Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2016, 04:16 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Louisiana
THOR #3181
Unhappy Black tank woes

I've got a big issue with my 2016 Four Winds 31W. Solids seem to fall straight out of the toilet into the holding tank, causing a major blockage on a regular basis (every third day or so). The problem seems to be with the shape of the holding tank that is installed level but which has a small well on the discharge end. Liquids seem to head to the well. It seems intuitive there should be a 90 degree elbow to deflect waste flowing from the toilet to the tank, but there isn't anything. We use a lot of water when we flush, but this happens TOO regularly!

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Old 10-23-2016, 07:09 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 36TL
State: Georgia
THOR #5536
You are running water into the tank for a while before you use the toilet? Correct? I normally hold down the foot pedal for a while to get a minimum of 5 gallons if not 10 before we even start using the toilet. Hoping your issue is that simple..
Old 10-23-2016, 11:26 AM   #3

Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
THOR #4158
I always use a lot of water and never have an issue. I dump more frequent, but system works great.
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 02:10 PM   #4

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Our past 5th wheels were plumbed the same way, just a straight discharge right down into the black tank.

After dumping the black tank I back flush it several times until it runs clear. Then I go inside and put a little "smell good" into the toilet. I hold the flush pedal down and like oldgold said I run about 5 gallons into the black tank to start the week.

Each toilet use I start by barely pushing down the pedal thereby putting 3 or 4 inches of additional fresh water into the bowl. Do your thing and then hold the pedal down to flush with another 1/2 gallon or so. Then I hold the pedal barely down again to make sure there is at least an inch or two of water standing in the bowl.

We use Scott's RV butt wipe (Walmart) and tons of water. Never had an issue.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:12 PM   #5

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #3487
Wink Black Tank

Eat more fruit !
Old 10-24-2016, 12:50 AM   #6

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
After I dump, I put 3 gallons of water in the black tank, 3 toilet bowls full. If I am going to use the toilet for solids I put a few inches of water in the bowl, mostly to prevent skid marks in the bowl., but I add only a minimum of water when I flush.

Every few dumps use my Tornado flusher to clean out the tank.

It works for me.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:25 AM   #7

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: California
THOR #5361
I have a FW 31W and so far have not had an issue. But we do hold a few gallons of water in the tank keeping the tank area under the toilet wet so everything flows down hill the tank does have a slight fall in it but requires RV to be level. If there was a 90 degree elbow you would have a much worst problem. Keepin it wet is the key.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:22 PM   #8

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Ace View Post
Eat more fruit !
Or you could go that route....
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:13 PM   #9
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
As several had said - liquid makes all the difference...
Just reading the frequency of your issue (every 3 days) - are you leaving the black tank valve open while hooked to sewer?
Only way I can picture the problem you are having at that frequency...

The BLACK valve should be CLOSED normally - water in the tank to start with, add your choice of chemicals/additives... and use it... (more use = more liquid and more time for chemicals/additives to do their thing...)

I typically leave the GRAY valve OPEN until a day or so before I dump the black - closing it then and allowing it to collect some water.
Dump the black... use tank rinser if you have one... dump the gray to rinse the hose... and start over (more water... chemicals/additive... etc)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 02:05 PM   #10

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Michigan
THOR #2628
Lots of water each time you flush, also in between try filling black tank 1/3 way with water and Dawn dish soap. It will clean your black tank.

KC
Old 10-24-2016, 06:19 PM   #11

THOR #5361
KCook does that work I've thought of doing that, but was afraid there would be some sort of chemical reaction with the holding tank chems.

Bruslymike think of one of those stand up porta potties, you dump into a tank of treated water the solids break down in the water. Our toilet works the same way, unless your on hookups with the valves open then just use lots of water to flush your on hookups so no need to conserve water.
Gee I hope my (CA governor) is not reading
Old 10-24-2016, 06:30 PM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSimon
unless your on hookups with the valves open then just use lots of water to flush your on hookups so no need to conserve water.
Even with full hookups you should always leave the black tank closed (as mentioned above).

I'll leave the grey open but the black is always closed. On an extended stay with full HU when the black tank gets full I simply empty it, close the valve again, and pre-treat the tank with chem's + a gallon or so of water.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 06:49 PM   #13

THOR #5361
That make's sense
Old 10-24-2016, 07:25 PM   #14

Model: Challenger 37KT
THOR #2628
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSimon View Post
KCook does that work I've thought of doing that, but was afraid there would be some sort of chemical reaction with the holding tank chems.

Bruslymike think of one of those stand up porta potties, you dump into a tank of treated water the solids break down in the water. Our toilet works the same way, unless your on hookups with the valves open then just use lots of water to flush your on hookups so no need to conserve water.
Gee I hope my (CA governor) is not reading
It worked well in our Challenger, now the black tank sensors are working correctly.

KC
Old 10-25-2016, 02:22 AM   #15

Brand: Still Looking
State: Louisiana
THOR #3181
Thanks Everyone!

Thanks for all of the advice. I only open the valve on the black tank when I'm ready to flush and empty it. This unit has a relatively small holding tank, but I'll try to add more water to the flushes.

I appreciate the dietary suggestions too!

Safe travels!