Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2021, 04:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger
State: Arizona
THOR #17423
Broken slide

I have a 2019 Challenger 37yt With 3 slides. The passenger side (which houses the fridge, kitchen, and dinette) has already been repaired once under warranty for creeping out. Now it seems to have jumped a couple of teeth and the lower rear end and is sticking out 1.5" while the rest of it is flush. Called Thor, opened a claim, was told mid October was when they are scheduling appts (am 4.5 hrs away and willing to drive there). I just need to get the appointment scheduled and they gave me a number to call for scheduling and the name of a person, have left multiple messages and have not gotten a return call. Have called back to customer service and they do nothing but forward me to his voicemail. You think a company the size of Thor would have more than one person scheduling (and I was told they do )and could get me scheduled in. I'm really frustrated as I'd heard the service of the factory was actually pretty good compared to the overall reputation of Thor products. We have future trips planned and can use the RV with the slide in, but I don't want to do any damage to it driving down the road with the slide the way it is. I'm fully aware of the shortage of RVs and parts as a result of the pandemic, so I realize there is no quick fix, but a general customer service return of a call is a different matter. Can anyone give me some guidance as to my dilemma?

Old 07-24-2021, 04:55 PM   #2

Model: ACE 33.1
State: Nevada
THOR #21278
Are you 4.5 hrs away from the THOR factory in IN? I prefer to take our 2021 THOR ACE to the factory to have the Living Room/Dining Room slide out looked at. But the IN factory service center is 1,850 miles away from where we live. After our recent 5K trip, I noticed the FRONT (lower part) of the slide is about 1/2 inch sticking out from the TOP portion. Also, we noticed a "strange crunching" sound when sliding out and back inside. When we got home, I tried to slide it out, then back in. Same thing. We owned the RV for 8 months now. Comparing the pictures from when we took delivery and now, I can tell there is significant gap at the bottom of the slide. We have one more short trip we want to do before our son goes back to school. It looks like we will camp and NOT extend the front slide out. I don't want to take a chance of it getting stuck in OPEN position.

I called the dealership where we purchased the RV from and the earliest they can get us in is September 14th. I was told to make a list of all warranty work I need. Aside from the slide out (which is our main concern), there were some electrical issues and propane gauge issue we need to fix before our 1 year warranty expires.
ador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 06:27 PM   #3

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Broken slide

While I agree you should be called back in a reasonable amount of time…. these are not normal times. The amount of newbies flodding the customer support lines is unprecedented. Not to mention Thor probably having a hard time finding people to add.

If you don’t want to wait, I would start looking for an RV Service / Restoration shop.

You can also call Lippert and see if they offer factory service in Indiana.

I would also use slide locks. They will assure the slide stays in place while traveling. I recommend slide locks regardless because a lot of force is placed on the slide mechanism when going around curves. I personally think this stress adds to some slide issues.

Also…. always remeber to hold the retract / extend button for 5 seconds after the motors stop to keep the motors sync’ed properly.
Old 07-25-2021, 11:56 PM   #4

Model: Palazzo 37.4
State: West Virginia
THOR #24315
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwoode View Post
I have a 2019 Can anyone give me some guidance as to my dilemma?
I feel your pain dk. We just went through a month long struggle to get an appointment.

The guy you need to talk to is Ballard E. Shell. AKA BJ
574-584-2120
beshelltmcrv.com

The problem is he may take a month to answer.

I finally raised a big stink on the Pallazo RV Facebook page. There is someone from Thor that monitors it. Kayla Tee. I don't often use Facebook but occasionally it's handy.

They raised a stink with someone at Thor and we got a return call.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-28-2021, 11:50 PM   #5

Model: Palazzo 37.4
State: West Virginia
THOR #24315
Quote:
Can anyone give me some guidance as to my dilemma?
dkwoode, Has this been resolved? I'm sure lots of members here would like to know the outcome.

D.
Old 07-31-2021, 02:08 AM   #6

Model: Challenger
State: Arizona
THOR #17423
Sorry hadn't checked back here in a few days. The Ballard guy is the number that I was given but he is not returned my call. Still waiting to get a call back from Thor.
Old 07-31-2021, 11:20 AM   #7

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
I personally don’t wait for warranty stuff. If I can’t fix it myself I’ll get rid of it. After reading horror stories about Schwintek slide mechanisms, I took Judge’s advice. I watched half a dozen how to videos about the system. Then inspected every motor, rack, wiring , and set screws on mine. Caulked up some spots. Made sure rollers were contacting the plates evenly. As Judge said, it’s not if, it’s when. I practiced the manual reset and stuff as well. Also use slide locks. Those little motors holding the slide, around a corner, recipe for disaster. I only extend after leveling. I hold button in and out for count of 5 both ways.

And let me add this, that teeny set screw holding the motor in place is really important. The wiring pointing away from the slide is really important. Sealant where the rack meets the inner wall is important.

This all being said, my question to the OP is this: Do you have unusual wear or gouges on the racks? If so, are they off center? If not, I think you’re ok. My living room slide is out about 3/8 of an inch in front. After checking everything, I think that’s from all the twisting and stress that the chassis movement puts on the box. Maybe I’m wrong but I think a small amount of “misalignment” is going to happen. I had. 5th wheel that had the same slide look and it worked well for 13 years.
Old 07-31-2021, 03:22 PM   #8

THOR #21278
Jimbo, I try to fix anything I can myself as well. But there are some issues that are beyond my skills.

I have an appointment with the dealer in September to fix some issues, before my 1 year warranty expire in November.

My main concern is one of the item you mentioned below. My FRONT, lower slide started developing a gap, about 3/8 of an inch. I also noticed the FRONT lower slide track showed some gouges. I hear something “pop” or “crunch” when I slide out/in. I checked every screw on the tracks and frame for anything loose. I did not find any. No objects stuck anywhere. Is this a simple adjustment that can be done by the dealership technicians? Or something that is better worked on at the factory IN)? That is about 1,500 miles away from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
I personally don’t wait for warranty stuff. If I can’t fix it myself I’ll get rid of it.

And let me add this, that teeny set screw holding the motor in place is really important. The wiring pointing away from the slide is really important. Sealant where the rack meets the inner wall is important.

This all being said, my question to the OP is this: Do you have unusual wear or gouges on the racks? If so, are they off center? If not, I think you’re ok. My living room slide is out about 3/8 of an inch in front. After checking everything, I think that’s from all the twisting and stress that the chassis movement puts on the box. Maybe I’m wrong but I think a small amount of “misalignment” is going to happen. I had. 5th wheel that had the same slide look and it worked well for 13 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	44F351C1-A873-4E04-B287-65F045E6A982.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	32363   Click image for larger version

Name:	E356A39C-C662-4066-A397-1CA73C29DDC7.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	32364  

Name:	11CC366F-F618-4517-8996-76A55AE40230.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	32365  
Old 07-31-2021, 05:50 PM   #9

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
While I agree you should be called back in a reasonable amount of time…. these are not normal times. The amount of newbies flodding the customer support lines is unprecedented. Not to mention Thor probably having a hard time finding people to add.

If you don’t want to wait, I would start looking for an RV Service / Restoration shop.

You can also call Lippert and see if they offer factory service in Indiana.

I would also use slide locks. They will assure the slide stays in place while traveling. I recommend slide locks regardless because a lot of force is placed on the slide mechanism when going around curves. I personally think this stress adds to some slide issues.

Also…. always remeber to hold the retract / extend button for 5 seconds after the motors stop to keep the motors sync’ed properly.
Where does one get slide locks?
Old 07-31-2021, 05:51 PM   #10

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
From your pictures, your motor/track are out of alignment. It looks like the gear from the motor is grinding the track system. That needs attention. The track should not be getting chewed up like that photo is showing.

Paul
Old 07-31-2021, 05:53 PM   #11

THOR #12698
Amazon carries R V Slide Out Locks.

Paul
Old 07-31-2021, 05:56 PM   #12

THOR #20220
Where does on get slide
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 06:06 PM   #13

THOR #21278
Thanks Paul. The crunching sound started on the last 2 campgrounds during our recent trip. That gouge also wasn't there prior to our trip. I will have the dealer start a warranty work request authorization from THOR.

Do you think the track need replacement with that gouge? Is this simple re-alignment job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
From your pictures, your motor/track are out of alignment. It looks like the gear from the motor is grinding the track system. That needs attention. The track should not be getting chewed up like that photo is showing.

Paul
Old 07-31-2021, 07:40 PM   #14

THOR #17765
There’s a motor up at the top. You have to peel back the rubber to see it from the outside. There’s a little set screw that is really important. It keeps the motor from jumping up and down and jumping sync. Was that a picture of the bottom track? I really think that something is causing your slide to hang up. There are rollers and rails underneath it. If it’s not sitting equally on each roller contact strip that could cause it to hang up. Based on the gouging I wouldn’t use it. Leave it in. Yes it should be an easy fix for a qualified experienced tech. Need a fork lift if the motor and gears need adjusted as the whole slide could fall out.
Old 07-31-2021, 07:43 PM   #15

THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Search RV slide locks on Amazon. Just make sure you remove them before you slide out or it’ll tear the crap out of the trim. I made labels and stuck them by each switch to remind me to take the locks out before activating slide out.
Old 08-04-2021, 06:38 PM   #16

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Miramar 37.1 SOLD
State: Michigan
THOR #2972
Ballard shell email

This is his email beshell@tmcrv.com
Old 08-04-2021, 06:45 PM   #17

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #970
I had slide problem and was told to take it to a shop in Fontana, CA, J&L RV repair. Thor paid them. See if they will pay a local shop...or go to J&L, they know what they are doing..

Quote:
I have a 2019 Challenger 37yt With 3 slides. The passenger side (which houses the fridge, kitchen, and dinette) has already been repaired once under warranty for creeping out. Now it seems to have jumped a couple of teeth and the lower rear end and is sticking out 1.5" while the rest of it is flush. Called Thor, opened a claim, was told mid October was when they are scheduling appts (am 4.5 hrs away and willing to drive there). I just need to get the appointment scheduled and they gave me a number to call for scheduling and the name of a person, have left multiple messages and have not gotten a return call. Have called back to customer service and they do nothing but forward me to his voicemail. You think a company the size of Thor would have more than one person scheduling (and I was told they do )and could get me scheduled in. I'm really frustrated as I'd heard the service of the factory was actually pretty good compared to the overall reputation of Thor products. We have future trips planned and can use the RV with the slide in, but I don't want to do any damage to it driving down the road with the slide the way it is. I'm fully aware of the shortage of RVs and parts as a result of the pandemic, so I realize there is no quick fix, but a general customer service return of a call is a different matter. Can anyone give me some guidance as to my dilemma?
Old 08-05-2021, 12:04 AM   #18

THOR #12698
Hi petef

I have gone to J&L to have them repair my Equalizer hydraulic level system. They were also the ones that originally installed the system on my motor home. They are a very friendly and honest family run R V Repair Facility.

Paul
Old 08-05-2021, 02:18 AM   #19

Model: 35SF
State: Michigan
THOR #18186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Scuba,
I purchased load bars. Seem to be way over kill but very easy to use with the ratchet in and out.
Large foot print rubber ends to reduce stress and many sizes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210804_220221_resized (1).jpg
Views:	52
Size:	466.4 KB
ID:	32559  
Old 08-05-2021, 02:24 AM   #20

THOR #20220
Great !
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote