Boondocking is gonna be tough if i have no where to dump. Thor set me up to Boondock with the solar equipped 12v system but the sewer system is gonna be a problem.
Old 06-12-2021, 10:39 PM   #37
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Why not try a heavy mix of Calgon in the black tank, and see if you can get by with less water?
Old 06-12-2021, 10:42 PM   #38

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Solution: Do not put anything in the black tank unless you have eaten first. My first boat had the clog problem and a friend showed me how the TP mounded up under the bowl, hardened into concrete and clogged the pipes. Since then, I have had one golden rule “no TP in the toilet”. Four large boats and five RVs later and I have never had another clog.
Old 06-12-2021, 10:51 PM   #39
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
What he said...
We have also never put any toilet paper in either of our two rigs" no problems sver.
Old 06-12-2021, 11:30 PM   #40

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
What he said...

We have also never put any toilet paper in either of our two rigs" no problems sver.
How do u wipe your booty

Tags
black tank issues