Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2020, 01:19 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Illinois
THOR #20161
Angry Brand new Thor Challenger FH with problems

Thought i would share my frustration with Thor. We purchased a new 2020 Challenger FH 4 weeks ago. We have been on exactly 1 trip to KY on it. Before we even took the 1st trip we found a hole in the water heater coil.... Then we found after the trip 3 drawers would not stay shut and one had the bottom fall out.... now we have the rear left jack not wanting to stay up all the way.......

SO I call Thor customer service as they had sent me a welcome email and letter..... I explained the situation and...... not even an apology... just told me to have the dealer take care of it.... Warranty.... I think that is lousy customer service and would have expected them to ask for the vin or at least my name..... nothing... the guy would not even let me talk to the head of the dept and begrudgingly gave me a name....

It is now in the shop again an they say the jack needs a new cylinder and valve.....this is a lemon....

Anyone else have a THOR issue like this?

Thanks for your ear...

Old 08-23-2020, 01:38 AM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Your story is not the first one we've heard that takes this tone. I'm sorry that you feel as if you've got a lemon; but give them a chance to make it right.
Nothing you described sounds serious: just very annoying.
I can appreciate your frustration, but you have to believe that it can all be fixed.
Good luck!
Old 08-23-2020, 01:46 AM   #3

Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
State: Texas
THOR #16693
Sorry you're having issues, but I'm afraid it's par for the course with most any new RV, regardless of manufacturer or price. Work through the issues, learn as you go, and don't let it get you down. I also bought new, have had similar issues and nearly gave up, but am getting her all right as we go. I've changed my focus from its quirks/faults, to remembering all the awesome places it's already taken us, the views we've woken up to, the friends made, and over 10000 miles without leaving us stranded...I know three couples that spent 6-700K on new rigs, only to have them towed in 2-3 times in the first year
cbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 01:48 AM   #4

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Everyone goes through some form of warranty issues in the beginning. Some more than others. Hopefully you have selected a good service shop/service department. Give the dealership/shop a chance to repair everything.

Paul
Old 08-23-2020, 02:16 AM   #5

Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
THOR #16693
I'd also add, if you're getting "strung along" and pushed off by your dealer or assigned repair facility, which is often the norm, give the factory service guys a shot. If you're understanding and polite with them, in my experience they'll bend over backwards to help you. I see you're in Illinois, so it's likely a day trip over/up there
cbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 02:18 AM   #6

THOR #20161
thank you all for the reassurance. I am hoping the dealer will come thru....
Old 08-23-2020, 02:23 AM   #7

THOR #20161
true i can drive to elk hart where they are built and try that thanks.
Old 08-23-2020, 03:05 AM   #8

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
Unfortunately the jack and water heater will need to be replaced. The drawers are easily adjusable with a small screwdriver on the slides. There is a black plastic "bump" that goes into an indent when the drawers are in. There is a small screw that adjusts the tension on the "bump". When the factory puts them in, I'm sure they never adjust them and the amount of weight in the drawers makes a difference in keeping them in as you go around corners, something our home kitchen drawers do not experience. Give your dealer a chance and enjoy getting out on the road. It will get better.
Old 08-23-2020, 03:12 AM   #9

THOR #20161
Good advice thx
Old 08-23-2020, 12:00 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
If the Dealership can't help: they have a factory service center in Wakarusa that seems capable of miracles.

Here's a phone number and address:
510 Ward St
Wakarusa, IN
877 855 2867
Old 08-23-2020, 05:46 PM   #11

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
Sorry about the problems your having we've been fulltime in our 2019 Challenger 37th very few small problems and it's been 2yrs and 7,000mi and still think it's great so hang in there. I'm surprised about your phone call to Thor usually they answer the phone with ,Hello what's your VIN number. Try to get appointment at factory sounds like they're in out fast great service .
Old 08-23-2020, 06:25 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Anyone else have a THOR issue like this?

Thanks for your ear...

[/QUOTE]

Ha

Welcome to the Thor Party!! Just did our 1st trip since last nov in our 2020 Thor where everything worked right! WooHoo!!
Old 09-02-2020, 06:28 PM   #13

State: Florida
THOR #19388
I'm a club member too!

My 2020 Tellaro was purchased the end of May and still isn't right. Far from it.
Don't want to list everything but for starters I can't plug into power, have to run it to keep batteries up. Disappointed is an understatement.
Old 09-02-2020, 06:32 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Is one of the new models with the Lithium batteries?
That's a pretty new system, and I would guess that it is inevitable for some "teething problems" to crop up with them.
Give Thor a chance to work the problem: they'll get it right for you!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:25 PM   #15

Model: Challenger 37FH
State: California
THOR #19539
I have a 2020 Challenger FH37. I had several minor warranty issues with the RV as well. The problems I had was not with Thor but the dealer I went through to get them fixed. Apparently, it is a common problem with most dealers. They are extremely inefficient and the quality of the work is very poor. The sales people will tell you they will take care of everything to well you the RV. But once you leave the lot, you are pretty much on your own. I was told by a friend that smaller RV service centers are much more efficient and better quality.
Old 09-02-2020, 07:29 PM   #16

Model: Challenger
State: New Jersey
THOR #7108
Try not to be discouraged. Any thing this complicated with this many systems and moving parts they ALSO goes down the road lol is going to have issues. We have a 2016 thor challenger37TB and We had a huge laundry list of stuff wrong in the beginning. There are things that still pop up from time to time (this year they gave us a complete windshield wiper assembly because we kept having the wipers run on us AFTER we turned them off, then they’d telescope too far and within minutes get tangled with each other and get stuck/broken.) BUT you just deal with them, get to know your rig, fix what you can yourself and get our on the road and enjoy this beautiful country. The key is to use it as much as possible in the first year while you are under warranty.
Old 09-02-2020, 08:15 PM   #17

Model: Thor challenger
THOR #17618
Haha you are just getting started ! Mine a 2019 challanger spent 14 weeks in the shop last year! But all was corrected by an independent mom and pop shop in the end , all under warranty! Most of the time down was at camping world bad mistake! I could not lost all the things wrong on mine you don’t have the time to read the list! Just find a good repair place and all will get better! Good luck.
Old 09-03-2020, 02:59 PM   #18

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I totally agree with the advice to find an independent repair shop that can do warranty work. It’s their only business and you’ll be glad you found hem even after your warranty is expired. Other recommendation is to fix everything you can yourself even if it’s covered. It’s quicker, you’ll know it’s done right and you’ll learn a lot about your RV. and you might enjoy it. Even if you have to pay for parts it’s sometimes preferable to losing your unit to the service jungle for days or weeks. IMHO.
Old 09-03-2020, 04:01 PM   #19

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Join the Thor Party!! WOOHOO!!

#1 Tip --- FIND A GREAT REPAIR SHOP!!

Our 2020 THor spent 7 months in the shop, from blown motor to crack water tank, replacing slides arms and motors, replacing Wineguard, etc.....

I never called Thor, they worthless IMO!

I use a Subaru Dealership that fixes RV's and authorized by Thor!

As much as I wanted to Drive the Rig off a cliff, they saved the day for US!!!

We are on our second trip without any issues, everything is still working!
Old 09-03-2020, 04:33 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Mac,
I'm glad to see that your Lovely Bride is driving one VERY grand rig around!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote