Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2023, 06:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #26840
Brown out L2 Power Lost - Reset??

2014 Thor Tuscany 40rx, campground had a loose plug, was getting a random brown out loss on L2. They replaced plug and verified Power on both legs of plug. Surge protector shows all green lights and power on both legs from plug. But I still have no power on L2. Is there a reset switch somewhere. My schematics do not show wiring in detail.

Old 03-28-2023, 06:48 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmikego74 View Post
2014 Thor Tuscany 40rx, campground had a loose plug, was getting a random brown out loss on L2. They replaced plug and verified Power on both legs of plug. Surge protector shows all green lights and power on both legs from plug. But I still have no power on L2. Is there a reset switch somewhere. My schematics do not show wiring in detail.
No reset in the MH. Is your surge protector giving you power out on both legs? If so then the brown out could have burnt a poor connection or contacts in the ATS due to increased current draw to an Air Conditioner, Microwave, or other non-resistive load.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 06:51 PM   #3

THOR #26840
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
No reset in the MH. Is your surge protector giving you power out on both legs? If so then the brown out could have burnt a poor connection or contacts in the ATS due to increased current draw to an Air Conditioner, Microwave, or other non-resistive load.
Surge says power good both legs. I didn't have anything running, was barely pulling 7 amps total none of my appliances. microwave, a/c, etc were running. I have heard people mention some RED master reset button somewhere or something like that.
Old 03-28-2023, 08:20 PM   #4
Site Team

THOR #7035
There are red reset flags on the DC side. There are standard AC breakers on the AC side - no reset.

Try tripping your dual input breaker and reset it. Otherwise your surge protector may have done what it is supposed to do - sacrifice itself to save the downstream equipment. You won't know for sure until you get out a voltmeter and measure the OUTPUT of the surge protector.
Old 03-28-2023, 09:00 PM   #5

THOR #26840
Quote:
There are red reset flags on the DC side. There are standard AC breakers on the AC side - no reset.

Try tripping your dual input breaker and reset it. Otherwise your surge protector may have done what it is supposed to do - sacrifice itself to save the downstream equipment. You won't know for sure until you get out a voltmeter and measure the OUTPUT of the surge protector.
I removed the surge protector first to verify. Its out of the equation right now. I opened up ATS I have 122 volts on all the HOT where there should. Tried shutting the entire rig down, powering everything off. I even tried just generator; it is actually shows L2 with 8 volts (looked like a 0)
Old 03-28-2023, 09:29 PM   #6
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmikego74 View Post
I removed the surge protector first to verify. Its out of the equation right now. I opened up ATS I have 122 volts on all the HOT where there should. Tried shutting the entire rig down, powering everything off. I even tried just generator; it is actually shows L2 with 8 volts (looked like a 0)
What is "it".
Try describing where you are measuring:

Example:
ATS input from SP - L1 to neutral - 123 VSC, L2 to neutral - 124 VAC, L1 to L2 - 246 VAC
Old 03-29-2023, 10:51 AM   #7

THOR #26840
Quote:
What is "it".
Try describing where you are measuring:

Example:
ATS input from SP - L1 to neutral - 123 VSC, L2 to neutral - 124 VAC, L1 to L2 - 246 VAC

Yes, all at ATS input/output hot legs and 245 volts across legs. Looks like it's all good up to the Precision Technology Circuit panel in coach, the one that the control panel gets its reading. During one of those brown outs I have a red light come on and control panel with a message "voltage too high" I thought I smelt a little elec type burn from closet where dryer was, maybe it was that circuit panel. SMH, it's always something. But Thor had all the stickers upside down and half of it is labeled wrong, I mean really wrong.
Old 03-29-2023, 11:51 AM   #8

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Pull the coach panel and check voltage in

Tighten connections while you have it off